Most aggravating tech questions?

Jack Longman

What annoys everyone about tech questions? This one was pretty frustrating courtesy of my father.

20161015_165513.png

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

best pc processor is single core pentium hands down. Pentium is a nice brand, doesn't run hot as an amd though. Intel is something to consider too

One of my friends has a grandmother who thinks her monitor is the computer (she's not the only one who does this). Whenever she would get done, she would turn off the monitor and leave the compute running. Then she would ask why her "Samsung" wasn't working a few days later when she wanted to use it, as she tried unplugging and plugging it back in and it still had no picture.

My friend explained to her that the PC tower, a Compaq (a cruddy beige box running Windows XP), had to also be turned on, or that it was in sleep mode and she could have simply moved the mouse to wake it up.

"can you hack a facebook profile?"

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

1. What programming language(s) should I start with?
  2. How do I do xyz in Visual Basic? (being asked >= 2016)
  3. Can you help me with my programming homework/assignment? (can you do it for me)
  4. How do I fix this code? (consisting of context-less stack trace, error message, screenshot and/or words such as 'it's broken')
  5. How do I learn how to hack?
  6. How do I write an operating system?
  7. How do I write a game?

Quintessentially these account for a large percentage of the thread count in the Programming subsection...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1475592986-20161004.png

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

The ones I hear most are "computer is slow please" Either due to a virus or their cpu, ram, and disk all maxed out at 100% constantly.

Also "why do games look and run awful on my (insert old budget laptop here)?"

I have had so many people ask this question to me, because people have a mentality to assume that any computer can play any game they want. They usually get upset when I say that they need a better computer, and go back to their console.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

10 hours ago, SLAYR said:

The ones I hear most are "computer is slow please" Either due to a virus or their cpu, ram, and disk all maxed out at 100% constantly.

Also "why do games look and run awful on my (insert old budget laptop here)?"

I have had so many people ask this question to me, because people have a mentality to assume that any computer can play any game they want. They usually get upset when I say that they need a better computer, and go back to their console.

That is one of the benefits to the console.

30 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

That is one of the benefits to the console.

It has the idiot at the heart of it's target market xD

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

17 hours ago, Jack Longman said:

What annoys everyone about tech questions? This one was pretty frustrating courtesy of my father.

Can I have permission to share that pic with some of my techie friends on Facebook? 

"Is X optimised"

As if somehow as a sentence that means something.

"Will this bottleneck"

Again this doesn't mean what people obviously think it means, especially since we are not talking about a particular piece of software but all games.

54 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

"Will this bottleneck"

Again this doesn't mean what people obviously think it means, especially since we are not talking about a particular piece of software but all games.

Especially as the answer is "no" 9 times out of ten.

This leading question makes me shudder every time it is asked:

"Hey, you're good at computers, right?"

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

It has the idiot at the heart of it's target market xD

that a side, there is zero worries about "will it run" when buying a game for your console more over consoles are much better for local multiplayer.

I am far to weak to move my rig up stairs let alone to a friends house.

Pretty much just questions with no context that are way too broad. Questions like "AMD or Intel?" or "AMD or Nvidia" and also stuff like "HP or Dell laptop?"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I hate people who can't do their own legwork. Sure I know the answer but I'm not your own personal google, do some research on your own.

Also "will it bottleneck" is infuriating, I hate the youtubers who made this shit a buzzword.

2 hours ago, VAkena said:

Can I have permission to share that pic with some of my techie friends on Facebook? 

Yeah sure :D

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

15 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

'Will my PCIe x16 3.0 graphics card fit into my (modern) motherboard?'

That's not necessarily such a stupid question if they were old enough to experience the shift from PCI to AGP, or AGP to PCIe, or considering the different type of USB 3.1 connectors. It's not like DDR4, DDR3 and DDR2 are compatible either.

1 minute ago, Jovidah said:

That's not necessarily such a stupid question if they were old enough to experience the shift from PCI to AGP, or AGP to PCIe, or considering the different type of USB 3.1 connectors. It's not like DDR4, DDR3 and DDR2 are compatible either.

Actually it is... if one feels the need to ask such a question, especially taking age into account, then they have obviously failed to conduct sufficient research and therefore should have no business trying to build.

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

Actually it is... if one feels the need to ask such a question, especially taking age into account, then they have obviously failed to conduct sufficient research and therefore should have no business trying to build.

Isn't the whole point of asking the question that they're doing the research? While I agree you can wonder whether any noob should really be building their own PC, you have to admit that a lot of the things we here consider 'common sense' are neither intuitive, logical or necessarily very consistent. 

The bloody 'future' questions that we have absolutely no clue about.

'Kaby Lake or Zen?'.... 'Pascal or Vega?'....'How long will a ________ last me?'

Jesus Christ. Use some common sense people.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, Jovidah said:

Isn't the whole point of asking the question that they're doing the research? While I agree you can wonder whether any noob should really be building their own PC, you have to admit that a lot of the things we here consider 'common sense' are neither intuitive, logical or necessarily very consistent. 

The connection specifications are very clear and obvious when selecting these components.

As being the only person in my family who knows anything about computers... I don't get annoyed by these questions. It's when I'm at work and acting head of the I.T department asks me "What tape drive are you talking about ?" when I call and as him to kindly put in a tape so tonight's back up can run. Like that shit makes my blood boil.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)