Why isnt there any SLI support for the GTX 1060?

Ramen Man

To me multi video cards setups don't make sense unless you're working with high end cards. The only pro you get is increased performance. There's a laundry list of cons.

While sure, it's an option that's removed, I don't see it an option that needs to stay either.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

What makes you think people aren't happy with 1080p medium settings?

There are people that are, and it's more than likely they're happy with using older cards that are still capable of pushing that no problem. This generation is more about 1440p gaming, seeing as the mid tier and high tier offerings are vast overkill of 1080p. The 1060 can handle 1440p competently now, and will for a few years with sacrifices on some graphics options in games that'll come out over those few years.

However, that wasn't the point of the 1050 and 1050Ti. They were created for the explicit purpose of giving people a mainstream/eSports option from NVidia.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

There are people that are, and it's more than likely they're happy with using older cards that are still capable of pushing that no problem. This generation is more about 1440p gaming, seeing as the mid tier and high tier offerings are vast overkill of 1080p. The 1060 can handle 1440p competently now, and will for a few years with sacrifices on some graphics options in games that'll come out over those few years.

However, that wasn't the point of the 1050 and 1050Ti. They were created for the explicit purpose of giving people a mainstream/eSports option from NVidia.

If it really was specifically for esports then a fcking iGPU would be more than enough for 1080p gaming...You buy a dGPU to play triple As and other games where the 1050 is more than capable of doing. The 1050 is an entry gaming card with the 1060 being middle tier. Obviously we have different opinions but just because a GPU isn't able to push games at 1080p ultra settings with 16x MSAA while having all the shitty lens flare and uber particles or smth at 60fps doesn't make it any less of a 'gaming' GPU than something that can do it. 

This is why people don't like the PCMR, they are all arrogant elitests who has $$$ to spend on a PC specifically built to play games. It's like telling people who has a $400 budget to fuck off and get a console. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 19/11/2016 at 4:10 PM, YaqinHasan said:

SLI will cause stutter, higher frametime and higher input lag and also needs extra optimization by Nvidia and also the game develouper. Nvidia decided to only allow SLI on high end cards so that they can focus and optimize those. SLI on the 1060 would put it at about 80-90% of the 1080 at just 100$ less, which even then doesn't make much sense considering you need an HBSLI bridge to reach those numbers and also a more expensive power supply to power dual cards.

The HB Bridge is needed because the old bridge didn't have the bandwidth for resolutions above and beyond 4K without introducing latency. There is absolutely no way that this would be remotely a requirement for low end cards like the 1060 which you should not be going anywhere near 5K or 6K with.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If it really was specifically for esports then a fcking iGPU would be more than enough for 1080p gaming...

Not at the 140-160 fps that fast-paced esports are generally played at. There's a reason that Nvidia advertised the 950 last gen on its low latency.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If it really was specifically for esports then a fcking iGPU would be more than enough for 1080p gaming...You buy a dGPU to play triple As and other games where the 1050 is more than capable of doing. The 1050 is an entry gaming card with the 1060 being middle tier. Obviously we have different opinions but just because a GPU isn't able to push games at 1080p ultra settings with 16x MSAA while having all the shitty lens flare and uber particles or smth at 60fps doesn't make it any less of a 'gaming' GPU than something that can do it. 

This is why people don't like the PCMR, they are all arrogant elitests who has $$$ to spend on a PC specifically built to play games. It's like telling people who has a $400 budget to fuck off and get a console. 

I'm far from PCMR, and I'm not going to lie about what GPU is entry level and what GPU is mainstream.

The 1050 and 1050Ti are not bids into any gaming market outside of eSports. They're enough for some light gaming and for when an iGPU doesn't cut it. There's a reason they're called MAINSTREAM GPUs. They're made for anyone and everyone that doesn't give a shit about gaming, want a cheap system that is capable of some basic gaming (typically LAN or new users), or just want a second card to offload mundane tasks from a gaming GPU.

I'm all for cards like the 1050 and 1050Ti. I just won't lie and say that they're entry level bids, that they can pull decent 1080p gaming for the duration of the generation they came from. That's not what they are.

Oh, and by the way, Intel's current 500 series graphics can't pull eSports off. AMD's high end APUs can, but that means sacrificing on many new features and CPU performance.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Not at the 140-160 fps that fast-paced esports are generally played at.

*cough cough* not like I don't know that as it's not like I've not played CSGO as a 'quarter-pro' before...(not quite semi-pro but ah well)

If we're talking about fast-paced esport titles such as CSGO then 140-160fps is not enough for us, we like 250fps+ where it's more about the CPU rather than GPU ;) 

On a side note, I know iGPUs aren't exactly powerful for overwatch or R6S but they're more than plenty for the primary 3 esport titles known as CS, League and dota

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They're made for anyone and everyone that doesn't give a shit about gaming

In that case, an iGPU is perfect for them as they don't need anything more powerful than an iGPU.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The 1050 and 1050Ti are not bids into any gaming market outside of eSports. They're enough for some light gaming and for when an iGPU doesn't cut it. There's a reason they're called MAINSTREAM GPUs. They're made for anyone and everyone that doesn't give a shit about gaming, want a cheap system that is capable of some basic gaming (typically LAN or new users), or just want a second card to offload mundane tasks from a gaming GPU.

