What was your first computer?

xserd

Fact: first time I saw an Amiga I about shit myself. My eyeballs fell out and I got that queasy-jealous gunna barf everywhere feeling. Anyone else remember and/or experienced that childhood tech-sickness? Happened also when I (2600) went and played my friends' intellivision.

I could see a 20k TV Tomorrow, go "hmmmm", tap the panel once and go get tacos

@[member=Cupitor]

It's a feeling that you never forget.  I remember being awestruck by it.  I will never forget the day/feeling when my mom came home and surprised me with it.  I was in a state of grace.  I couldn't believe she spent that much money for me and it wasn't even my birthday.

to this very day, I still play a few Amiga games here and there for nostalgic reasons....all emulated of course  ;)

My two all time favorite games were:  Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon/ Defenders of the Crown followed closely by Test Drive and Shadow of the Beast.

I couldn't even fathom what the Amiga had to offer in terms of colors, graphic resolution and sound.

I remember the Amiga was the only computer at that time that could produce 4096 colors using a technique called H.A.M aka Hold and Modify but only in 320x400 resolution but later on, they were able achieve the same in its maximum res @ 640x400..LOL!!...not even full VGA

First computer was given to me by mine Grandpa. It was an iMac G3 1998:

237672_large.jpg

I have literally no idea where this thing as now, I wish I still had it.

haha! I 100% percent forgot about cinemaware(?). Vivid memory...walking into Babbages..."hmmm, look a new game. Defenders of the Crown". I pick up the box to check out the bac...OMG WTF??? Those graphics are fake. Yep. I didn't see see that.

That was the first game I saw that did have 4096 colors at once. I (even) remember a princess-characters' face on the box. It looked like a painting. I remember H.A.M...the same game devs, I think made a cinema-three stooges game too. Test drive...ahh yep. Here's a burn which may help other posters understand how monumental the Amigas were. I saved up the $ and bought Def of the crown and had test drive as well. My (cough) epic build had an epic full-length CGA card. 320x200 with 4 colors at once. Two palettes- test drive was Puke purple, something blue, white and black. The other was green, yellow, red and black. DOTC looked like 4 bits-a-puke. I didn't know anyone who had an Amiga but I spent many Saturdays at the 1 place in town that sold them. Apple was crap back then, the PC, er international business machine was just as bad. The Atari 800 pictured above was way ahead of the others, until the c-64/128 showed up,

The sound on the Amiga too. It was a freak anomaly.

One thing that was good about having a 1 sound at a time/4 colors at once 40lb 8086-8088 PC...was this: there were great games out, the stuff from SSI, the actual small dev games, made by a little company called "Electronic Arts", Epyx, Broaderbund, and my all time favorite, the original Origin/Rich Garret, the fat man.,,the game-devs which were had imo, much more talent then the Car-Macky coders.

Doom was a "game" changer- no doubt. That was the first (followed by many years of nothing) game I showed to a girl (9th grade) that not only played it but was into it enough, she'd show up during the witching hour to play I had..,a sound blaster 16.,,and many long chords that hooked up to a rock-solid 1 ton Marantz tuner and some high end infinity speakers, back before they went into the consumer stuff. Tweeters+mids were e-static design, the wood was stained oak, they were 5'+ tall and weighted 80 lbs each.

That was the equivalent now a days of a 780Ti with a top tier sound card /w the ultra sound set up. Also 320x200 VGA. Was fun stuff.

81-86 were my hard core gaming years,

Come home from school (3-4 ish). Grab some pizza rolls o.,.load up Ultima (IMO, Ultima V was/is the hi-mark for all RPG/Fantasy games. Anyway, my flag would begin yelling around 10pm. Things went ugly around 12. That's a full time job!

the mind gave zero shits concerning the graphics. The mind was able to focus on the story, the issues...no health packs and well. I don't know what goes on with the new battle-duty games. I bought call o duty and returned it the next day. Made me dose off. Half life? That was a good one.

Anyone remember planescape-torment? much of the content in the game dealt with concepts 4th philosophy students would have problems understanding...

