Apple Airpods Review

I would love one of these but Apple's regular earpods will never stay in my ear ugh..

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

so do like floatplane pilots not get a week buffer for anything? Seems shit lately has been a video ahead at most, and the last 2 3 have been simultaneous. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

so is it going to last a full 8 hour work day?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

so do like floatplane pilots not get a week buffer for anything? Seems shit lately has been a video ahead at most, and the last 2 3 have been simultaneous. 

Remember, this was the same as Vessel- for time-sensitive stuff (like product reviews!) they can't afford to wait a week to post it, because they'd be losing thousands upon thousands of views.

I used to be quite active here.

He made no comparison to the wired ones in terms of sound quality, which I found interesting.  I would have assumed they would sound identical, making that an easy way to describe them.  Apparently they don't?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Remember, this was the same as Vessel- for time-sensitive stuff (like product reviews!) they can't afford to wait a week to post it, because they'd be losing thousands upon thousands of views.

even time sensitive stuff has not been ahead by far at all. I've noticed this the past couple of weeks. Video or two buffer at most. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

"Not get a week buffer for anything" feels like a pretty significant overstatement.

The last couple of videos have been simultaneous releases due to the timely nature of the content. This will happen from time to time - more often than it did with Vessel, as we have been saying since the beginning of FP. Especially when it comes to stuff like show content and the Airpods.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

even time sensitive stuff has not been ahead by far at all. I've noticed this the past couple of weeks. Video or two buffer at most. 

That's like... not even slightly true. It's either 7-day buffer or no buffer, which is exactly the same as it was with Vessel.

Fine- they can't afford to wait at all. That's what I meant. Either a week or 0 days. Same as vessel.

@nicklmg stop posting what im about to post right before i post it ;-;

I used to be quite active here.

Is Apple into dental care products too? ??????

IMG_5038.JPG

Why would Apple pick this kind of design? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

I would love one of these but Apple's regular earpods will never stay in my ear ugh..

Finally, someone else has the same problem as me

2 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Finally, someone else has the same problem as me

Oh trust me, you are not alone. They're the worst I've experienced in that regard.

I liked my Shure SE215s but the cables only lasted a couple months on those before getting some awful distortion... upkeep was a bit too expensive for my taste when it comes to a pair of earphones...

Why would you pay a scalper on Craigslist for these, or at the very least, why would you bring it up in the video?

whats up with the upload schedule? you guys switch to a mid day upload then out of nowhere you practically miss Sundays video by uploading so late at night that for many people it's MONDAY, now uploads are coming around 11-midnight eastern, did we switch upload times again and not tell anyone?

28 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

"Not get a week buffer for anything" feels like a pretty significant overstatement.

The last couple of videos have been simultaneous releases due to the timely nature of the content. This will happen from time to time - more often than it did with Vessel, as we have been saying since the beginning of FP. Especially when it comes to stuff like show content and the Airpods.

Really? Here's a list of 2 weeks LTT stuff on floatplane back to December 6th

ignoring time sensitive stuff it seems as if the only stuff we get ahead of time significantly is TQ and CSF 

Airpods (simultaneous)

Razer Blade Pro- Simultaneous (Time sensitive)

Asus C20CB (Simultaneous, somehow time sensitive)

Rad Ebike Mini (buffer)

Macbook pro (Somehow NOT simultaneous, guess that's not time sensitive but the airpods are?)

COMPUTER MURDER (GONE DEADLY) (RARE) (buffer)

Is 4K Blu-Ray Worth It?( buffer)

"Waterproofing" a Standard Hard Drive ( buffer)

Mastercase Maker 5T Review (buffer)

Oculus Touch Review (simultaneous)

My First Experience With Google Tango (simultaneous)

This is 14 days, 12 days of videos accounting for WAN show. On floatplane we got 6 ahead of time 5 simultaneous. 

no, stuff wan't less than seven days, I just woke up and saw half the same shit on youtube the next day, didn't realize this was all simultaneous. But yea 3 video buffer at some points, I was wrong

edit

oh yea and there's shit like the $25,000 Christmas Prank + GIVEAWAY wasn't even listed on the FPC forum so I missed it. 

you guys have nailed the video playback and download thing, it's nice to see a real bitrate compared to youtube, just yah know..the content. 

muh specs 

All parts black

14 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Oh trust me, you are not alone. They're the worst I've experienced in that regard.

I liked my Shure SE215s but the cables only lasted a couple months on those before getting some awful distortion... upkeep was a bit too expensive for my taste when it comes to a pair of earphones...

Its not just that they fall out. Its that they don't fit at all. When I try to put them in it hurts because the plastic digs into my skin but just falls out when I let go of them. Actually, all earbuds that I have tried that don't have a rubber/silicon tip and has a plastic one don't fit at all. 

23 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

whats up with the upload schedule? you guys switch to a mid day upload then out of nowhere you practically miss Sundays video by uploading so late at night that for many people it's MONDAY, now uploads are coming around 11-midnight eastern, did we switch upload times again and not tell anyone?

With the upcoming holiday & CES fast approaching we're in full-on "PRODUCE EVERYTHING AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN HOLY $H!T" mode. So yeah, the upload schedule hasn't been perfect lately. We're also putting in a very significant amount of extra hours currently to make sure that we don't miss any upload days due to those two events. Apologies for the poor communication there, but when we're off our normal rhythm there's almost always a reason why.

There has been no official change to the upload schedule at this time. Hopefully we'll be back to noon PT within a few days.

21 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Really? Here's a list of 2 weeks LTT stuff on floatplane back to December 6th

ignoring time sensitive stuff it seems as if the only stuff we get ahead of time significantly is TQ and CSF 

Airpods (simultaneous)

Razer Blade Pro- Simultaneous (Time sensitive)

Asus C20CB (Simultaneous, somehow time sensitive)

Rad Ebike Mini (buffer)

Macbook pro (Somehow NOT simultaneous, guess that's not time sensitive but the airpods are?)

COMPUTER MURDER (GONE DEADLY) (RARE) (buffer)

Is 4K Blu-Ray Worth It?( buffer)

"Waterproofing" a Standard Hard Drive ( buffer)

Mastercase Maker 5T Review (buffer)

Oculus Touch Review (simultaneous)

My First Experience With Google Tango (simultaneous)

This is 14 days, 12 days of videos accounting for WAN show. On floatplane we got 6 ahead of time 5 simultaneous. 

This is a quote from the initial email regarding the Floatplane launch regarding "pilot" benefits:

"- DRM-Free downloads for members at 360p and 720p
- Ad free service - No pre-roll ads to suck up your bandwidth
- Exclusive member-only comments section through the forum
- Early access - For now it'll be similar to the Vessel experience (1 week), but the window COULD change, and I can almost guarantee there will be more simultaneous releases for time-sensitive projects than before."

If you feel like you've been slighted by the unusually high number of simultaneous releases, then I certainly apologize. But I feel like we've been pretty up-front about the increased focus on the community aspect that Vessel brought about, rather than the "early access videos" aspect.

Airpods were simultaneous because they are legitimately time-sensitive - most people won't give two craps about them in a week.

Blade Pro is time sensitive, hopefully for obvious reasons.

ASUS C20CB was time-sensitive based on the point in time that we received it. Linus thought that it was interesting enough to get out into the general public immediately.

Oculus Touch was extremely time sensitive as people don't seem to care about VR as much as I wish they did (which is an entirely different conversation, not trying to start that here lol)

Google Tango was simultaneous due to a sponsor commitment. That's no different than it would've been through Vessel.

So I certainly see your point - but I feel like we've been very up-front about the goals of the platform and the differences between it and Vessel.

EDIT: Almost forgot - the reason Macbook wasn't simultaneous is that we were already so late to the party - when you're 3-4 weeks late already, another week isn't make or break.

13 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

With the upcoming holiday & CES fast approaching we're in full-on "PRODUCE EVERYTHING AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN HOLY $H!T" mode. So yeah, the upload schedule hasn't been perfect lately. We're also putting in a very significant amount of extra hours currently to make sure that we don't miss any upload days due to those two events. Apologies for the poor communication there, but when we're off our normal rhythm there's almost always a reason why.