Again, this is like the PCMR elitest situation I suggested earlier, what you're saying is people who has a $400 budget aren't gamers? There's a massive market for sub $400 gaming PCs where the best they can get is a 1050/1050ti/RX460.

If I only had my i7 4500U+840M laptop, does that make me any less of a gamer than I am currently with my i7 5820K and RX470? Just because they can't afford anything better doesn't mean they're mainstream.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Oh, and by the way, Intel's current 500 series graphics can't pull eSports off. AMD's high end APUs can, but that means sacrificing on many new features and CPU performance

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,review-33215-6.html 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

In that case, an iGPU is perfect for them as they don't need anything more powerful than an iGPU.

Again, this is like the PCMR elitest situation I suggested earlier, what you're saying is people who has a $400 budget aren't gamers? There's a massive market for sub $400 gaming PCs where the best they can get is a 1050/1050ti/RX460.

If I only had my i7 4500U+840M laptop, does that make me any less of a gamer than I am currently with my i7 5820K and RX470? Just because they can't afford anything better doesn't mean they're mainstream.

You don't know whether they need a dGPU or not. iGPUs also have more limitations when it comes to multiple monitor configurations, and eat up system RAM. Not all CPUs have iGPUs either.

What I'm saying is that people who have a $400 budget aren't going to get entry level gaming cards of this generation. The best they will get are mainstream cards. Gear doesn't make the gamer themselves, but not ever piece of kit under the GTX line is made for gamers. They're a jack of all trades, master of none card, made to be affordable and deliver better performance than an iGPU, and that's it.

The 1050, 1050Ti, and 460 are made for budget machines, machines designed to be mainstream and enough to last users a few years of good performance for non gaming oriented tasks, and some light gaming.

As for your link, it does NOT pertain to the current Intel graphic lineup: HD 500/ Iris Pro 500. The one time they mention a dGPU, the 750 1GB, and it beats the Iris Pro 6200, but that isn't impressive. They tested GTA V at 720p with minimum details

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough cough* not like I don't know that as it's not like I've not played CSGO as a 'quarter-pro' before...(not quite semi-pro but ah well)

If we're talking about fast-paced esport titles such as CSGO then 140-160fps is not enough for us, we like 250fps+ where it's more about the CPU rather than GPU ;) 

Then why did you say that an iGPU was enough for esports?

Well to shed some light, I think you guys are forgetting how NVIDIA works with nomenclature. All GT cards are mainstream GPUs no matter where its performance is or what its priced at, from the name has GT, its mainstream. These cards are for taking in 4k playback if the iGPU cant handle it, cards for multi-monitor setups because the iGPU cant handle it or you cheaped out on your motherboard so much you dont have enough display adapters and some light GPGPU work that can make a cheap system snappier and value oriented depending on workload.

All GTX cards are gaming GPUs for the purpose of gaming. Far and above modern day iGPUs to play today's titles as well as offer GPGPU performance that would be meaningful to use over your CPU no matter how high end it is. It starts at the GTX x50s, entry level. GTX x60s, low mid tier level, GTX x70, high mid tier level, GTX x80, high end level, GTX Titan highest/enthusiast level.

Dont get it confused

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

41 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Then why did you say that an iGPU was enough for esports?

There's a difference between competitive play and "mainstream" & casual :) 

On 11/19/2016 at 6:21 AM, Drak3 said:

Because you could achieve GTX 1080 performance in games that support SLI without paying as much.

That's been a thing for a while, I ran 660tis in SLI and 970s in SLI previously for just that reason, honestly I think it's just so that they can lower the amount of users going with an SLI config so that they can put SLI optimization as a lower priority to cut costs for driver development.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I'm not comparing apples with nonsense, the RX480 is the direct (and only real) competitor of the 1060 :P.

Well not really as the pascal line up is like this:

Titan XP

1050ti

Thus the 1060 and 1070 are the 2 mid end cards...

You are not answering the OP and you are going completely off topic spazzing over comparing the 1060 to older cards and products that are not sold by Nvidia. 1060 does not have SLI because it is the definition of entry level. I do not know what your definition of entry level is. Entry level means it has features cut and a price to match.

A quick google search shows it is being advertised as entry level, because it is entry level:

https://www.follownews.com/nvidias-entrylevel-gtx-1060-totally-smokes-the-gtx-980-1ium6

http://www.willwork4games.net/news/nvidia-announces-entry-level-geforce-gtx-1060-powerful-gtx-980

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gaming-pc-g31i-intel-core-i3-6100-8gb-corsair-ddr4-3gb-evga-gtx-1060-sc-250gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-win-1

http://www.moddb.com/news/nvidia-reveals-budget-vr-ready-geforce-gtx-1060-gpu

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/evga-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-red-devil-rx-470/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/galax-gtx-1060-graphics-cards,news-53541.html
http://techfrag.com/2016/07/20/msi-gtx-1060-series-gpus/#

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You are not answering the OP and you are going completely off topic spazzing over comparing the 1060 to older cards and products that are not sold by Nvidia. 1060 does not have SLI because it is the definition of entry level. I do not know what your definition of entry level is. Entry level means it has features cut and a price to match.

