Do you agree with nVidia's GPU pricing... - IT HAS DOUBLED!

WhiteSkyMage
1 minute ago, App4that said:

My Vapor X 290 beat my Nitro 390 in most titles. The 290 even matched the memory speed of the 390. Only real difference I ever found was the 390 had 8g of VRAM. 

And that 8GB of VRAM would only be of real benefit in Crossfire at 1440p and 4K.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And that 8GB of VRAM would only be of real benefit in Crossfire at 1440p and 4K.

I had the two in crossfire, never had a problem at 1440 with only 4g of VRAM. 2g is not enough, but 4g is fine. I rarely cross that with 6g available on the 980tis. 

Well, other than my modded as **** Skyrim SE build. That soaks up all the VRAM I can throw at it.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I had the two in crossfire, never had a problem at 1440 with only 4g of VRAM. 2g is not enough, but 4g is fine. I rarely cross that with 6g available on the 980tis. 

Well, other than my modded as **** Skyrim SE build. That soaks up all the VRAM I can throw at it.

I take it that Skyrim SE doesn't have the optimised textures yet.

PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I take it that Skyrim SE doesn't have the optimised textures yet.

Sure it does, I run about 50 texture mods. Biggest one being the 2017 textures. 

The SE edition is all about the switch to 64bit for modding. Why people look for anything out of the vanilla version is beyond me LOL

To the original post: Yeah prices are crazy and they went up a lot.

But what else can we do? Nvidia released new GPU for that price. Now you either buy it or you are stuck with AMD.

It would be very interesting if 3rd company would start making GPUs. That would probbably set prices back to normal.

And I bought GTX 1070 at release for 520€. Now I see them in shops for 390€.

So if you wait few months after release, you can still get decent GPU for kinda normal price.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

50 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The entire R9 300 series-they kept the cards at the same tier as the R9 200 series. and 50MHz isn't a significant increase, and is easily managed by the R9 200 series. The only real change was more+higher binned vRAM being used on some models. And the R9 290X has the exact same die as the 390X.

I know it's got the same die but the 290/290x averaged around 1050-1100 MHz Mac overclock and the 390-390x were closer to 1200 MHz, which is a good 5-10% increase in performance. All because of a more mature process (I presume).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

45 minutes ago, App4that said:

My Vapor X 290 beat my Nitro 390 in most titles. The 290 even matched the memory speed of the 390. Only real difference I ever found was the 390 had 8g of VRAM. 

That is a top of the line 290 vs a mid-range ish 390 though.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Point is-they performed the same because they use the same GPU.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Point is-they performed the same because they use the same GPU.

Yeah I know that.

I was just saying that, on average, a 390/390x performed better than a 290/290x because of higher core and memory clocks. Done.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

As much as I don't like the high prices as a consumer, Something is worth whatever another person is willing to pay for it and there are a lot of people paying the prices so it must be about right.

Nvidia has no real competition at the high end right now and there was a large pent up demand for high end graphics cards due to the 2 year gap between Maxwell and Pascal. They were very lucky that AMD didn't come along with something really desirable in that time gap

50 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I know, and the fact that both are top of the line Sapphires, sucks. If Sapphire made a Vapor X 490 or what ever replaces the Fury line, I would buy it. No joke. I would fire sale the 980tis and go running to Sapphire with blood pouring out my nose. I morn the loss of Sapphire's premium cards. 

I know, and the fact that both are top of the line Sapphires, sucks. If Sapphire made a Vapor X 490 or what ever replaces the Fury line, I would buy it. No joke. I would fire sale the 980tis and go running to Sapphire with blood pouring out my nose. I morn the loss of Sapphire's premium cards. 

Man dude the Vapor Xs look SICK. I swear. I want one so bad. I hope that Sapphire sells Vega video cards with a Vapor X cooler because they perform great and look badass at the same time. I would totally buy one if they do that. Such a shame that they didn't make a Vapor-X r9 fury.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Man dude the Vapor Xs look SICK. I swear. I want one so bad. I hope that Sapphire sells Vega video cards with a Vapor X cooler because they perform great and look badass at the same time. I would totally buy one if they do that. Such a shame that they didn't make a Vapor-X r9 fury.

From the best sources I have, the answer is no. No reason for them to sell a premium card when the AMD market is fixated on value. Sounds harsh, but it's accurate. Which REALLY sucks because my Vapor X was the best build card I have ever owned. Made my Classy look like a Pinto. 

Just now, App4that said:

From the best sources I have, the answer is no. No reason for them to sell a premium card when the AMD market is fixated on value. Sounds harsh, but it's accurate. Which REALLY sucks because my Vapor X was the best build card I have ever owned. Made my Classy look like a Pinto. 

Sheesh dude that totally sucks. Vapor-X cards are awesome af. The tri-x cooler was pretty good and looked not too bad but vapor-x was way more sick. What a shame. What a total shame.

I guess I'll hope and dream but it probably won't happen then ;_;

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Simon771 said:

To the original post: Yeah prices are crazy and they went up a lot.

But what else can we do? Nvidia released new GPU for that price. Now you either buy it or you are stuck with AMD.

It would be very interesting if 3rd company would start making GPUs. That would probbably set prices back to normal.

And I bought GTX 1070 at release for 520€. Now I see them in shops for 390€.

So if you wait few months after release, you can still get decent GPU for kinda normal price.

390 euro? Even the blower style MSI goes for around 450 euro. Most of the "normal" 1070 are still hovering 500 euro here.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

The entire R9 300 series-they kept the cards at the same tier as the R9 200 series. and 50MHz isn't a significant increase, and is easily managed by the R9 200 series. The only real change was more+higher binned vRAM being used on some models. And the R9 290X has the exact same die as the 390X.

Faster core, faster memory, more memory and lower price. Sounds like actual progression to me.

But the design of the die was identical, so we cry about it.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

27 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Faster core, faster memory, more memory and lower price. Sounds like actual progression to me.

Actually, the R9 380 and R9 380X were new chip designs based on Tonga.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually, the R9 380 and R9 380X were new chip designs based on Tonga.

I like they were referring to the 290/x vs 390/x

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Faster? For a reference maybe, but not a custom card. My 290 spanked my 390. My 290 didn't have stuttering issues like my 390 had. 

So not exactly crying, but questioning. Especially since I bet if Nvidia did the same, you'd need a tissue. ;) 

34 minutes ago, App4that said:

Faster? For a reference maybe, but not a custom card. My 290 spanked my 390. My 290 didn't have stuttering issues like my 390 had. 

So not exactly crying, but questioning. Especially since I bet if Nvidia did the same, you'd need a tissue. ;) 

the VRAM was faster, it was 6GHz instead of 5GHz

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

And that isn't exclusive to the R9 300 series, as the 200 series also had cards with vRAM capable of operating at 6GHz.

PMSL

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

AIB 1080s were available less than two weeks after founders edition cards were available and the reason for the delay was likely due to low yields on the new 16nm process. The 1080 still launched at $600 -- you just had to be willing to wait two whole weeks for AIB cards to start coming out (and at that point, it's up to AIBs how they choose to price their cards). 

That very much depended on where you lived. Some places received AiB cards much later and at the time they launched they were priced either at the same point as Founders cards or maybe $20 below if you were lucky.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh, so you owned both and overclocked the VRAM on the 290 to match the 390 because they were in crossfire?

Nooo, that was me. 

And before you say it, the 390 shit the bed as soon as you tried to overclock it's memory. The 290 also overclocked much better than the 390. 

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Oh, so you owned both and overclocked the VRAM on the 290 to match the 390 because they were in crossfire?

Somebody is very salty.

Nooo, that was me. 

Good for you. There's no need to be arrogant, cocky or disrespectful.

And before you say it, the 390 shit the bed as soon as you tried to overclock it's memory. The 290 also overclocked much better than the 390. 

since you think you're so knowledgeable in this subject, why don't you tell everybody what ALL the differences are between the 290 and the 390?

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Somebody is very salty.

Good for you. There's no need to be arrogant, cocky or disrespectful.

since you think you're so knowledgeable in this subject, why don't you tell everybody what ALL the differences are between the 290 and the 390?

People who own the cards have told you the differences, yet you have argued. How exactly should people respond?

Both the 290 and 390 were great cards, I hope Radeon does the same with the RX 480.

I also hope at some point people would give Nvidia the same leeway.