There has been no official change to the upload schedule at this time. Hopefully we'll be back to noon PT within a few days.

This is a quote from the initial email regarding the Floatplane launch regarding "pilot" benefits:

"- DRM-Free downloads for members at 360p and 720p
- Ad free service - No pre-roll ads to suck up your bandwidth
- Exclusive member-only comments section through the forum
- Early access - For now it'll be similar to the Vessel experience (1 week), but the window COULD change, and I can almost guarantee there will be more simultaneous releases for time-sensitive projects than before."

If you feel like you've been slighted by the unusually high number of simultaneous releases, then I certainly apologize. But I feel like we've been pretty up-front about the increased focus on the community aspect that Vessel brought about, rather than the "early access videos" aspect.

Airpods were simultaneous because they are legitimately time-sensitive - most people won't give two craps about them in a week.

Blade Pro is time sensitive, hopefully for obvious reasons.

ASUS C20CB was time-sensitive based on the point in time that we received it. Linus thought that it was interesting enough to get out into the general public immediately.

Oculus Touch was extremely time sensitive as people don't seem to care about VR as much as I wish they did (which is an entirely different conversation, not trying to start that here lol)

Google Tango was simultaneous due to a sponsor commitment. That's no different than it would've been through Vessel.

So I certainly see your point - but I feel like we've been very up-front about the goals of the platform and the differences between it and Vessel.

32 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no, stuff wan't less than seven days, I just woke up and saw half the same shit on youtube the next day, didn't realize this was all simultaneous. But yea 3 video buffer at some points, I was wrong

edit

oh yea and there's shit like the $25,000 Christmas Prank + GIVEAWAY wasn't even listed on the FPC forum so I missed it. 

you guys have nailed the video playback and download thing, it's nice to see a real bitrate compared to youtube, just yah know..the content. 

missed the edit. I'm happy with the service (certainly better than vessel), just not with the consistency of content. I've paid almost 200$ in direct donation to LTT, and no idea what through other stuff like merch or vessel, I feel like I can bitch a little. After all I pay the same and get less than vessel. 

I understand that you may be a bit behind, and this just happens to be a thing, but I feel like I want my complaint registered. And Why the hell is the MBP not time sensitive? Do people care that little about apple laptops now? I wouldn't be surprised. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, lettuce head said:

0:00-0:30 the average apple user. perfect.

I feel like it was slightly misleading to the uninformed about the price since he paid a ton to get them immediately. 300$ seems absurd, but to the uninformed about these things, like me, I thought that's what they literally were and went to their site and checked lol. It's apple after all , it's believable. They made a book that price. 

"All I know is they are the latest product from apple, and I need them" 

muh specs 

All parts black

I feel like it was slightly misleading to the uninformed about the price since he paid a ton to get them immediately. 300$ seems absurd, but to the uninformed about these things, like me, I thought that's what they literally were and went to their site and checked lol. It's apple after all , it's believable. They made a book that price. 

"All I know is they are the latest product from apple, and I need them" 

yup. it's ridiculous. especially when there are IEM's that match the retail price Apple listed that kill their sound quality.

14 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

missed the edit. I'm happy with the service (certainly better than vessel), just not with the consistency of content. I've paid almost 200$ in direct donation to LTT, and no idea what through other stuff like merch or vessel, I feel like I can bitch a little. 

Yep, your edit must've come through as I was responding :P

Glad to hear that you're happy with some aspects of the service - that's what we're striving for here. The FP team is killing it in my opinion, they're doing a hell of a lot of work with a small team on tight timelines and delivering. Impressive stuff from all involved.

And you are most definitely allowed to voice your opinion - I'm just trying to make sure our side is heard as well :)

We always appreciate the feedback and I think that the balance of "make sure this content goes to the public in a timely manner to maximize views" and "make sure the community members who are paying directly to view our content early don't feel like they're getting a raw deal" is always going to be one of the most difficult aspects of a "sometimes early access, sometimes not" structure... It's something we need to keep a close eye on. But there will be times like this, where we've got a ton of content that needs to go to YT as soon as possible, or CES where we've got a whole week's worth of content that would be useless if we windowed it for any significant amount of time. I just hope that we can find a way to maintain that balance.