Consequently soon after, a short lived renaissance in gaming popped up. I think..,the story-driven guys of Baulders Gate fame did p-scape. There was a group of 20-ish game dudes..,some were Black Isle, some were from the Kotor 1 (not obsidian) team, a few from fallout 1.,,and bioware dudes.

Fallout 1 was amazing. Bio-infinite was somewhat related , but looked "made for TV".

Kotor 1, which sounded terrible was another AAA+ game. After that (by this time I was living in hamburg, Japan doing things 100% non-techy,

I gotta say I was really blown away by mass effect 1. That was the last game I played. I played the damn think twice!

If there are any games now (as in 2009-2014) which have more than "compelling" story-arc, A genuine "whoa. I laughed, I cried I felt the narrative..,.big time".

please name any titles.

I have 2x 1200x1920 monitors and an MSI lighting (780) which OCs to ref TI specs.

some old compaq laptop.  Don't even remember the name,

Come visit us at ronincomputers.com! :ph34r:

man.. my personally owned first computer? was my very first gaming rig my cousin helped me build... it had a frosted dragon plexiglass window..and thats about all i could tell you.. but the first pc i used was an old compaq desktop running windows 98. i was 3 when that pc came out so again, no clue what its "specs" were. i know how it died! lightning..

what was your first pc that you ever got? and was it a laptop or a desktop?

Mine was a compaq cq62 with 2 gigs of ram and a single core amd cpu.

AMD Duron 1400mHz 256mb of ram and a 40gb hard drive with windows 95, was a monster, then I had xp on it later was even more monstrous, had a gpu too, nvidia something.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

My own "personal" laptop was a Dell Inspiron Mini 10z...

PROCESSOR, N270, 1.6, 512KB, DMV, C0

LABEL, CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY, WINDOWS XP HOME, LOW COST, V#2008

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 1G, 800, 128X64, 8, 200, 1GBIT

HARD DRIVE, 160GB, S2, 5.4K, 2.5, SGT-WYATT

It was shit/ :P I got it for $199 with a promotion that when you buy a XPS desktop, you can buy the mini for $199... 

This was when I was 10 :P

I don't remember the first computer my family had though. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Intel 486DX2 66MHz

4MB RAM

343MB Conner HDD

Some SVGA graphics card with a Tseng Labs chip (can't remember the exact one, might have been a 5626 or something like that) and 512kb VRAM

14" monitor

3,5" floppy drive

I got this computer at christmas 1993, it was quite high end at the time.

isn't that like the 4th of those topics

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

Intel Pentium 4 520 Prescott, 512Mb DDR400 Single Channel, 80Gb IDE HDD, Intel D101GGC, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics. Back in like 2006-2007

Spoiler

I don't exactly remember the specs of my first few computers i had in the 90's.

My first computer that i ever built. 

Athlon XP 1700+

Radeon 9600XT

256mb of ram

Boss ass 24 inch crt. Called her big bertha. She didn't move.

This was around x-mas time in 2003. I bought the cpu used from a friend.

I though this topic would be fun... what was the specs in your pc and when did you build it (optional)

Mine was:

CPU: pentium core 2 duo

Mobo: do not know

RAM: 2gb and i do not know the brand

Power supply: 380 watt antec 

HHD: 250 gb western Digital

Gpu: i don't know but it had one

Case: dell case 

Dvd Drive: dell something

Thanks! :D it wasn't to good but I got all the parts for free!

SHARE Yours!

Builded

Pentium D core 2 duo

aztec power supply

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

We have had this thread about 6 times now in 3 weeks

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Geforce 7900 GTX

4GB Kingston Ram

AMD Phenom II 940 BE

Geforce GTX 260GS

4GB Mushkin Blackline

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

• CPU

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz

• Motherboard

ASUS Z87 Pro

RAM

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB @ 1866MHz

GPU

2 x EVGA Superclocked ACX GeForce GTX 780 Ti in SLI

Case

Corsair Carbide 300R

Storage

Crucial M500 240GB SSD & Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD

PSU

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2

Display(s)

ACER T232HL bmidz

Cooling

Corsair H100i

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

my first build is my current build. look at my signature.

i guess that's what happens when you were born in the late 90's...

i am old enough to remember my parents having dial-up internet and an old gateway pc that was as slow as molasses. They hated that thing.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1