AMD Confirms All Ryzen CPUs are Overclockable + Not Just Octacore Available at Launch

HKZeroFive
10 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So you like retaining CPUs and GPUs the most eh? :P 

To be fair, when you're switching your motherboard, you can keep everything but the CPU and possibly RAM if you're still on DDR3 ram so...

lol yeah :) If I had a Q6600 I might still be using it now. :)  I was hoping my 4790K would last me to at least 2020-2022 (or when it gets as useful then as a Core 2 Duo was in 2015/2016), but only being able to have 32GB RAM is a bit of a pinch, and 4K H.264 video only encodes at like 5fps, not 60 or 120fps. :(  As my 1060 SC 3GB ages, I'm willing to turn down settings to as low as 240p, lowest, <10-15fps, in games that by then have dropped to $5 when not on sale, if I need to avoid spending the $ on a new card.  (That's what I used to get in HL1/TFC back in the day.)  (Not being financially able to upgrade as soon as I'd like has been the story of my life so far.)

And, true, but you still have to uninstall everything from the old board & transfer it to the new board, re-connect cables, etc.  (And my desktop is still on DDR3.  It's better than my dad's laptop though, which is using DDR2 and a Core 2 Duo.)

And whichever mod edited my reported post (that I had trouble editing myself), thank you. :)

I'm planning an HTPC so I'm hoping to get a mini itx AM4 Motherboard with a quad core CPU to go with my Polaris GPU. Being patient, but I'm atleast glad to know they're releasing the quad cores at launch as well because I have no need for an octacore CPU.

6 hours ago, Majestic said:

The problem with overclocking on the AMD platform was the required knowledge when selecting a platform and no QC.

You can't just grab some grab a random 970/870 board and expect overclocking. Eventhough you're allowed to raise the multiplier, your VRM's say no.

My M4A88T-M and it's 4+1-phase power agrees with this statement.  Can't quite hit 3.9GHz on all 6 cores without things getting unhappy real fast.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

51 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well even if the chipset/CPU only natively supported 16 PCIe lanes, they could always increase the cost of a motherboard massively and add chips that give it more PCIe lanes :P 

only those lanes have to get bw for them from somewhere, so you end up sharing that with chipset-cpu link, only now chipset is in cpu and announced amount of lanes is not inspiring and rather limiting compared to what you had with AMD's own older platform. Also, I can be lil cry baby and complain how they removed support for raid5 without adding support at least for 6 or how amout of sata ports is pitiful for x370 but I won't do thatxD 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Quite the mid tower you know :P 

And as I said before, you like using outdated IO right? I know how you can just add in cards but that can cost a lot and take a lot of time to find the correct drivers so...

Let's be real pcie 2.0 is not really outdated io, as it plenty fast for alot of add on cards and you use pcie lanes for that hot new IO anyway, sure having pcie3 is better as it means you can decrease number of lanes without loosing bw for things like usb, sata, lan controllers etc and freeing up some space for new io. If you have flexible pcie lanes setup for you to use, you can add that new hot io yourself, remember pcie can link up slots to form 'one single' x32 link, assuming support for that was added. I used to have old pcie2 x8 ssd drive back in a day which had heaps of bw and it can deliver roughly what you get with m2 drives now, so I don't see why I just can't add m2 support using addon card, sure those drives were not very good and lack of things like nvme held them back but actual pcie link can deliver all bw you need for that hot new io, so having more lanes is always good and flexible way to keep your system updated without requiring to update your mobo or setup.

34 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Ahh.  I got some NT-H1, am using it on my laptop's 6700K (which I'm typing on right now).

Well I don't exactly drive like my dad or a grandma. :) If a curve says 25mph, I might take it at 35 or 40.  I've taken 50mph curves at 75-80 sometimes, and if the CHP aren't looking, have a couple times hit the 115mph electronic limiter on the interstate in my '02 Civic LX.

Right now my system overall is quite loud, even at idle.  (I'm getting to think the Rosewill Thor V2 wasn't the case I should have gotten.)  I want to be able to record music on my piano without computer noises getting into it at all, and being able to run something like Unigine Valley at the same time, similar to the video in the spoiler.  (The microphone was mounted under the piano keyboard, between my knees.)

And, in the next spoiler, you can see how close my desktop PC is to my other piano.

Sounds lovely.

I got myself the Phanteks Luxe chassis, and got their PH-F140SP fans, all controlled via PWM on a curve in the BIOS. These can be replaced with Noctuas running with low noise adapted as well, which would be be even better, but more costly.

Fantastic over all. Plenty of proper airflow so the system can run nice and cool with the fans at low RPM.
If you then added some sound dampening padding to the chassis, it'll really help.

Most of the recordings I do is with a Dynamic mic  on an arm above my keyboard; and I've never picked up my current setup with it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

28 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

There is this thing called "insufficient physical space". :)

With networking they don't all have to be in the same place... unless you're really that short there is nowhere else either.

I think I'd forgotten about that.  How expensive were they at the time?  (I'm guessing it was somewhere north of $300 for the board plus two CPUs.)

Probably, but I can't remember that far back, and the account at where I bought it from doesn't seem to exist any more. It's only been a decade since my last order with them. How inconsiderate :)

If physical space wasn't an issue, nor power consumption, multiple mainstream systems would definitely be something I'd probably do.  (And right now finances is under consideration.  As a side note, I'm wanting to build a backup solution for all these hard drives (including the not-pictured ones that are in the info part of the post, but not including the dead 80GB drive), but spending more than $100-150 on the case+PSU+board+CPU+OS (if I go Unraid instead of FreeNAS) +RAM, etc, or $350-500 total including the storage media, whether HDDs, or tape backup, would be a bit of a financial burden right now.)

Some of those look well overdue retirement. Are the top left two IDE? There are some lower cost entry level servers from HPE or Dell that might fit the bill here. After cashback I got a HPE ML10 gen 9 for under $150 new. It can support 6 3.5" HDs although to go beyond 4 you'll need a drive bay adapter and maybe more cables. Of course, for the money it wont be high spec. It is ok for unraid, but freenas will probably need a lot more ram.

Am I being over paranoid on the idea of not using ECC RAM if I use FreeNAS to build a NAS?  (I mentioned wanting to build a backup solution above.)

FreeNAS is one of the use cases where ECC is recommended. I don't have personal experience of it, but it is reported that ram errors can cause massive filesystem corruption. With unraid, it might just affect whatever file it is working on at the time, and for my compute tasks, since it is all checked, it isn't critical if there is an error as it will self recover.

So, if you're using that as a live store, as opposed to a simple back copy holder, ECC is probably required.

15 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

The AM sockets are smaller, but the cooler mount is bigger. The X99 server mount is longer, but narrower. Problem with AM3/ AM4 cooler mounting is it's basically quadratic.

I did the scale comparison. The cooler zone around the 115x socket is easy to see, and they allow some low height components into the area also. With AM4 I'm not so sure what extent that keep out zone is, but by rough estimate it is around 32% bigger area than on Intel.

15 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

(BTX is still Intel)

And thankfully not really around any more :)

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Personally, I like the fact that AMD is being lenient on overclocking, a nice break from the non-K and K series of CPUs and Z-chipset motherboards from Intel. Provided if the price and performance is right, I might pick up a hexacore with a cheap mobo and start overclocking away. But as always, wait for benchmarks and don't get too hyped... I've been seeing too much of that lately.

People said this about Bulldozer, and then completely failed to acknowledge that a motherboard with adequate VRM cooling to be able to overclock these multi-core beasts in the first place cost the same as a Z-chipset motherboard anyway.

The irony is that as Intel actually still has dual cores, unlike AMD their cheap CPUs would be perfectly overclockable on a cheap motherboard.

4 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Doubtful, if you have ever seen AsRock's X99 mini-ITX board, you'd know that they had to use the server cooler mount socket, and AMD's cooler mount has bigger diagonal measurement. Same reason why AM3 doesn't have ITX. We can hope, but unlikely. IF it happens, you'll either get very little SATA and no NVME/ M.2, and probably a weak VRM and *horror* SO-DIMM slots

I'll happily take SO-DIMM slots for space for a beefy VRM.

idk

What's with the hate for SODIMM slots anyway? If it saves space on the motherboard for a beefier VRM setup I'm all for it. SODIMMs aren't more expensive than standard DIMMs, so I really don't understand why people despise it so much.

Ye ole' train

Are recent ASRock motherboards any good ? Im liking that red Fatality , and i might even switch from the i5 i have to the 6c/12t if the price and performance are up to the hype . 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

22 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Only x8/x8 for CF/SLI? I was hoping for x16/x16/x16/x16. :)  (Not that I personally have a use for it though.)

Also does Nvdia require the minimum 8 lanes per GPU even if you're not running in SLI, or is it possible to drop, say, a 1050 into an X1 or X2 slot, provided it's open-ended (assuming it's not a physical x16 slot)?

I don't (yet) think I'll be upgrading from my 4790K to Ryzen.  But, I really hope AMD lights a fire under Intel's you-know-what, to speed up the generational/annual price/performance improvements.  If that doesn't happen, then at the current rate of Intel's increases (not considering Kaby Lake's almost non-increase), I'd have to wait like 20-30 years or more for a worthy upgrade to my 4790K. :(  I'm hoping for at least a 12-16x overall increase, and 3-4x per thread, over my 4790K, and would like to upgrade by around 2020 or so.

I'm also a bit disappointed in only 64GB of RAM support.  When I upgrade, I want to be able to run a lot of VMs, memory-intensive applications, etc. simultaneously, if at all possible edit 4K video in RAM without needing mass storage as scratch / swap space, etc.  My previous computer had & supported 4 GB of RAM (although only 3GB was usable, although the mobo apparently supported 16GB).  My current desktop has & supports 32GB, laptop supports 64GB (has 40 installed).  I'd like my next system to have RAM support increased by the same factor (so 256GB to 1TB RAM), WITHOUT having to go with the equivalent of an Intel LGA2011/2066/3647 server / -E/X platform.

Come on, AMD, please use Ryzen & Vega to bring some competition, innovation, & rapid innovation & performance/price increases back to market, like we haven't seen since the 1980s & 1990s in some cases. :(

LOL. more lanes= more $$$$

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

The number of lanes present.

Are they serious? The 6900K has 40 PCI-E lanes.... and now they're saying that Ryzen will have 16?

RIP....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Are they serious? The 6900K has 40 PCI-E lanes.... and now they're saying that Ryzen will have 16?

RIP....

They're geared for different markets, and it's possible that AMD is still working on an x99 equivalent in regards to PCIe.

It's also entirely possible that everyone is having a fundamental misunderstanding and the highest end chipset might only support 2 way x8 Xfire/SLI at most, with additional lanes dedicated for other components.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They're geared for different markets, and it's possible that AMD is still working on an x99 equivalent in regards to PCIe.

It's also entirely possible that everyone is having a fundamental misunderstanding and the highest end chipset might only support 2 way x8 Xfire/SLI at most, with additional lanes dedicated for other components.

So perhaps only 16 lanes usable for graphics cards, and any others for m.2, thunderbolt etc?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So perhaps only 16 lanes usable for graphics cards, and any others for m.2, thunderbolt etc?

I doubt thunderbolt, but AMD might have a similar, interchangeable tech in accordance with the x86_64 cross patent agreement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I doubt thunderbolt, but AMD might have a similar, interchangeable tech in accordance with the x86_64 cross patent agreement.

