Why does Linus Tech tips do international giveaways

Giveaways - DO YOU WANT OR NOT  

63 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU WANT LINUS TECH TIPS TO CONDUCT INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAYS

i need the reason why do they do no giveaways still support them???:(((

Why wouldn't they do international giveaways? They have viewers around the world and it woundt be fair if it was region specific (North America). They do giveaways when they can, asking wont help, they aren't made of money. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

International giveaways are a legality nightmare as well as major burden when it comes to cost. As it has been said asking won't help, Linus knows he has fans all over the globe, it simply isn't feasible for him.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You need to understand for LTT to do international giveways they need to abide by the Law/Regulations of each country. It not as simple as just shipping an item to the winner.

Wait... are you asking why they DO them or why they DON'T do them? The title seems to contradict the post...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, if they do, you'll be paying A LOT of import tax and other stuff. My friend won a Monitor from a Youtuber in America, he had to pay £300 import tax. This was 3 years btw.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

They DO do international giveaways.  It's not like it comes out of their pocket.

Import tax varies from country to country - it isn't an issue here.

International Giveaways are kind of a requirement when your viewer base is all around the world.

What I wish they would do, is to add some extra rules so that all the one post wonders aren't able to win... Or that only those registered before X date can participate, it would prevent those who make multiple accounts through proxy/vpn from winning.

But then that "wouldn't be fair", to the "new viewers" who haven't made a forum account yet or might encourage spamming.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Why shouldn't they? They have viewers all over the world.

^ this , it would be unfair for the EU crowd and especially for the asia crowd

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

International Giveaways are kind of a requirement when your viewer base is all around the world.

What I wish they would do, is to add some extra rules so that all the one post wonders aren't able to win... Or that only those registered before X date can participate, it would prevent those who make multiple accounts through proxy/vpn from winning.

But then that "wouldn't be fair", to the "new viewers" who haven't made a forum account yet or might encourage spamming.

Although I tend to agree, it has been discussed before and has been rejected for the simple fact that its meant to grow the community and get new users to join. Sure, some dont stay long, but I myself joined for a giveaway and stayed on. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

if the prize is passed on as a  "Gift" for taxation reason the value of the goods as a "give away " or "prize" would restrict the amount of Tax deduction entitles to be claimed, but as long as Linus is not promoting the items, just a good old fashioned draw then the smaller item may not fall into the limitation of taxation.

or just for fun purchase the item in his own name and just give it away - no claim then no restrictions .......just a thought. ... small item.... :)

time for the ** - check with the accountant 

I suspect you mean they don't? Actually they do but rarely. Reason: Money and legal things. In many countries lottery laws are very strict and heavily controlled. LMG might be able to do it and participant chip in. But import/border control could confiscate price due it not meeting requirements and legal documentation. Also its very expensive to ship electronics, much more the bigger the things are.

Usually when its international giveaway, they co-operate with multi-national company which can easily do shipping from local warehouse and handle local legal issues plus warranty things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am confused.

Does Linus do International Giveaways or not.

If not, is it then just Canada, or CAN + USA.

I believe it would fall under the products they are giving away. Intel would take care of it, or EVGA. I doubt LMG would do much. Its the customers responsibility to pay taxes on it, if they are American. Luckily Canadians never pay taxes on winnings. So when you see The Price is Right for the jiggly "fun bags" and they won a $80,000 car...... well they have to pay the taxes on that upfront. Per shows rules. They havent even won anything yet and they are going shit crazy.

As others have said, it's because the legal side of multi-national giveaways is a massive pain in the ass. Canada/US is possible but you're still dealing with a fair amount of red tape. Basically the more countries you want involved, the more paperwork. And if they stay in NA then it's easy enough to manage and you don't look like you're being selective. 

This thread is ultra confusing. The title contradicts the OP, and many are saying they aren't doing it due to laws and stuff. 

Someone correct me but as far as I can remember every single giveaway they had was worldwide. I don't remember giveaways in 2013 though. 

And to OP, if you support them, do it for right reasons, not because you want them to do giveaways. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

We have a Tech Fans group in mumbai that literally boils down to Jayz and LTT fans (many havent yet build a pc)

2 hours ago, Scitesh said:

We have a Tech Fans group in mumbai that literally boils down to Jayz and LTT fans (many havent yet build a pc)

Thats because Linus is a sexy sexy man.

I have yet to see Jay Z Cent do a giveway, but I havent noticed. He talks about giving away cards when he hits 5M, but he flip flops a lot. I gave up on the man.

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Thats because Linus is a sexy sexy man.

I have yet to see Jay Z Cent do a giveway, but I havent noticed. He talks about giving away cards when he hits 5M, but he flip flops a lot. I gave up on the man.

didnt he just did a GTx 1080 giveaway?

OFC they should do international giveaways.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 hours ago, Scitesh said:

didnt he just did a GTx 1080 giveaway?

I got no idea, I just hear him moaning and complaining about 5M subs and 3 cards.

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I got no idea, I just hear him moaning and complaining about 5M subs and 3 cards.

5M subs, he doesn't even have 1M yet, more like 800k.

He said he planned to do a 3 card giveaway recently but with all the bullshit about him being bought and paid for by EVGA recently he is going back to the drawing board since it would have happened pretty much now when all that is still flying around.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: