Which is more important; higher core count on a CPU or more RAM?

Danuki
Go to solution Solved by JoaoPRSousa,
1 minute ago, Danuki said:

Yea, it comes with an NVIDIA GT 970

Since you claimed that a GPU wasn't needed, go for the Acer. As said, it is way better than the iBP CPU wise.

So basically, my old PC died a couple of weeks ago, and I've been looking for a replacement. Because of limited time issues, I cannot build my own PC (and yes, I am fully aware it is cheaper to build your own), so I have been searching for a decent pre-built computer. I've narrowed it down to two options; a configuration I made on iBuyPower's Build-Your-Own PC customizer through WalMart, and an Acer desktop from Microcenter. The iBuyPower configuration I made has an AMD FX-6300 6-core and 4 gigs of RAM (alongside other stuff) for $457 US, while the Acer has a Core i5 Quad-Core and 8 gigs of RAM for around $400 US. So I am wondering, which should I get? (And just for your information, both come with Windows 10, and I was able to salvage my graphics card (which isn't high-end, but is a workhorse), so inclusion of a graphics card isn't really that important).

Thank you for your help! :)

Take the one with the i5, it is way better

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

Grab the i5 from Acer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The i5 model is the better option here.

Please quote me if you are replying so that I get a notification. Also, mark my answer as "correct" if I've answered your question :)

Nowadays, I recommend always having at least 8 gigs of ram. That being said, the i5 should stomp that AMD cpu any day.

more cores = better only if you are talking about CPU's of the same generation/brand. Comparing AMD with Intel based on core count is useless.

When in doubt, re-format.

5 minutes ago, Danuki said:

So basically, my old PC died a couple of weeks ago, and I've been looking for a replacement. Because of limited time issues, I cannot build my own PC (and yes, I am fully aware it is cheaper to build your own), so I have been searching for a decent pre-built computer. I've narrowed it down to two options; a configuration I made on iBuyPower's Build-Your-Own PC customizer through WalMart, and an Acer desktop from Microcenter. The iBuyPower configuration I made has an AMD FX-6300 6-core and 4 gigs of RAM (alongside other stuff) for $457 US, while the Acer has a Core i5 Quad-Core and 8 gigs of RAM for around $400 US. So I am wondering, which should I get? (And just for your information, both come with Windows 10, and I was able to salvage my graphics card (which isn't high-end, but is a workhorse), so inclusion of a graphics card isn't really that important).

Thank you for your help! :)

The i5+8GB, not even a competition.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

i5+8GB of RAM easily, I feel IBP is either overpricing their stuff or...someone needs to be fired for dem pricing :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The current AMD CPUs are pretty bad unfortunately, i5+8GB are clearly the better choice.

Hope this changes soon ^^ #HypedForZen

I am slowly beginning to have an idea what I'm doing

Wait, you're wondering if a better CPU, more RAM, and lower price is better or worse than the option with a worse CPU, less RAM and higher cost? :S 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

i5+8GB of RAM easily, I feel IBP is either overpricing their stuff or...someone needs to be fired for dem pricing :P 

Or the iBP one has a discrete GPU while the Acer doesn't ;) 

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Or the iBP one has a discrete GPU while the Acer doesn't ;) 

4GB is not enough these days for modern loads and I'm not exactly a fan of Acer's build quality. i5 + 8GB would be far more useful overall regardless. 

1 minute ago, Danuki said:

Since you claimed that a GPU wasn't needed, go for the Acer. As said, it is way better than the iBP CPU wise.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

The answer to the general question in the title would be: it depends on what you will use the PC for.

The answer to the particular options you are considering is to go with the i5 option, because it wins in both fronts: more RAM and a CPU that would perform better in all tasks than the FX-6300 (I'm guessing it's a relatively current i5).