Thunderbolt wouldn't have to be integrated directly into AMD's chipset though, it could be simply left to the manufacturers of AM4 motherboards, similar to having RAId controllers built into motherboards (with my examples of those being the PCI based Highpoint 370 and PCIe based Jmicron JMB36x controller on my S370 and LGA775 motherboards)

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Afaik, Thunderbolt has no link to x86 and x86-64 and thus Intel (and Apple) has no need to license it to AMD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Thunderbolt wouldn't have to be integrated directly into AMD's chipset though, it could be simply left to the manufacturers of AM4 motherboards, similar to having RAId controllers built into motherboards (with my examples of those being the PCI based Highpoint 370 and PCIe based Jmicron JMB36x controller on my S370 and LGA775 motherboards)

Thunderbolt is an Intel technology, and one that AMD mainboard partners can't freely use on AMD hardware without licensing it, driving up cost.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Thunderbolt is an Intel technology, and one that AMD mainboard partners can't freely use on AMD hardware without licensing it, driving up cost.

It was just an example of what the non dedicated lanes could be used for-just look at the cost of Intel based motherboards that include Thunderbolt - or take the reuired ad-don card.

PMSL

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Afaik, Thunderbolt has no link to x86 and x86-64 and thus Intel (and Apple) has no need to license it to AMD.

AMD doesn't need to license it (technically, the agreement specifies that each company cannot directly use many technologies that the other created, but they can create an intercompatible tech that achieves the same goal in a similar manner. These technologies do not exclusively apply to just technologies found on the x86 chips, otherwise we'd see AMD devices with Thunderbolt as well). They just "need" an analogous technology.

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It was just an example of what the non dedicated lanes could be used for-just look at the cost of Intel based motherboards that include Thunderbolt - or take the reuired ad-don card.

Eh

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP....

24 actually, 16 dedicated to graphics cards. Or at least that's what I have heard. Anyway it is confirmed Zen has more PCIe lanes than the non HEDT Intel CPUs, so complaining about PCIe lanes is a little bit silly since no body is doing the same in regards to 6700K and 7700K CPUs which have 16.

From the sounds of it anyway the PCIe lanes used for GPUs are from the chipset not the CPU, how the lane configurations actually are is very vague since the information is sparse at best.

AMD has mentioned two full x16 (Gen3) lanes for GPUs. AIBs can add additional lanes through a PLX chip but that would add to the cost. X370 features full overclocking support with a very sophisticated GUI that will allow the best overclock tools and experiences. 

http://wccftech.com/amd-x370-chipset-am4-summit-ridge-processors/ (WCCF source so yea.... 'reliable')

Summary, there are more PCIe lanes in total for a Zen + X370 system than there is on a 6700k/7700k + Z170/Z270 system.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP....

worst still, the 990FX chipset... has 42 Gen 2 lanes... 38 of which is usable for graphics.

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

worst still, the 990FX chipset... has 42 Gen 2 lanes... 38 of which is usable for graphics.

Holy crap that is a lot of chipset provided PCIe lanes.

the chipset provides a total of 38 PCIe 2.0 lanes and 4 PCIe 2.0 for A-Link Express III solely in the Northbridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_900_chipset_series#990FX

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Holy crap that is a lot of chipset provided PCIe lanes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_900_chipset_series#990FX

yup. Which is why all 990FX boards ALWAYS had 16x/16X for Crossfire or SLI. With support for 8x/8x/8x/8x quadfire or sli

On 07/01/2017 at 3:55 AM, HKZeroFive said:

Additionally, PCWorld managed to point out that AMD is expecting their Ryzen CPUs to last for four years

That is the only thing here I am not happy about, AMD is still wanting to leave it ages between launches, meaning intel will easily sneak ahead, again, leaving AMD with bad CPUs that aren't worth the money, again (compared with intel) for at least 2 years (estimation here, I know nothing for definete about this, so am just assuming due to past performance)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more