Most aggravating tech questions?

Jack Longman
On October 16, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Brian McKee said:

I hate people who can't do their own legwork. Sure I know the answer but I'm not your own personal google, do some research on your own.

Also "will it bottleneck" is infuriating, I hate the youtubers who made this shit a buzzword.

Some people do suck at Google so asking for help is better for them.

Shouldn't you be happy that someone trusts your expertise to be able to assist them?  

The least you could do is point someone asking for help in the right direction.

Btw: what's your profile picture?    

On October 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM, ModuleLFS said:

Not at all, just talking about computer tech made me seem like a quantum physicist to her.

That's how my older relatives are ever since I started getting into PC stuff.  I know more than I used to but I'm still basically a noob compared to many people here.  

But the way my relatives talk any time I've mentioned computers you'd think I knew everything and had a definite future career in IT.  

On October 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

"I have 2 GTX 980ti s running in SLI, should I upgrade to 1080s?"

or

"I have a 5770k, is it worth it to upgrade to a 6770k?

You know the person is just showing off.

I have a 6700K (not bragging just stating what CPU I have) and to be honest I have zero concept of what future gen of CPUs will be newer enough to justify upgrading.  

So for me at least asking "I have x is y good enough to upgrade to?" would be a legit/seriously asked question not showing off at all.

Though yes some people might be doing that which would be annoying of course.

My favourite is when people ask me, why has my laptop broke or so what has broke on the motherboard....

I generally just show them the mobo as say "take your pick".

Sigh life as a Dell field engineer.

Where should I download my RAM?

11 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I said intel, not that fucking potato. Also an AMD quad core that can compare (It can't compare, but at least it won't be laughably worst) would be the 8320 their "cores" are still sharing resources. They're possibly better than hyperthreading but not as good as 8 actual intel cores for example.

Intel Atom then? :D

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Some people do suck at Google so asking for help is better for them.

Shouldn't you be happy that someone trusts your expertise to be able to assist them?  

The least you could do is point someone asking for help in the right direction.

Btw: what's your profile picture?    

I'm talking about people I met online through games and stuff. And it'a fine to a point, after you ask me shit ton of basic questions that you could have all answered with a basic guide (which I have usually linked at that point) then I get annoyed.

Also:

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Able_Sisters

20 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I'm talking about people I met online through games and stuff. And it'a fine to a point, after you ask me shit ton of basic questions that you could have all answered with a basic guide (which I have usually linked at that point) then I get annoyed.

Also:

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Able_Sisters

Ah.  I can understand how random people online asking a ton of questions might get bothersome.

Sable right?

I knew the character looked familiar.  It's been forever since I played New Leaf so that's probably why I didn't recognize your picture.  

When I try to explain an assigned VM to clients at work and tell them it follows them when they move computers (thin clients). and they sound scared. 

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's how my older relatives are ever since I started getting into PC stuff.  I know more than I used to but I'm still basically a noob compared to many people here.  

But the way my relatives talk any time I've mentioned computers you'd think I knew everything and had a definite future career in IT.  

My older relatives are super wary about getting into technology. I bought them their first flatscreen hdtv 4 years ago and i went round the next week and they didn't realise that you didn't have to go up to the tv to turn it on and off

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I have a 6700K (not bragging just stating what CPU I have) and to be honest I have zero concept of what future gen of CPUs will be newer enough to justify upgrading.  

So for me at least asking "I have x is y good enough to upgrade to?" would be a legit/seriously asked question not showing off at all.

Though yes some people might be doing that which would be annoying of course.

I generally only even consider upgrading if my current tech is causing lag or problems. I think my i7 4700 will probably last me another couple of years but my 980ti already is feeling the test of time

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

18 minutes ago, Jack Longman said:

My older relatives are super wary about getting into technology. I bought them their first flatscreen hdtv 4 years ago and i went round the next week and they didn't realise that you didn't have to go up to the tv to turn it on and off

Ouch.  I do not miss having to change stuff on the tv itself at my grandparents' house.  

Or TVs that weighed a ton.  lol 

When I'd gotten my first hdtv (a 42 inch LG LED backlit lcd) it was light enough that I was able to attach the stand and set it up without any help.  Never could've done that with a fat old tv.  lol

22 minutes ago, Jack Longman said:

I generally only even consider upgrading if my current tech is causing lag or problems. I think my i7 4700 will probably last me another couple of years but my 980ti already is feeling the test of time

I think it depends on what you're playing, what level of graphics settings you like to use, and at what resolution you play at.