A quick google search shows it is being advertised as entry level, because it is entry level:

https://www.follownews.com/nvidias-entrylevel-gtx-1060-totally-smokes-the-gtx-980-1ium6

http://www.willwork4games.net/news/nvidia-announces-entry-level-geforce-gtx-1060-powerful-gtx-980

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gaming-pc-g31i-intel-core-i3-6100-8gb-corsair-ddr4-3gb-evga-gtx-1060-sc-250gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-win-1

http://www.moddb.com/news/nvidia-reveals-budget-vr-ready-geforce-gtx-1060-gpu

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/evga-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-red-devil-rx-470/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/galax-gtx-1060-graphics-cards,news-53541.html
http://techfrag.com/2016/07/20/msi-gtx-1060-series-gpus/#

And then a quick google seach comes up with the 1060 and RX480 being mid level ;) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And then a quick google seach comes up with the 1060 and RX480 being mid level ;) 

You are not answering the OP. You have failed to define entry level and why the 1060 does not have SLI. You are a troll.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

You are not answering the OP. You have failed to define entry level and why the 1060 does not have SLI. You are a troll.

I'm sure people has said enough times already, the 1060 doesn't have SLI because that would prevent people from buying 2 1060s to get the performance of a 1080 for less which also result in less driver work for Nvidia.

The xx60 has always been considered as the lower mid tier GPU so why should it have  changed now? Losing one tech doesn't mean it drops a tier completely.

33 minutes ago, totjup5 said:

That's been a thing for a while, I ran 660tis in SLI and 970s in SLI previously for just that reason, honestly I think it's just so that they can lower the amount of users going with an SLI config so that they can put SLI optimization as a lower priority to cut costs for driver development.

With the 700 and 900 series, it wasn't possible to match the x80 performance by SLI'ing the x60's due to VRAM limitations. The 760 had 1GB less than the 780, and the 960 had 2GB less than the 980 (although there was the 960 4GB cards).

However, the 2GB VRAM difference between the 1080 and 1060 isn't a problem. A single 1080 can't quite handle 4K gaming, and 6GB of VRAM is enough to drive most games at high settings.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I'm sure people has said enough times already, the 1060 doesn't have SLI because that would prevent people from buying 2 1060s to get the performance of a 1080 for less which also result in less driver work for Nvidia.

you have just described entry level pricing. They cut features and lower the entry price point.

Losing one tech doesn't mean it drops a tier completely.

that is exactly what puts it in a lower tier. Theres more than just SLI cut from the 1060.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Theres more than just SLI cut from the 1060.

Alrighty, you can name me all the features that has been cut from the 1060 :) 

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

They cut features and lower the entry price point.

So the 1070 is entry as well then? As it's not got GDDR5X thus it's had features cut from it...

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Alrighty, you can name me all the features that has been cut from the 1060 :) 

So the 1070 is entry as well then? As it's not got GDDR5X thus it's had features cut from it...

Google it. Read the white paper.

You are trolling and not answering the OP.

Go learn what entry level pricing means.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Google it. Read the white paper.

You are trolling and not answering the OP.

Go learn what entry level pricing means.

Can't find anything other than it's missing SLI

Just because you think a card is low end doesn't mean it's low end

Nah, I know what it means, entry means the cheapest possible thing that still gets the job done thus the 750ti/950/1050 depending on where you live ;) 

10 hours ago, othertomperson said:

The HB Bridge is needed because the old bridge didn't have the bandwidth for resolutions above and beyond 4K without introducing latency. There is absolutely no way that this would be remotely a requirement for low end cards like the 1060 which you should not be going anywhere near 5K or 6K with.

Not at the 140-160 fps that fast-paced esports are generally played at. There's a reason that Nvidia advertised the 950 last gen on its low latency.

I'm willing to bet even the Titan XP can't do 8K 60FPS. The HBSLI is made to "improve latency" as you said, so the difference in latency should also be noticeable at other resolutions, no?

Right I am getting f*cking annoyed with the amount of notifications coming through over a small debate even though this forum thread is about me asking a simple question about the GTX 1060. Please stop, be more sensible and mature about it lads, if u want to continue, fricking continue some where ELSE.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, Jumper118 said:

its all opinion so this argument is pointless.  

Thank you very much.

On ‎2016‎.‎11‎.‎19‎. at 6:10 PM, YaqinHasan said:

SLI will cause stutter, higher frametime and higher input lag and also needs extra optimization by Nvidia and also the game develouper. Nvidia decided to only allow SLI on high end cards so that they can focus and optimize those. SLI on the 1060 would put it at about 80-90% of the 1080 at just 100$ less, which even then doesn't make much sense considering you need an HBSLI bridge to reach those numbers and also a more expensive power supply to power dual cards.

that's what they want you to believe

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

10 minutes ago, DXMember said:

that's what they want you to believe

Then why use a crossfire setup?