Core i3 7350K Overclockable Dual Core Review

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I still love LTT for all the crazy shit Linus does like whole room water cooling or that beast of a system with the Xeons and all those gpus. I think Linus is first and foremost a showman, and doing those over the top ridiculous builds is where he really shines and separates LTT from all the other PC channels. And then the Scrapyard Wars competitions are really fun too.

I like the insane builds and Scrapyard Wars also... but I don't like the BS that is currently going on, or how things feel less in quality.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

23 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Does a dual core gaming CPU make sense?? We sure didn't think so but...

Buy Core i7 7350K on Amazon: http://geni.us/7350K

I feel there wasn't that many games tested. 

Yours faithfully

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Actually, he has one stray cable at the top of his case for what I assume is the 8 pin EPS, and it bothers me, lol. 

that was a fan cable bud and its not der anymore

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

that was a fan cable bud

Guess you could say I'm not a... fan of it. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

11 hours ago, iPolymer said:

My 4790K is at 4.36 ghz, so can my old tech not hold up to the 7350K? I convert a lot of videos to .mp4 format and it take 80% of my CPU usage, is it about speed or cores for this? 

Despite being several generations old, your 4790k would still outperform the i3, especially with it overclocked like you have it... at least in video encoding tasks where generally all cores are used.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 hours ago, MageTank said:

Here I sit, with a stock clock, delidded, undervolted 6700k, lol. 

You delided your CPU and didn't even bother to OC it xD ?

I wish I had the courage to delid my i7 4790k, so I can overclock it without having to worry about temps lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

You delided your CPU and didn't even bother to OC it xD ?

I wish I had the courage to delid my i7 4790k, so I can overclock it without having to worry about temps lol

I delidded out of necessity. I use my 6700k in a very tiny ITX case, and I run some very stressful Prime95/Linpack runs on a 45mm vapor chamber. My temps even with CLU on the bare die still hit 76C, so there is no room for overclocking.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I delidded out of necessity. I use my 6700k in a very tiny ITX case, and I run some very stressful Prime95/Linpack runs on a 45mm vapor chamber. My temps even with CLU on the bare die still hit 76C, so there is no room for overclocking.

Ah okay that makes sense now.

Not sure why you didn't go with i7 6700 non K or maybe even i7 6700T CPU for your build.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Ah okay that makes sense now.

Not sure why you didn't go with i7 6700 non K or maybe even i7 6700T CPU for your build.

Got the 6700k pretty cheap ($300) and I came from a 6600T. Once my custom 4L case is complete, I should be able to get some overclocking out of it. I'll have the CPU fan directly against the intake vents, so there will be very little obstruction. I'll be modding this heatsink too, to add support for fans larger than 92mm (looking for 120mm). Once all is said and done, I hope to reach 4.5ghz completely stable under Linpack load while remaining under thermal junction temperatures. I could dial back my memory overclock, since faster ram makes the CPU hotter during these AVX tests, so I'll likely do that in the future.

Sadly, before I can finish any of that, I have to finish buying my other list of toys first. $400 165hz G-Sync monitor is next, followed by a $400 phone (to replace this junk Windows Phone) and maybe a 1TB M.2 960 Evo after that. Once all of that is out of the way, I'll focus on the heatsink modding and case construction. 

@ Luke Lafr

It would be need to see this i3 against the 6800k@~4.1-4.5Ghz. Contrast between extreme CPU frequency on one side, or extreme cores on the other.

Actually I think its launch demands a CPU roundup test.

Would be neat to see more videos on it either way :)

When testing how a CPU affects gaming shouldn't you be running high FPS instead of trying to game at 30fps 4K? I am under the impression that CPUs start being a bottleneck at really high FPS in games like CSGO. Shouldn't those scenarios also be tested?

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

1 hour ago, Keudn said:

When testing how a CPU affects gaming shouldn't you be running high FPS instead of trying to game at 30fps 4K? I am under the impression that CPUs start being a bottleneck at really high FPS in games like CSGO. Shouldn't those scenarios also be tested?

Yes. They should have. LMGs team didn't think of that for some god knows what reason. 

To test a CPU's bottleneck you're supposed to put as least stress on the GPU as possible.. So they should have used their Titan X(P), and ran at 1080p. 

Don't take any of these benchmark's results as accurate.. 

@Tao 

2 hours ago, Tao said:

@ Luke Lafr

It would be need to see this i3 against the 6800k@~4.1-4.5Ghz. Contrast between extreme CPU frequency on one side, or extreme cores on the other.

Actually I think its launch demands a CPU roundup test.

