Apple in Talks to Acquire Luxury Carmaker and Formula One Team McLaren

CaliJL

Apple has approached British luxury carmaker and Formula One team McLaren about a potential acquisition, likely to be valued at between $1.3 billion and $1.9 billion, according to Financial Times.

Apple is reportedly considering a full takeover of McLaren, or a strategic investment in the company, likely in an effort to bolster its widely rumored automotive project. Apple is said to be interested in McLaren's automotive-related technology, engineering prowess, and patent portfolio.

The California technology group, which has been working on a self-driving electric vehicle for more than two years, is considering a full takeover of McLaren or a strategic investment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations who said talks started several months ago.

A tie-up with McLaren, whose expertise ranges from automotive engineering and on-board computer systems to novel chassis materials such as carbon fibre and aluminium, could accelerate Apple’s secretive automotive project. Apple and McLaren declined to comment.

McLaren, headquartered in Woking, Surrey, manufactures high-performance sports cars, including the P1 and F1 models commonly used for racing. The carmaker produced just 1,654 vehicles last year, some costing as much as $1 million apiece. McLaren has a Formula One team itself that competes under the name McLaren Honda, winning more F1 grand prix races than any other team since 1966.  mclaren.jpg

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/21/apple-mclaren-acquisition-talks/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0%2F523422ba-7ffd-11e6-8e50-8ec15fb462f4.html?ft_site=falcon&desktop=true

Update: McLaren has come out and denied the reports. Despite McLaren denials, the Financial Times is standing behind its reporting.

lol are they going to put the fuel port on their cars at the bottom like the mouse too?

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I don't see it happening.  I'd imagine that at 1.9 billion dollars, McLaren is probably undervalued when including their automotive business and F1 team.  And while McLaren does have many innovative ideas, they are hardly the powerhouse of self-driving tech.  I don't see how Apple could benefit from injection mold carbon fiber, or self-adjusting suspension when Mercedes, Honda, GM, and Company are all dumping billions into self driving tech alone.  Even a strategic investment sounds weird.  Hell... they don't even have a full electric car on the market... 

Wouldn't a partnership with BMW be a better idea?  At least they've got the "i" naming scheme down. 

If McLaren is being taken over for the sole purpose of an iCar... I weep for the once great company that gave us the F1 and P1.  At which point... I suppose Ferrari wins.  On the upside... at least... I can't see an upside here.  We lose a great car company. 

iCar incoming!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I feel like McLaren is worth more than that... And really, Apple can fuck off with that if true. Let McLaren do their own thing. They are doing a fantastic job as-is.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

makes sense if Apple was having issues with making a car that performs well. Apple has the staff to work on self driving cars but they don't have the staff to make a car that is comfortable and fast. 

In other words apple has the self driving tech but McLaren has a car platform that apple wants to put the self driving tech into

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Please no. McLaren are my favorite line of cars.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

15 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

makes sense if Apple was having issues with making a car that performs well. Apple has the staff to work on self driving cars but they don't have the staff to make a car that is comfortable and fast. 

In other words apple has the self driving tech but McLaren has a car platform that apple wants to put the self driving tech into

McLaren does not make comfortable cars. they make well engineered super/sport cars. they dont have experience in making mass market cars.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

They either let McLaren do their own thing, at which point I wonder what the reasoning behind the aquisition is unless McLaren makes more profit than I thought, or they do something completely different (e.g. a self driving Ferrari competitor) that nobody is going to want. Seriously, who would buy a supercar to have it drive itself? It's not like a Mercedes or something where the comfort of the ride comes before the performance - McLaren makes compromises to reach peak performance, as is expected of them.

Or they could turn them into Tesla, throwing away years of experience in a different market. Either way I don't see this going anywhere positive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

UPDATE: Despite McLaren denials, the Financial Times is standing behind its reporting

McLaren doesn't make good cars.  Bosses dads car is always in the shop getting warranty work done.

Bosses Lambo only went to the shop for service.

Apple could probably cure McLarens quality control issues though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

21 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

McLaren doesn't make good cars.  Bosses dads car is always in the shop getting warranty work done.

Bosses Lambo only went to the shop for service.

Apple could probably cure McLarens quality control issues though.

Lambo's only got good (reliable) after audi bought them. But supercars are not made to be driven every day.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

:/ Yet another British business lost to foreign acquisition...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

I don't see it happening.  I'd imagine that at 1.9 billion dollars, McLaren is probably undervalued when including their automotive business and F1 team.  And while McLaren does have many innovative ideas, they are hardly the powerhouse of self-driving tech.  I don't see how Apple could benefit from injection mold carbon fiber, or self-adjusting suspension when Mercedes, Honda, GM, and Company are all dumping billions into self driving tech alone.  Even a strategic investment sounds weird.  Hell... they don't even have a full electric car on the market... 

Wouldn't a partnership with BMW be a better idea?  At least they've got the "i" naming scheme down. 

If McLaren is being taken over for the sole purpose of an iCar... I weep for the once great company that gave us the F1 and P1.  At which point... I suppose Ferrari wins.  On the upside... at least... I can't see an upside here.  We lose a great car company. 

they are doing it to acquire the R&D division of mclaren. to create a car. McLaren is not going to stop production on cars if apple takes them over. McLaren will still produce the awesome hypercars but they will put some of the electric technology and composite research in the p1 and f1 racing team to work in the apple car. They are trying to compete with tesla. This also isn't necessarily a bad thing. McLaren will have a higher budget to create the hypercars.

Edit: just saw it was fake.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/