EDIT: not that it's a huge deal, but the "$25,000 Christmas Prank" video did get a full week window on FP. It was just titled differently, I believe it was "A very special LMG Christmas" or something like that.

5 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Yep, your edit must've come through as I was responding :P

Glad to hear that you're happy with some aspects of the service - that's what we're striving for here. The FP team is killing it in my opinion, they're doing a hell of a lot of work with a small team on tight timelines and delivering. Impressive stuff from all involved.

And you are most definitely allowed to voice your opinion - I'm just trying to make sure our side is heard as well :)

We always appreciate the feedback and I think that the balance of "make sure this content goes to the public in a timely manner to maximize views" and "make sure the community members who are paying directly to view our content early don't feel like they're getting a raw deal" is always going to be one of the most difficult aspects of a "sometimes early access, sometimes not" structure... It's something we need to keep a close eye on. But there will be times like this, where we've got a ton of content that needs to go to YT as soon as possible, or CES where we've got a whole week's worth of content that would be useless if we windowed it for any significant amount of time. I just hope that we can find a way to maintain that balance.

I did iit again, I'm bad at this 

After all I pay the same and get less than vessel. 

I understand that you may be a bit behind, and this just happens to be a thing, but I feel like I want my complaint registered. And Why the hell is the MBP not time sensitive? Do people care that little about apple laptops now? I wouldn't be surprised. 

Speaking of, there's some stuff I'm excited about at CES, so if Linus could drop it all for me I'd be pretty happy. 

Oh and drop the Nintendo switch as well, if you cover that in January. I actually want you to drop that, I dropped my wii u gamepad quite literally one foot and it cracked. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I did iit again, I'm bad at this 

After all I pay the same and get less than vessel. 

Yep - currently you pay the same as you did for Vessel and get less. I'm hoping that we can expand the feature-set in the future to accommodate better interactivity with FP members (we have some ideas that we're not quite ready to share just yet), but for now it's not where we'd like it to be.

It's important to remember that Vessel was a company with over $130 million USD in seed funding that was acquired and immediately shut down after only 18 months of operation - so while we've taken some of the inspiration for Floatplane from that model, I think it's safe to say that there were some rough spots when it came to the execution of the plan over there (speaking purely anecdotally - I do not personally have any information as to what happened internally over there). We're certainly not trying to follow directly in their footsteps.

MBP was released to consumers on October 29, and the first real reviews (not just a "hands-on at the event" video or article) that I can see for it came out in the first week of November. Considering the fact that our review released to FP on December 15 (5-6 weeks after the first round of reviews), that is by definition "no longer time sensitive." That doesn't mean that we aren't going to try to get the review out in a timely manner, but it does mean that any leg up that we would potentially have in the review space by releasing the video one week earlier is 100% gone. At that point the people who care what LTT has to say about it will watch it - the people who are just looking for any random outlet's opinion as quickly as possible probably won't.

Speaking of, there's some stuff I'm excited about at CES, so if Linus could drop it all for me I'd be pretty happy. 

Oh and drop the Nintendo switch as well, if you cover that in January. 

Haha I'm hoping that Linus drops all of the "one-of-a-kind" products we can find once again... (I MEAN, FOR ANY REPS OUT THERE READING THIS, I HOPE THAT HE HANDLES THEM WITH ALL OF THE CARE AND LOVE THAT THEY DESERVE. AND MORE. BECAUSE THEY'RE IMPORTANT TO ME)

I've heard that some of the most expensive pieces at the show this year are going to be behind glass, and I have to think that Linus' actions at past CESs (flocks of CES? Idunno what the plural form of a massive tech event should be, I'm just a marketing guy) have at least SOMETHING to do with that... :ph34r:

And I hope that we do cover it! I'll see what we can do for you on the "dropping" front ;)