Favorite piece of tech you've ever owned

What was the most awesome and reliable device you've ever owned? I was reminiscing about my original Moto X today, which had battery life like it was brand new, all the right extra features added on to Android and was just the perfect size, when I..well... dropped it into the ocean last year. I'd probably still be using it if I still had it, though I do love my Nexus 6P. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

My old Super Nintendo.  That thing survived a flood and still worked fine!  So many good memories playing with that thing.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

old school motorola l2 and old school hp pavilion dv1000. still going strong to this day as my daily driver 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

My Logitech MX518. It's seriously the best mice ever made. I love it way too much lol <3

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Probably my GTX 480. It's my baby. <3

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

My old Super Nintendo.  That thing survived a flood and still worked fine!  So many good memories playing with that thing.

I was just about to say my Nintendo 64. The things were so simple that it's hard to break them.

My old Blackberry Playbook, got it on sale back then for less than $115 CAD, was compatible with lots of Android apps (sideload and all) and even though it was laggy, it lasted longer than any other tablets I got after that one! (was stolen when someone broke into the house).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

The things were so simple that it's hard to break them.

Heh, I wasn't even alive when electronics were like that...

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Heh, I wasn't even alive when electronics were like that...

What did you grow up playing on?

I'll probably say my Motorola Cliq 2.

Had a decently large developer community, got the phone running Froyo, Gingerbread, ICS and even Jelly Bean. 

Did most of my high school essay the morning it was due and usually got a very high grade for it. This was only possible due to the QWERTY keyboard it had....loved that thing.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

(was stolen when someone broke into the house).

That sucks. I guess the real tragedies normally happen to good electronics similar to my Moto X. Which I guess makes sense because a more normal device would have a larger chance of just outright ceasing to work before it could be tragically lost xD

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

That sucks.

it did, they stole a whole bunch of stuff including some of my wife's heirloom.

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I guess the real tragedies normally happen to good electronics similar to my Moto X. Which I guess makes sense because a more normal device would have a larger chance of just outright ceasing to work before it could be tragically lost xD

xD had tons of electronics that I "killed" ... I have butterfingers and I drop my devices all the time (the Playbook had a few marks but the screen never cracked, not like my other tablets and point-and-shoot cameras! xD). Thank God for all those tough phone case that are available now, those are life savers for me!!!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Game Boy Pocket. Introvert's best friend anytime and anywhere. Except once the lights are off.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

As wild as it could be, PowerPC era Macs have been the most reliable in long-term usage.  My old 12" PowerBook G4 still chugs along for batch processing tasks, everything newer on the ITX scale I've tried to replace it with has either failed or stability hell from sustained load...

I've gone through several ITX motherboards until I threw the towel in, didn't matter if I stuck with a Celeron or Pentium the boards would slowly fail from USB chipset or onboard NIC.  Only ITX board that never failed was a lowly Intel Classic Series Atom 230 board but the PCI GeForce 610 died so it just sits collecting dust, reason why my Linux box was built with the Skylake platform as it provides more flexibility.  I did upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for laughs, amazingly less CPU/RAM usage helped the Atom O.o:oo.O

First is probably my iPod touch 5G. It's been 4 years and hasn't skipped a beat. I use it every single day without a case and the hardware is still near flawless, save for a couple of hairline scratches near the headphone jack from the times I missed plugging in my headphones in the dark. Another is my Lime Green PS Vita, because I love the library of games on it, the PS4 remote play, and that I generally have a soft spot for it :)

Of course, my main PC as well, which I've consistently and incrementally upgraded since I bought it as a big box tower back in 2007.

2 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

First is probably my iPod touch 5G. It's been 4 years and hasn't skipped a beat. I use it every single day without a case and the hardware is still near flawless, save for a couple of hairline scratches near the headphone jack from the times I missed plugging in my headphones in the dark. Another is my Lime Green PS Vita, because I love the library of games on it, the PS4 remote play, and that I generally have a soft spot for it :)

Of course, my main PC as well, which I've consistently and incrementally upgraded since I bought it as a big box tower back in 2007.

I had an IPod Touch 4G back in the day as well, didn't last quite this long (battery gave out a couple years ago), but I did love the thing. Haven't been able to find another Apple product I don't hate since, though...

I may go with my old Nokia N70. It costed a fortune, but it was worth it. 

Or perhaps original Gameboy, still have it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I had an IPod Touch 4G back in the day as well, didn't last quite this long (battery gave out a couple years ago), but I did love the thing. Haven't been able to find another Apple product I don't hate since, though...

Yeah, I was surprised at the longevity of it too. I previously had a 2G iPod touch, which had a broken sleep button and headphone jack about 3 years in. The iPod is the only Apple product I actually like, not a fan of the rest. I tried using an iPhone for a month and didn't like it, and used to borrowed Macbooks from the library back in university pretty often and didn't really like it.

My Game Boy Advance or, more specifically, my collection of them. To this day, it is my favorite gaming console. I bought a mini-SD flash cartridge for it so I don't need to carry around several game cartridges anymore, and that thing is a friggin' hoot. Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Doom 2, Mario Kart, Pokemon... Good times. Here's my whole collection below. I call it my Nintendrawer, and despite me owning an excessive amount of GBA's (seven of them), there's a reason for each one being in there. I didn't just go buy them!

The big, purple GBA was my first. I got it for my seventh birthday the year it released. Like a year or two later, my parents got me the silver SP on the left hand side. Maybe another year later, I was still a stupid kid and dropped it, which broke the L trigger, so I got the black SP for my birthday that year. I later fixed the silver one when I was a little older and smarter. After my sister was bored with hers, she gave me the blue SP, so that's how I got that one.

Fast forward to 2014, I found out that there were true backlit LCD GBA SP's that basically used the DS Lite display, and I found rebuilt/refurbished ones on Ebay that have been cleaned up to be like-new, so I bought a white one. It really was like-new. There wasn't a scratch on it anywhere, the battery held a full day's charge, and the display was vibrant. A huge upgrade over my front-lit SP's of old.

When I was visiting my mother the following February, she took my coat, which held the white GBA, and washed it without asking me, so that's why there's a second white one. The first was destroyed in the washing machine and dryer. It still works, but the display looks worse than my future.

Then there's the Game Boy Micro, which was a Christmas present from my father last year. Couldn't have asked for anything else. I friggin' love these things. Like I said, it's my favorite console.

The Micro is probably my favorite.

IMG_1362.JPG

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Ahh. This answer really brings me back to when i was a kid. My awesome piece of tech was my old playstation 1. This thing literally introduced me to the world of games. Before that when ever someone said "wanna come over and play a game", i've always thought they meant a board game. Ahhh good times :)