AMD Confirms All Ryzen CPUs are Overclockable + Not Just Octacore Available at Launch

HKZeroFive
3 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

I'm more hoping along the lines of their new z270 line kinda stuff

Like the Maximus ones? Or the others. I'm sure they'll release products for the whole stack

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Like the Maximus ones? Or the others. I'm sure they'll release products for the whole stack

Yea like the new Maximus IX and Extreme and such

I feel like I have to keep pointing at Intel's IDF15 slides on how they improved on Skylake's front end. But I won't.

That slide more or less convinces me that Intel's not really stagnating and amounts to software not being optimized for the current tech. If what people say is true about apps finally showing Bulldozer's "potential", then maybe we shouldn't even be expecting any decent gains from today's tech for the next five years.

Anyway, at this point I feel like AMD can just say whatever and it won't matter to me. I want to see real silicon in the hands of the consumer and tested hard. Until then, it's nothing more than words on a paper.

10 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

I thought the Crosshair series was the AMD equivalent? They have the Crosshair Formula and Extreme for AM3+

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I thought the Crosshair series was the AMD equivalent? They have the Crosshair Formula and Extreme for AM3+

26 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Maximus is the Intel ROG line. Crosshair is the AMD ROG line.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Does this make me regret the purchase of the MSI Z170 SLI Plus that I'm waiting on to be delivered? No not at all.

I'm planning on getting an i7 7700K and OCing it to 5.2GHz on a Kraken X52.

Largely because @Dan Castellaneta also I think having two numbers that are similar in a build is kinda nice.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Maximus is the Intel ROG line. Crosshair is the AMD ROG line.

26 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Yea but they've never been as in depth or anything like intel motherboards. They've more or less lacked a lot of cool bells and whistles, probz cuz AMD never sol as much or performed as high as intel until recently.

55 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

Yea but they've never been as in depth or anything like intel motherboards. They've more or less lacked a lot of cool bells and whistles, probz cuz AMD never sol as much or performed as high as intel until recently.

Ah I see.

Yeah the last time AMD was ahead was then Dual Cores first showed up. But there's enough market hype around Zen that Asus might want to do more mobos

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

For that honestly, we need coders to adopt AVX. There's not many things left to refine in the IPC department, we're left with higher clockspeed, and better programs. That's for silicon though, maybe the next time you upgrade you get a non-silicon CPU

But isn't AVX what causes Prime95 28.7 Small FFT to hit 100°C (and sometimes throttle to 3.7 GHz) on my stock Haswell 4790K with a 212 Evo?  Or is it something else?

3 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'm also a bit disappointed in only 64GB of RAM support.  When I upgrade, I want to be able to run a lot of VMs, memory-intensive applications, etc. simultaneously, if at all possible edit 4K video in RAM without needing mass storage as scratch / swap space, etc.  My previous computer had & supported 4 GB of RAM (although only 3GB was usable, although the mobo apparently supported 16GB).  My current desktop has & supports 32GB, laptop supports 64GB (has 40 installed).  I'd like my next system to have RAM support increased by the same factor (so 256GB to 1TB RAM), WITHOUT having to go with the equivalent of an Intel LGA2011/2066/3647 server / -E/X platform.

If you really need that stuff and it isn't just wishful thinking, just go server platform. Things are looking like Ryzen is taking on consumer level Intel head on with similar platform specs. The current hype has been around consumer, but server certainly will follow. Don't know if they will do HEDT too. I was kinda hoping Ryzen would be forward looking enough to include that as part of the consumer platform but that doesn't seem the case.

Quantum?  Where are you?? :(

Don't rely on quantum to speed up everything. It is another technology that will be good at some things, and not at others.

From hitting the power button, through post (this includes on servers that currently take several minutes just to post), through booting the OS (I still remember autoexec.bat although I don't think it's used anymore), and if it's set up by the user ahead of time, auto-login and auto-starting various apps, loading websites, loading videos in premiere, loading steam, etc ... I'd like to one day (hopefully before too long) see the entire sequence be completed as quickly as an incandescent light bulb turns on when you flip the switch.  Same goes for shutting down, and for loading websites, videos, apps, files, etc. after you've booted & logged in. :)  Any chance that quantum could bring that?

If you really need that level of readiness, just don't turn the PC off. Maybe a future implementation of hibernate could provide something similar, but I don't see a cold boot reaching that level.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

But isn't AVX what causes Prime95 28.7 Small FFT to hit 100°C (and sometimes throttle to 3.7 GHz) on my stock Haswell 4790K with a 212 Evo?  Or is it something else?

If the temp is too hot when running Prime95 and similar workloads, your cooling could be improved (or overclock less). FMA instructions (introduced same time as AVX2) as used by recent versions of Prime95 do generate relatively more heat than most other workloads, but they sure do a lot of work compared to not having it.

On that note, I assume AMD hasn't mentioned AVX512 at all in conjunction with Ryzen? Intel aren't exactly pushing it either outside of server level CPUs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The number of lanes present.

not that it means much... 8x/8x gen2 has been shown to be 2-3% worse then 16x/16x Gen3 in three separate "PCIe lane/gen speed test" reviews done by Techpowerup

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

It is, but that's not a bad thing. The CPU is dissipating more heat because it's getting more work done.

