Delidding Intels 7700k drops temps by almost 30C

brighttail
3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

what's the difference going to be though? The silver based compound is also liquid metal.

This is what I plan on using:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/heatsink-compound-25-silver-1-5g/p/NM2013

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/h27/h5e/8886994862110/NM2013-msdsMain.pdf

trust me bro just get CLU, i've been doing this for a long time, used boatloads of paste and CLU kicks everythings ass WHEN BETWEEN THE IHS AND DIE

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

what's the difference going to be though? The silver based compound is also liquid metal.

This is what I plan on using:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/heatsink-compound-25-silver-1-5g/p/NM2013

https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/h27/h5e/8886994862110/NM2013-msdsMain.pdf

I cannot for the life of me, get those pages to load. That being said, I've used CLU, and can vouch for it's effectiveness. Your product (from what google tells me) contains far more silicone than metal, meaning it's effectiveness will almost certainly be less than that of CLU. If you are going to be putting in the effort of delidding, i'd say go for broke, and do it in the best way possible.

Buy some clearcoat nail polish, cover the gold contacts near the bare die for added safety, and buckle down and grab some CLU. Cut the brush bristles in half, and lightly dip it in the CLU syringe, and using only that amount, thinly paint the die. Repeat for the underside of the IHS (the side that will be making contact with the die) so that the CLU adheres to itself when IHS is applied. This results in the best contact, and will give you the results we have.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I cannot for the life of me, get those pages to load. That being said, I've used CLU, and can vouch for it's effectiveness. Your product (from what google tells me) contains far more silicone than metal, meaning it's effectiveness will almost certainly be less than that of CLU. If you are going to be putting in the effort of delidding, i'd say go for broke, and do it in the best way possible.

Buy some clearcoat nail polish, cover the gold contacts near the bare die for added safety, and buckle down and grab some CLU. Cut the brush bristles in half, and lightly dip it in the CLU syringe, and using only that amount, thinly paint the die. Repeat for the underside of the IHS (the side that will be making contact with the die) so that the CLU adheres to itself when IHS is applied. This results in the best contact, and will give you the results we have.

I didn't even bother painting the underside of IHS, just scraped some of the black glue shit off, painted the die with CLU, plopped the IHS on and bam

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

I didn't even bother painting the underside of IHS, just scraped some of the black glue shit off, painted the die with CLU, plopped the IHS on and bam

You madman!

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

You madman!

ae9.jpg

20 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Don't use aluminum, problem solved. Copper is superior anyways, unless weight is important to you. That being said, you can get away with nickel plated aluminum (if any heatsinks exist) as long as you don't accidentally scratch through the plating. 

EDIT: As @Lays said, for the bare die, it's perfectly fine. If using it on top (don't really recommend, as it doesn't do much) follow my advice above. Though, I personally just use gelid on top, lol. 

PFFT, no EK Indigo? 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

To the both of you, noz to quote you on phone, how would CLU work on a laptop when compared to NT-H1? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

To the both of you, noz to quote you on phone, how would CLU work on a laptop when compared to NT-H1? 

Assuming a non-aluminum heatsink, very very well, but you'll have to reapply every few months since it's a more open-air environment.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

8 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Assuming a non-aluminum heatsink, very very well, but you'll have to reapply every few months since it's a more open-air environment.

I plan on using it on my Asus N550JK on both CPU and GPU, didn't have the time to change the paste so if it might help... I'm curious as to what I might expect on using CLU and Noctua, or better to say if I can expect much lower temps on CLU, and if I can live with reapplying CLU once a year? @MageTank @Lays 

And I'm on laptop so can do proper posts.

13 minutes ago, MageTank said:

93WZ6gp.png

kek

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I personally had both good and bad experience with CLU. At first, it was amazing, as it dropped temps by about 15C on my brothers XPS13. Then a couple weeks ago, disaster struck, and temps soared high. 

XgqKWwi.jpg

It completely lost it's liquid state, and turned extremely coarse. In fact, after using a microfiber cloth and some 91% isopropyl, this was as clean as I could get the die:

1FNEYQF.png

In order to get the heatsink clean, I had to use sandpaper. It was indeed a copper heatisnk, so it's not as if the gallium caused corrosion. I found a few others on OCN complaining about the same effect, but I'll need to do more tests to confirm. It might be chalked up as old CLU, as this tube was about 6 months old, and not stored in the best conditions. 

