Cyanogen is shutting down

Cyanogen is known for its version of Android which boasts tons of customization while remaining fluid like Vanilla Android. Its biggest partnership was with OnePlus which made them become largely popular among the Android community. However, just after one device, the OnePlus One, the company had to break its partnership with OnePlus. After years of struggling with bringing the OS to the masses the company has decided to stop its operations.

It’s been a rocky few months for Cyanogen, the ambitious startup that aimed to build a better version of Android than Google. It has laid off staff, let go of its CEO and parted ways with another co-founder — now it is shutting down its services and nightly software builds on December 31. 

The news was announced in a brief blog post released late on Friday:

As part of the ongoing consolidation of Cyanogen, all services and Cyanogen-supported nightly builds will be discontinued no later than 12/31/16. The open source project and source code will remain available for anyone who wants to build CyanogenMod personally.

This update means owners of a device that runs the Cyanogen OS — such as the OnePlus One — must now transition over to the CyanogenMod ROM, which is not a commercial product and is managed by a community of developers led by former co-founder Steve Klondik.

I honestly liked what the OS had to offer with the promise of customization being present all throughout the software. The problem seems to have rooted from the company itself who has recently laid off workers in order to cut costs which was honestly surprising given the money that was being poured into the company. The good news is that the ROM is still available which is very good news for the loyal OnePlus One people. 

Source: CyanogenTechCrunch

Cyanogen is just the owning company of CyanogenMod so all ROM's should still be available and will definitely be supported by 3rd party devs on XDA forums

Hello

23 minutes ago, rip said:

What I have to do with Cyanogen??

I was thinking same, I own a wileyfox swift that is running cyanogen mod, now looks like I need to root it and install android.

8 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Cyanogen is just the owning company of CyanogenMod so all ROM's should still be available and will definitely be supported by 3rd party devs on XDA forums

Dont understand why we keep have to explaining this lol

Cyanogen just needed to create an invite system for people to get a download link, because marketing....also because fuck you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I dont understand why their company failed, why did they break the deal with oneplus? Everyone loved that, even oneplus themselves i think. They where fucked over when the team pulled out because now they had to quickly make android for the oneplus 2 work, which was why it had so many problems i thought.

Oh wow damn.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Should be noted it mostly affects CyanogenOS (used im OPO), and not CyanogenMod.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

cyanogen dying =/= cyanogenmod dying

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, tlink said:

I dont understand why their company failed, why did they break the deal with oneplus? Everyone loved that, even oneplus themselves i think. They where fucked over when the team pulled out because now they had to quickly make android for the oneplus 2 work, which was why it had so many problems i thought.

Because they never made profit.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Probably because the retards at Cyanogen started getting completely full of themselves and basically became Google 2.0 instead of being what it originally started out as: A USER-DRIVEN customization-based OS. They started "deciding" things for us and removing a lot of options we used to get in the early CM days. CM turned into total trash.

19 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

Should be noted it mostly affects CyanogenOS (used im OPO), and not CyanogenMod.

OPO is pretty old now anyway, even more though it is still pretty powerful 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

so what's gonna happen to the opo? i'm assuming it won't be seeing nougat anytime soon? maybe it's time i look for a oneplus 3t for my dad to replace his one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so what's gonna happen to the opo? i'm assuming it won't be seeing nougat anytime soon? maybe it's time i look for a oneplus 3t for my dad to replace his one.

move to cyanogenmod maybe, it's been on nougat since september 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

move to cyanogenmod maybe, it's been on nougat since september 

umm, it's on cyanogenmod based on marshmallow. but i don't see any official nougat update for it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

umm, it's on cyanogenmod based on marshmallow. but i don't see any official nougat update for it.

cyanogenmod was never official, you're confusing cyanogenOS with cyanogenmod, two completely different projects 

rip

i just got my first android phone and flashed it a little over a month ago. :/