Apple Airpods Review

13 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I've heard that some of the most expensive pieces at the show this year are going to be behind glass, and I have to think that Linus' actions at past CESs (flocks of CES? Idunno what the plural form of a massive tech event should be, I'm just a marketing guy) have at least SOMETHING to do with that... :ph34r:

And I hope that we do cover it! I'll see what we can do for you on the "dropping" front ;) 

yah like that stops him 

$130 million USD in seed funding

pfffft

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

21 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah like that stops him 

pfffft

was just gonna post this exact thing in response :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah like that stops him 

pfffft

@LinusTech need to bring his iFixit kit to CES if encounter screws for the glass.

I don't find this  a very thorough review.

Basically no mention of the sound quality, bar they're not as good as high end wired ones. No shit.

Complaining they're not worth twice the retail price that you paid. I mean really? Why is that even a conversation point.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

so is it going to last a full 8 hour work day?

The airpods have a 5-hour battery life and the case extends that to 24 hours. It should have no issues lasting 2-3 days for you. 

2 minutes ago, abazigal said:

The airpods have a 5-hour battery life and the case extends that to 24 hours. It should have no issues lasting 2-3 days for you. 

5 hours isnt good enough to replace wired headphones

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

remember that if you lose one of those ear pods (and you will), it's a $69 replacement lol.

Yappy chow wow voice or not:
#doyou

Fuck chasing what people want, you can't please everyone and trying to please a majority on individual things = please no one on.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

I don't know if it was because there was nothing particularly good or bad about the earbuds to get excited about or if Linus had / was getting over a cold but he sounded kind of monotone in the video.

3 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

5 hours isnt good enough to replace wired headphones

It's good enough for me, considering I rarely ever wear headphones for that long a duration at one stretch. 

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I liked my Shure SE215s but the cables only lasted a couple months on those before getting some awful distortion... upkeep was a bit too expensive for my taste when it comes to a pair of earphones...

If your cable only lasted a few months then i'd suggest there was a level of mistreatment to it.

I've had my SE425's for a year now, i use them every day for 4-5 hours in bursts usually while travelling, If they're not in my ears they're usually in a pocket (in their case) being sat on, I don't treat them with silk gloves by any stretch of the imagination, but that cable is solid and I've had no issues at all with cable or ear phone damage.

3 hours ago, gonvres said:

Basically no mention of the sound quality, bar they're not as good as high end wired ones. No shit.

Complaining they're not worth twice the retail price that you paid. I mean really? Why is that even a conversation point.

Pretty sure he paid 300$ cad that makes it 225 US$ still 50$ above retail.

for Linus his doing this video is quite neutral, I know that there wasn't much time between the shooting/writing and the release, but it feels like Linus lost his magic energy bubble.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

8 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Finally, someone else has the same problem as me

Me too....... HAD to buy sponge. HAD TO. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

if you dont like them, then you dont buy them

battery not good enoug, dont buy them

too expensive, dont buy them

dont like the look, dont buy them

i could go on, but tbh £160 can buy you some beats wireless in ear headphones so yeah

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I really can't wait for the BeatsX. Of all the wireless audio offerings Apple has announced, that was the one that excited me the most, and I think Linus will like it as well.

An IEM style earphone that has cables attached on both ends, so he can listen with one ear, and an inline control.

SQ should be an upgrade as well, at least slightly.

just watched the review.

apples new fancy ''W1'' chip in a nutshell , is NFC. what NCF can do , the W1 ship can do and vise versa. 

fcking apple , the '' W1 '' as those smartards like to call em , has the same mindset of NFC. The difference is that the W1 chip ( not the bluetooth ) is like a locked down version of NFC that can only work with apple products. 

In a nutshell comparison , NFC vs W1 is like freesync vs G-Sync. 

(⌐■_■) 

10 hours ago, gonvres said:

I don't even know why he called it an Audiophile review.  Linus is not anywhere near an audiophile.  And this review was horrible much like the Microboard monitor 'review' where he doesn't cover much about the specs and proceeds to bitch about tearing with this freesync monitor even though he's running an nvidia card. 

Lost all credibility IMO.

6 hours ago, Bojamijams said:

I don't even know why he called it an Audiophile review.  Linus is not anywhere near an audiophile.  And this review was horrible much like the Microboard monitor 'review' where he doesn't cover much about the specs and proceeds to bitch about tearing with this freesync monitor even though he's running an nvidia card. 

Lost all credibility IMO.

The content just feels really rushed lately. They didn't do any real testing, they just went for the airpod clicks and did a short test reel featuring it. 

19 hours ago, DeejaySelek said:

Why would you pay a scalper on Craigslist for these, or at the very least, why would you bring it up in the video?

You must be new to LinusTechTips.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You must be new to LinusTechTips.

I actually am, I'm just thinking it's better to wait it out than be first but overpay by a ridiculous amount.

Just now, DeejaySelek said:

I actually am, I'm just thinking it's better to wait it out than be first but overpay by a ridiculous amount.

Enjoy.

20 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Buy Apple Airpods on Amazon: http://geni.us/A7LI

The Apple Airpods - they're extremely late, but they're not as awful as you might expect...

The replacement cost of a single airpod (GB£65.00) is utterly ridiculous.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

20 hours ago, DeejaySelek said:

Why would you pay a scalper on Craigslist for these, or at the very least, why would you bring it up in the video?

Did they really? I thought Linus was simply poking fun at Apple fanboys with that part. 

18 hours ago, abazigal said:

I think he meant listening to them for 8 hours straight at work, without taking 15 minutes to recharge 3 hours of their battery life. While you're certainly not wrong that they will easily get people through 2-3 days, or even a week between fully recharging the case, there are some of us who literally listen to music for 8+ hours a day or more. Sure, we might take one earbud out to have a conversation, but otherwise music plays for far longer than any comfortable, decent sounding current generation Bluetooth headset will last at this time.

10 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

dID HE SAY

Hide contents

HAMILTON?

@LinusTech was probably referencing the Hamilton Mixtape album that recently came out. Normally, I don't listen to modern-day "rap" or "hip-hop" due to the copious amount of performers who can't sign without autotune, hence the quotes around the genres. This mixtape was different though... a few tracks reminded me of the rap and hip-hop of the late 90's to early 2000's. How I miss the good old days of shoddy mixing, poorly generated beat tracks, and more natural sounding pseudo pre-autotune era vocals. JaRule and Ashanti, oldskool Alicia Keys, hell even Wiz Khalifa's track was enjoyable, and I don't like most of his producers' music.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)