EDIT: I've used CLU on this 6700k for almost 8 months now, and temps are relatively the same as the day I first applied. Most people on OCN recommend reapplying once a year, to prevent the staining effect above, but as far as thermal performance goes, I have not seen drastic changes for prolonged usage. Maybe 1-3C at most. 

7 hours ago, MageTank said:

Snip

I did a bit of research and as it seems to me, the delta between CLU and Noctua shouldn't be that big, few C at most. I still think imma go with Noctua, but I will keep CLU in mind. And if that what happened to your brothers XPS were to happen to me, it might be a problem since I rarely have time to open my laptop and deal with it. 

If you de-lid your CPU with a chainsaw, it's temperatures are even better*

*note method is still in Alpha.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:31 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Please update this to fit the news posting guidelines.

---

That's huge.  I had heard it was running hotter than Skylake but if this is why, then there's hope - maybe it's not a bad chip after all, just a terrible thermal solution.  Hopefully when they ship them they will have fixed this by essentially factory-deliding them :P 

intel are the masters of making things worse when it comes to cpu lids and the compounds they use in-between them. 1000 dollar CPUs and they cheap out on the fucking lid and paste. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On 12/16/2016 at 5:09 AM, Gibbons said:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-i7-7700k-has-arrived-insights-benchies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

This is the real source. Scroll down and see his previous testing.

He used a big water cooler(corsair h110i) and got avg 83 degrees with 4.7 Ghz @ 1.264v.

After delid and using another big water cooler (Kraken x62) he got avg 72 degrees with 5.1Ghz - 1.376v.

On 12/16/2016 at 5:14 AM, Master Disaster said:

Jesus, don't these people understand how variables work?

For a consistent result they must keep all variables the same across all tests. This moron changed just about every single thing he could, different cooler? Check. Different clock speed? Check. Different voltage? Check.

He might as well say green is better than purple because my bacon tastes of sunshine.

yah, that's stupid. still a pretty big difference though, reminds me of the 4770k. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

59 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah, that's stupid. still a pretty big difference though, reminds me of the 4770k. 

With the amount people pay for the K series, it should always come with the best possible TIM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

intel are the masters of making things worse when it comes to cpu lids and the compounds they use in-between them. 1000 dollar CPUs and they cheap out on the fucking lid and paste. 

None of the $1000 cpus have cheap paste.  The entire e series is soldered.

4 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

None of the $1000 cpus have cheap paste.  The entire e series is soldered.

And that's only possible due to the size of the die.

PMSL

On 12/15/2016 at 9:42 PM, brighttail said:

Even if the temperatures are 1/2 what is claimed, it could be note worthy.  Obviously more reviews are needed but this is the second or third article I have seen about their i7700K chips running hotter than the previous generation. 

lol it's all that hevc 10-bit decoding ....

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

And that's only possible due to the size of the die.

Well, the size of the die doesn't excuse the quality of the thermal compound, but as far as soldering goes that's true.

As for people talking about TIM. I recommend MX-4. Why?  Well take a look. I use it on the die and the heatsink and for my GPU. I actually tried Indigo Extreme (on the IHS obv) and it was honestly garbage, CLU has it's issues and MX-4 is pretty much on par.

Spoiler

6cf61527e3.png

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

22 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, the size of the die doesn't excuse the quality of the thermal compound, but as far as soldering goes that's true.

I know-Intel should use the best with the price of the K series.

PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I know-Intel should use the best with the price of the K series.

But they do not do that, the stuff that was under the IHS was more like "gunk" than TIM... :S :

Spoiler

20150226_164446.jpg

This article is total bullshit.

- They changed the cooler from a Thermalright 6 to a Corsair H110i to an NZXT Kraken X62

- They changed the voltage from 1.34 to 1.264 to 1.344

- They changed the clockspeed from 5GHz to 4.7GHz to 5GHz again

There's no way they could possibly draw any kind of conclusion from such a BS test where basically every variable changed, let alone a conclusion where temps decreased by 30 degrees. They might as well have used a different CPU altogether.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?