For me at 1080p I only upgraded to a 1070 because I wanted to play Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out and getting at least 60fps.  Otherwise I'd have waited a while longer ideally before getting a new GPU.

Though I'm really tempted to get a 1080ti when they are released so I might have a shot at moving up to a 4K monitor.  I've seen 4K TVs in stores and oh my Godoka do they look sharp.  Sharp as in the image quality.  

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I think it depends on what you're playing, what level of graphics settings you like to use, and at what resolution you play at.

For me at 1080p I only upgraded to a 1070 because I wanted to play Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed out and getting at least 60fps.  Otherwise I'd have waited a while longer ideally before getting a new GPU.

Though I'm really tempted to get a 1080ti when they are released so I might have a shot at moving up to a 4K monitor.  I've seen 4K TVs in stores and oh my Godoka do they look sharp.  Sharp as in the image quality.  

I can get away with Rise of the Tomb Raider at full settings on 1080p with my g1 gaming 980ti but i do have to lower a couple of settings on GTA V so i may consider upgrading once the 1080ti comes out. I've tried my pc on my 4k tv and... yeah the games don't fare as well on there

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

5 hours ago, Jack Longman said:

I can get away with Rise of the Tomb Raider at full settings on 1080p with my g1 gaming 980ti but i do have to lower a couple of settings on GTA V so i may consider upgrading once the 1080ti comes out. I've tried my pc on my 4k tv and... yeah the games don't fare as well on there

I think the 1070 is fairly close to a 980ti isn't it?  So that would make sense that you can max Rise at 1080p like I can.  (Awesome game btw.)  

I forget what exactly I'm basing this on but I think I'd seen benchmarks for the 1080.   Those lead me to believe that assuming the 1080ti has a reasonable increase in performance over a 1080 then the 1080ti may be the first GPU to allow 4K on a decent amount of existing games (maybe not very demanding titles) with a single card.

That would be awesome if I'm right.  4K would be really nice to take advantage of for games that support that resolution but I have no desire to deal with the added cost and drawbacks of SLI.  So if/when I move up to 4K gaming it's most likely going to be using a single GPU.

When trying to help someone;

me: what browser are you using?

[L]user1: what's a browser?

another one I was trying to help;

me: can you send me "X" through email?

[L}user2: how do I do that? (that's at work, he had just sent me something else through email ... like 5 minutes before)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

57 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because it tends to turn into a clusteduck of programmers arguing that their language is better.

That would certainly be annoying.  ?

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

When trying to help someone;

me: what browser are you using?

[L]user1: what's a browser?

another one I was trying to help;

me: can you send me "X" through email?

[L}user2: how do I do that? (that's at work, he had just sent me something else through email ... like 5 minutes before)

"What's a browser?"  lol

At this point in time that's like asking "what's this clear liquid in the sink?" "That's called *water*".  ?

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend at the time was buying a new laptop for college (about 3 years ago). We headed to microcenter to get her hands on a few products to get a feel for what she wanted size wise...she goes up to the first laptop she sees (had a pretty dated Pentium processor but that's all I took note of) and while opening a youtube video asks, "will a more expensive computer download youtube faster?" She was top 10 in her class of 400...I have a permanent cringe on my face now.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

Don't you already have  like 5 graphics cards? 

(Me saying i need to upgrade part x in pc) 

or even better, "why are you spending $xxxx on another pc you built one like 5 years ago?!" asks person who spends $1200 on a new MacBook every 2 years to watch Netflix and cat videos.

On 10/17/2016 at 3:54 PM, Misanthrope said:

"Will my 4 core intel processor bottleneck my 1070?" lately.

It just refuses to die I remember I uploaded my second youtube video ever because people on these forums kept saying "It is bottlenecking!" when it just doesn't outside of the very limited high refresh rate 1080p scenario.

Finally someone else gets it. I have a 6600K and have never experience micro-stuttering from bottlenecking with my 980ti. Plus I have a MG279Q so I don't have that 1080p high refresh rate scenario. It's kind of similar to that one game (can't think of the name) that wouldn't clock your GPU up all the way unless you turned the settings higher.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

When you work in retail selling the crap, all of them. The one that bugs me the most I guess is "this laptop is defective or something. It's too slow. What's wrong with it?" Nothing. It's a $220 laptop with a Celeron and 2GB of RAM. Also, while pointing at the no-name "2-in-1" Windows tablet for $90. "Is this a good computer?"........................ C'mon. Just...c'mon. Really?