Would be neat to see more videos on it either way :)

Well like he said, this i3 is virtually a 7700k cut in half - half the cache, half the cores, same speed.  So if all you care about it total performance in heavily multi-threaded workloads, you could downclock the i7 to something like 2.5 GHz and get the same performance as the i3 at 5 Ghz, (in theory at least).  For gaming though I'm betting the i3 would win in that situation... even the added benefit of the 4 vs 2 physical cores couldn't compensate for that kind of clock speed shortcoming.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 14/1/2017 at 5:18 PM, LinusTech said:

"Does a dual core gaming CPU make sense ?"

Nop, dual cores are DEAD for me (and not just for Gaming) :dry:

59 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well like he said, this i3 is virtually a 7700k cut in half - half the cache, half the cores, same speed.  So if all you care about it total performance in heavily multi-threaded workloads, you could downclock the i7 to something like 2.5 GHz and get the same performance as the i3 at 5 Ghz, (in theory at least).  For gaming though I'm betting the i3 would win in that situation... even the added benefit of the 4 vs 2 physical cores couldn't compensate for that kind of clock speed shortcoming.

I am also wondering also about instructions per clock.  Mainly though, how big of a big of a benefit for gaming it would be.  I think it would be the most telling to compare the i3 to high end GAMING CPUs (k skus).

2 minutes ago, Tao said:

I am also wondering also about instructions per clock.  Mainly though, how big of a big of a benefit for gaming it would be.  I think it would be the most telling to compare the i3 to high end GAMING CPUs (k skus).

Generally all CPUs within the same category/generation have the same IPC, for example all Kaby Lake i3/i5/i7s.  In theory at least...

Testing games at 4K, not scolding the i3-7350K for it's terrible value proposition. 

LinusTechTips is turning into the CNN of technology. Lying by omission with everything they report on. To quote senpai;

"Your organization is terrible.".

Would like to see you guys add more CPU intensive games to your gaming benchmark gamut. E.g. Total War: Warhammer / Attila / etc. These games will truly flesh out the differences between dual, quad, hexa, etc. core processors.

Copied from the Floatplane Club forum where no response has been seen....

Anyone else here think the 7400 simulation had to have been complete and utter bullshit?

436 cinebench score is literally less than 3x single core scaling which is clearly wrong....

Like beyond the possible margin of error for someone messed up this video...

See this listing, but a 6400 running at 2.7 GHz for crying out loud managed 517 in multithreaded R15.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1868502473

You CANNOT have done this properly and gotten the "i5-7400" results you claim to have gotten. 

It is LITERALLY impossible.

Proof of impossibility...

Enter 5820k, neutered to 3.5 GHz, 4 Cores, 4 Threads., dual channel DDR4 2400 ram.

Raw images, uncropped for proof.

Cinebench r15: Single Core score of 138 (similar to your supposed 7400), Multi-Core score of 526... 90 points higher than your supposed i5-7400 and still less than perfect 4x MP Ratio.

Screenshot (116).png

7-Zip benchmark default settings: 15900 MIPS on 6 passes... 10% higher than your supposed i5-7400 score, and enough to also surpass the i3 at 5GHz.

Screenshot (117).png

Your benchmarks not only run counter to every other groups on the market today, but they completely defy both logic and reality. If you are going to tell us that simulating an i5 core with the 7700k is ok, then you also need to explain away how your "i5-7400" manages to lose handily to actual i5-4690, i5-6400, and simulated i5-4570 processors on all of the benchmarks we can compare with the same settings.

http://cbscores.com/

Please go back and reevaluate this video

I mean look, I understand that complaining about say the sound of a keyboard or something and claiming that they need to remove the video is one thing....

But when you make falsifiable claims about a product, and those claims are consistently and repeatedly shown to be completely untrue, then you are doing an extreme disservice to your team, your sponsors, and the community for not responding to and addressing those issues.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 14/01/2017 at 9:18 PM, LinusTech said:

Please fix your  post formatting. It is horrible for night theme users

8 hours ago, Prysin said:

Please fix your  post formatting. It is horrible for night theme users

Did you made that up? Because night theme user doesn't exist. /s

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

For well over 15 years its been known that you decrease the resolution to see how well a CPU really performs in games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 18. 1. 2017 at 10:48 AM, Majestic said:

Testing games at 4K, not scolding the i3-7350K for it's terrible value proposition. 

LinusTechTips is turning into the CNN of technology. Lying by omission with everything they report on. To quote senpai;

"Your organization is terrible.".

Well you did put it kinda harsh but I can relate.

i3 7350K buyers probbably don't intend to play on 4K.

Probbably 1080p, and some of them maybe 1440p or 2560x1080.

This CPU isn't half bad when you OC it to 5GHz.

But for lower price you can get i5 7400 with cheaper motherboard and get around the same performance. And if you look for performnace/price ratio, i5 7400 build would win, since you don't need aftermarket cooler to cool down 5GHz and 1,35V, and you also don't neext expencive Z270 motherboard.

I do like the idea of overclockable i3, but at least they could make it a bit cheaper.

WD My Cloud 4TB