CX430 Suitable for an OC'ed i5 4690k and RX470?

JerichoN

Hi!

My future build Consists of a moderate 4.4 - 4.5Ghz OC with a reference RX470, Single HDD and SSD, with 3 case fans and 24gb of ram, (2x8gb and a salvaged 8gb stick)

Most PSU Calculators Show about 420W Usage, with some real benches showing 350W~ Usage.

Looking to see if anyone here has a better view or opinion.

No, a XFX TS 430Watt or a seasonic 430watt would be fine but the CX is pretty terrible in terms of quality :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

No, a XFX TS 430Watt or a seasonic 430watt would be fine but the CX is pretty terrible in terms of quality :D 

430W TS is often about the sort of price of CX units. That's my recommendation.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

No, it's not reliable enough. You can find a decent seasonic unit for not too much money, I suggest you go for that instead.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you can spent the extra money, get a seasonic.

Just don't get a cx430, it's bad.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

How is it terrible?

Its not terrible like rumors make it out to be, its a mediocre unit. its not a bomb, crap, etc. If you don't already have it I wouldn't buy it. I would get the new CXM series which consists of the 450/550/650 watt units and are actually fairly good and imo even better than a Seasonic S12II ir a M12II.

2 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

How is it terrible?

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If you can spent the extra money, get a seasonic.

Just don't get a cx430, it's bad.

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No, it's not reliable enough. You can find a decent seasonic unit for not too much money, I suggest you go for that instead.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I don't get whats so bad. Look at this reviw http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

It delevers the output power fine with little ripple, and is built fine. Its not gonna kill anything else.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't get whats so bad. Look at this reviw http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

It delevers the output power fine with little ripple, and is built fine. Its not gonna kill anything else.

10 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

How is it terrible?

1. Once your case ambient temp goes past 30-40C (can't remember exactly what temp), it halves it's output 

2. It's made using very bad capacitors and components (with it's only better capacitor used being only rated at 85C)

3. I've seen 2 CX PSUs blown now...a 600watt powering a 3770K/770 and another one blown from powering a i5 and 680

It's fine for i3 with a 750ti or something build but when you can get much better units for a little more or the same price, it's a no brainer :D 

13 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

I would get the new CXM series which consists of the 450/550/650 watt units and are actually fairly good and imo even better than a Seasonic S12II ir a M12II.

The new CXM PSUs are good, they are comparable to the lower end XFX (apart from the XT) and SS units (as in their bronze units) and with rebates/sales, they can often cost more or less the same so yes, they're good units but they aren't better (or worse). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Too many horror stories. There is a high chance of getting a faulty unit, and it's hard to tell wether it's faulty or not until it goes in flames.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

1. Once your case ambient temp goes past 30-40C (can't remember exactly what temp), it halves it's output 

2. It's made using very bad capacitors and components (with it's only better capacitor used being only rated at 85C)

3. I've seen 2 CX PSUs blown now...a 600watt powering a 3770K/770 and another one blown from powering a i5 and 680

It's fine for i3 with a 750ti or something build but when you can get much better units for a little more or the same price, it's a no brainer :D 

The new CXM PSUs are good, they are comparable to the lower end XFX (apart from the XT) and SS units (as in their bronze units) and with rebates/sales, they can often cost more or less the same so yes, they're good units but they aren't better (or worse). 

1. On that review, they got more than the rated output in a hot test chamber.

3. You haven't tested enough to get good number. Yould need to test thousands to gett a accurate number.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Too many horror stories. There is a high chance of getting a faulty unit, and it's hard to tell wether it's faulty or not until it goes in flames.

It not gonna blow up or kill your computer.

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There are horror stories about every part out there including PSU's like a Evga G2, if you go by horror stories you wouldn't be buying any part. There isn't a high chance of getting a faulty unit, that is just a myth based on nothing.

26 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

1. Source? Its rated to do only 30C at full load but you don't buy a CXM to run at full load. well hopefully,and it has zero problems going past 40C.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/6.html

2. Sure the caps aren't great but they definitely aren't bad. Bad would be like Diablotek.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/4.html

3. So? Your super small sample size isn't a final verdict on all CX PSU's and if they all was blowing up no one would be buying them if it has reviews consisting of it blowing up and I wouldn't be saying its not a bomb. Evga G2's and other high end PSU's have gone out before too.

31 minutes ago, vagabond139 said:

1. Source? Its rated to do only 30C at full load but you don't buy a CXM to run at full load. well hopefully,and it has zero problems going past 40C.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/6.html

2. Sure the caps aren't great but they definitely aren't bad. Bad would be like Diablotek.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/4.html

3. So? Your super small sample size isn't a final verdict on all CX PSU's and if they all was blowing up no one would be buying them if it has reviews consisting of it blowing up and I wouldn't be saying its not a bomb. Evga G2's and other high end PSU's have gone out before too.

The revision 2 CXs are not equivalent to the third gen or green CXM units which are superior. Older-style CXs were the ones with 30C tolerances and they'd restart when getting too hot. The worry with the CX430 as it can be sold under the wrong SKU and the buyer can be sold an inferior part. For OP's system a CX430M would probably be fine, however.

1 hour ago, JerichoN said:

Hi!

My future build Consists of a moderate 4.4 - 4.5Ghz OC with a reference RX470, Single HDD and SSD, with 3 case fans and 24gb of ram, (2x8gb and a salvaged 8gb stick)

Most PSU Calculators Show about 420W Usage, with some real benches showing 350W~ Usage.

Looking to see if anyone here has a better view or opinion.

Most calculators (all actually) are funny. A 470 uses very little power and you're definitely not consuming as much as a 6700k and two 970s in SLI with a bit of overclocking xD A CX430 will be fine for your system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||