Why isnt there any SLI support for the GTX 1060?

Ramen Man

Not really sure, I mean the 1070 and gtx 1080 has it, so does the 970, 980 etc. Please let me know below! :)

Because you could achieve GTX 1080 performance in games that support SLI without paying as much.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

the 960 did, but the 1060 doesn't because it will most likely undercut the performance of the 1080 and the 1070.... If the 1060 is roughly similar to the 480 and 2 480s in xfire can beat or match a 1080 at much lower cost....

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Just now, Drak3 said:

Because you could achieve GTX 1080 performance in games that support SLI without paying as much.

So Nvidia basically wants us to buy 1070s and 1080s and paying more at the same time?

because its an entry level card and the sales strategy is you pay more for extra features. Anyone doing series GPU work will not be using an entry level card

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

because its an entry level card and the sales strategy is you pay more for extra features. Anyone doing series GPU work will not be using an entry level card

What do you mean by entry level card?

1 minute ago, Ramen Man said:

So Nvidia basically wants us to buy 1070s and 1080s and paying more at the same time?

No, they don't want people circumventing the price of their more expensive options. They want to maximize profits.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Ramen Man said:

Not really sure, I mean the 1070 and gtx 1080 has it, so does the 970, 980 etc. Please let me know below! :)

Because tech journalists keep telling people not to SLI low end cards even if they are capable of giving 1080 performance for half the price because of nebulous "issues".

It's moot anyway, if Dx 12 and Vulkan become mainstream APIs it won't matter you won't need the driver to support it.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, they don't want people circumventing the price of their more expensive options. They want to maximize profits.

kk thanks for the info.

1: SLI is in a shitty state right now for the 1000 series from what iv seen, little support and more then 2-way induces problems

2: because they dont want you to get more preformance then the 1070/1080 with two 1060s even tho a single 1070 would be cheaper(most of the time)

3: price, if you want more preformance you will need to get another more expensive card to get more preformance, if you buy a 1060 and then decide you want more preformance for say 1440p maxed out then you buy a 1070 instead of another 1060 so now you have spent a total price of about 3 1060s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Ramen Man said:

What do you mean by entry level card?

cheap & minimum requirements

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Ramen Man said:

SLI will cause stutter, higher frametime and higher input lag and also needs extra optimization by Nvidia and also the game develouper. Nvidia decided to only allow SLI on high end cards so that they can focus and optimize those. SLI on the 1060 would put it at about 80-90% of the 1080 at just 100$ less, which even then doesn't make much sense considering you need an HBSLI bridge to reach those numbers and also a more expensive power supply to power dual cards.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

not even close to an entry level card dude 

It was the same with the 660ti sli. But as most complain about sli and try to push better cards onto people, NVidia just helped them out.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, 107x said:

not even close to an entry level card dude 

$330 NZD for the 3G card, its sits between the 1050 and the 6G 1060. It is Nvidia's entry level product

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

because nvidia want to become the apple of pc. they will tell you if you can sli the 2 cards you bought :/ 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

200usd its better than rx 480 8g and is as good as 980 was in its time 

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

$330 NZD for the 3G card, its sits between the 1050 and the 6G 1060. It is Nvidia's entry level product

its an entry level card at mid range card prices ;) 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

10 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

entry level card

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

entry level card

How is a 1060 entry? It's a mid level card as if it was entry then the 1070 and 1080 are mid level cards with the titan XP being the only high-end...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

its an entry level card at mid range card prices ;) 

in NZ the prices are

$250 - 350 for 1050

$330 - 450 for 1060 3G

~500 for 1060 5G

~750 for 1070

>$1000 for 1080

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

How is a 1060 entry? It's a mid level card as if it was entry then the 1070 and 1080 are mid level cards with the titan XP being the only high-end...

exactly