BTW, you can get a cooler considerably better than the 212 EVO for $25. It's called Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Of course delidding that 4790K would help even more.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

good evidence of that is in the AM3+ Crosshair Formula. It never got a refresh model, whilst Asus made the 970 GAMING and 990FX Sabertooth R3.0... both with big improvements putting them apart from the top ROG board...

49 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It is, but that's not a bad thing. The CPU is dissipating more heat because it's getting more work done.

BTW, you can get a cooler considerably better than the 212 EVO for $25. It's called Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Of course delidding that 4790K would help even more.

Interesting.  I see mixed reviews on that Deepcool though.  Also, I'm starting to think of upgrading to an AIO watercooler, like maybe a Corsair H60, H80i v2, H90, H105, or H115, although I'd consider other brands & models too.  My 212 Evo is way too loud for my taste, and I'm not able to overclock nearly as high as I'd like.  (I'm looking for the same percentage overclocks that people get with 2500Ks, 2600Ks, G3258s, LGA2011 CPUs - basically 30-50% over stock.)  

In some brief testing, my 4790K will BSOD after 2 seconds in Aida64 at 4.7 GHz using adaptive voltage (I saw it giving it 1.31V).  In a previous test with the FireStrike physics test, I got 4.7 GHz @ 1.25V or 4.8 GHz @ 1.35V, but the next-step-up multiplier caused a BSOD in 15-30 seconds.

I might need a new case though, as my Rosewill Thor V2 only has limited internal radiator support.  Something like the Fractal Define R5, XL R2, Arc XL, etc. might be under consideration, as much as I hate cases with front doors.  (If only there was a ~$100-140 mid-tower case that holds a decent watercooler like what JaysTwoCents uses, a few blu-ray writers, a couple 5-in-3 hot swap front bay 3.5-5.25" adapter, AND all 18 or 20 of my hard drives & SSDs, 15 of which are 3.5" HDDs, although my 2001 80GB WD800BB IDE is clicking dead, not to mention, if I could ever afford one in the future, a quad-socket server motherboard.... okay I'm kidding on part of that :D)

Any idea of a good place to have the 4790K delidded?  (I'm not confident enough to do it myself, and I still have another year on the warranty I think - bought it 1/7/2015.)  I know of Silicon Lottery for $50, but would it be worth it?  Or consider someone else?  (Also I'm starting to think this should branch into its own thread, but I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to post yet.)

45 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Interesting.  I see mixed reviews on that Deepcool though.  Also, I'm starting to think of upgrading to an AIO watercooler, like maybe a Corsair H60, H80i v2, H90, H105, or H115, although I'd consider other brands & models too.  My 212 Evo is way too loud for my taste, and I'm not able to overclock nearly as high as I'd like.  (I'm looking for the same percentage overclocks that people get with 2500Ks, 2600Ks, G3258s, LGA2011 CPUs - basically 30-50% over stock.)  

In some brief testing, my 4790K will BSOD after 2 seconds in Aida64 at 4.7 GHz using adaptive voltage (I saw it giving it 1.31V).  In a previous test with the FireStrike physics test, I got 4.7 GHz @ 1.25V or 4.8 GHz @ 1.35V, but the next-step-up multiplier caused a BSOD in 15-30 seconds.

I might need a new case though, as my Rosewill Thor V2 only has limited internal radiator support.  Something like the Fractal Define R5, XL R2, Arc XL, etc. might be under consideration, as much as I hate cases with front doors.  (If only there was a ~$100-140 mid-tower case that holds a decent watercooler like what JaysTwoCents uses, a few blu-ray writers, a couple 5-in-3 hot swap front bay 3.5-5.25" adapter, AND all 18 or 20 of my hard drives & SSDs, 15 of which are 3.5" HDDs, although my 2001 80GB WD800BB IDE is clicking dead, not to mention, if I could ever afford one in the future, a quad-socket server motherboard.... okay I'm kidding on part of that :D)

Any idea of a good place to have the 4790K delidded?  (I'm not confident enough to do it myself, and I still have another year on the warranty I think - bought it 1/7/2015.)  I know of Silicon Lottery for $50, but would it be worth it?  Or consider someone else?  (Also I'm starting to think this should branch into its own thread, but I'm not 100% sure I'm ready to post yet.)

Just get a noctua NH D15S I stead of anything of the listed AIOs. Cheaper quieter and stellar performance. 

I replaced my h110i GT with it, got lower temps and is significantly quieter. 

Now I only have 5820k at 4ghz, but after hours in AIDA64 it never once went over 59 degrees Celsius. On average under Adobe Premiere Pro after a few hours it hits the low 50s as well. 

Fantastic cooler, and unlike my old aio cannot have its pump die. Never mind all the other points of failure. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I was close to getting an E3 1231 but a potentially decent 6 cores overclockable honestly gave me pause.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Additionally, PCWorld managed to point out that AMD is expecting their Ryzen CPUs to last for four years. Which reminds me of that infamous Robert Palmer quote, funnily enough.

PLEASE DONT PULL ANOTHER FX

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

i think they learnt hier lesson... also u have crossfire 270x ??

Just now, ArcThanatos said:

also u have crossfire 270x ??

yea , its pretty neat , got a second 270x for like 50 bucks and could not say no 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

yea , its pretty neat , got a second 270x for like 50 bucks and could not say no 

noice, i got a 270.. looking for a second one, but 270's are rare, specially when im trying to find another sapphire.

but from what amd has also shown, its not looking anything like FX. looks like it got testys know, big meaty ones