Stop saying Windows 8 is bad

If you actually look at it objectively then Windows 8 is a pretty good OS, a worthy Windows 7 update.

You can't just look at the metro UI and go: OMG THIS SUCKS START BUTTON GONE, BOOOO WENDY TESTABURGER BOOOOOO

- It's faster, more fluid and stylish

- Has been benchmarked, runs games better than 7

- If you really don't like not having a Start button you can install ClassicShell (maybe add W7 skin) and go from there, that's what I did

Even today, my friend wanted to reinstall W7 from a cd from mine, turns out it didn't work, cd was corrupt or something.

So we tried Windows 8, it even fixed a not working USB port on his laptop! 

So, before you say anything, look at it objectively.

Don't get me, wrong, I still love 7, but 8 on my laptop has been a pleasure to work with.

So what is this.... an anti-rant?

I personally like windows 8 on mobile devices. Works great. I just don't find it's optimized for a mouse, that's all.

No thanks....

Its ok on mobile's/tablets but for desktops, erm, yeh, no, windows 7 is better (mouse use...)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

So what is this.... an anti-rant?

I personally like windows 8 on mobile devices. Works great. I just don't find it's optimized for a mouse, that's all.

True, the metro UI is better on touch screens. But still it isn't bad or anything for mouse.

True, the metro UI is better on touch screens. But still it isn't bad or anything for mouse.

In my opinion :P

just skip the modern UI on your desk top and use classic start or star is back. i have been using wind 8 on my desktop for a long time and i never missed win 7

So far, Windows 8 is really good. The only thing I won't use on Metro is the Internet Explorer tile, since it brings you to a touch-version of IE. My dad doesn't really like but I don't use things like My Documents and things that he uses in Windows 7.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Had my first encouter a while ago.

Hover the most near the top right to open a menu? Wtf is this? Did mickey mouse invent this idea?

Start screen idea is far better than old start menu imo. I'm waiting to see 8.1 because iirc you can right-click the desktop start button to get links to control panel etc

If you actually look at it objectively then Windows 8 is a pretty good OS, a worthy Windows 7 update.

You can't just look at the metro UI and go: OMG THIS SUCKS START BUTTON GONE, BOOOO WENDY TESTABURGER BOOOOOO

- If you really don't like not having a Start button you can install ClassicShell (maybe add W7 skin) and go from there, that's what I did

Even today, my friend wanted to reinstall W7 from a cd from mine, turns out it didn't work, cd was corrupt or something.

Don't get me, wrong, I still love 7, but 8 on my laptop has been a pleasure to work with.

Windows 8 is still flawed. The Modern UI is inefficient and unintuitive, the experience of using the OS is very inconsistent and there are still some irritating compatibility issues.

It is better than Windows 7 in some ways and worse in others. Whether or not it is a 'good' OS depends entirely on one's perspective and personal requirements from it.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Windows 8 is still flawed. The Modern UI is inefficient and unintuitive, the experience of using the OS is very inconsistent and there are still some irritating compatibility issues.

It is better than Windows 7 in some ways and worse in others. Whether or not it is a 'good' OS depends entirely on one's perspective and personal requirements from it.

That is what I ask of you, to look objectively. And you did.

Stop saying Windows 8 is bad

Good luck with that. :huh:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Windows 8 is great. I updated from Windows 7 and i loved the Metro UI. Start menu may look like its suitable for touch screen but have you tried? I actually find it better than Win7 imo. Performance wise, management wise, also direction wise(i can find stuff easier). Its more fluid, more user friendly (imo) i love windows 8 over Windows 7. This is based on my personal experience and also my opinion of it.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

I don't even mind the metro UI, the driver signature enforcement is the nazi piece of shit idea that makes Windows 8 useless to me, can't even get a simple gaming mouse (Func MS-3) to work permanently with the OS. Chucked the OS in the bin for that reason, and it's staying there.

Even when using the temporary 'advanced startup', disabling the enforcement every time I boot, the mouse will stop working after 3-6 hours randomly while I'm gaming.

Unacceptable, an OS designed to protect idiots from themselves and taking power use options away from power users. Other than that it's fine, mostly, but it's still completely useless to me.

If they in the future don't address this properly I will be going to Linux when Win 7 support is gone.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'd use it if not for the 2 windows 8 laptops I have to deal with on a daily basis being slower than cancer.

It has driver incompatibilities. As the people who use this aren't tech savvy I will add that windows 8 tends to run programs in the background that you may have forgotten about. I don't care for the UI as I always tweak my windows to look the way I want it, so that aint a big problem.

I can defend windows vista in the same way as it did what I wanted to do just fine, but the reality of the matter is I also had to tweak the heck out of it to get it that way.

Windows tries to install anything you plug into the usb port itself with a MAJOR display popping up moving at the speed of 1 micro millimeter per hour which you have to cancel for the actual device drivers to be able to detect the plugged in device.

It's not consumer friendly. Tech savvies have their way of dealing with things, but the people I work with are average users who don't know too much about the operating systems they use.

As for the benchmarks, you have seen the tech news about windows 8 benchmarks being deemed unreliable because of the clock system working off of BCLK right? another reason I don't like this OS as its time is inaccurate unless you stay on the internet 24/7 with time synchronization enabled.  

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

"Let me bash Modern UI again and ignore the fact that W8 is bascially W7." - Every W8 disliker in this thread.

You're clearly not a power user, nor an average user but more an average gamer. 

You have to tweak the shit out of the OS to get it working properly and read my above post. Driver signature crap.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

[sarcasm]Vista (non SP2) eats 8 for lunch...[end sarcasm]

Seriously people? Some people dont like new concept of the OS. Metro was mostly designed for touchscreens. Microsoft thought they will start a new era with Metro and like always they failed. 7 is still very good OS and people wont go over it to 8 because its newer. Ive never installed 8 on my PC due to i dont need it because 7 (at least my modified)has all features that i need. Cant say 8 is worse because i never tried it and CBA to do it anyways. One people will like it and one not - DEAL WITH IT.

Had same sh*t when i bought Z77 Stinger and people went "OMG WHY?"...

WITCHCRAFT!!!!

You have to tweak the shit out of the OS to get it working properly

Took me half a year to make proper modified copy of Windows 7 to suit my needs and yet it need few fixes ill be doing soon enough. 7 got soo much useless sh*t onboard. I was amazed on Vista files how less it has than 7...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I don't even mind the metro UI, the driver signature enforcement is the nazi piece of shit idea that makes Windows 8 useless to me, can't even get a simple gaming mouse (Func MS-3) to work permanently with the OS. Chucked the OS in the bin for that reason, and it's staying there.

Even when using the temporary 'advanced startup', disabling the enforcement every time I boot, the mouse will stop working after 3-6 hours randomly while I'm gaming.

Unacceptable, an OS designed to protect idiots from themselves and taking power use options away from power users. Other than that it's fine, mostly, but it's still completely useless to me.

If they in the future don't address this properly I will be going to Linux when Win 7 support is gone.

Personally I haven't noticed these issues, but I thank you for looking at it and not just having a bias for no good reason.

i agree with the guy i mean how hard is it to install a start menu

especially if you go to ninite.com and it installs it for you

i do admit somethings were added/removed to windows 8 were better off without the change but

hey its rocks balls

and besides the main reason why we all hate on things is because we hate change FACE IT bruv

I also use win 8 for my desktop. like it so far, and looking forward to 8.1. and i agree with kingzogan, win 8 is really good on mobile devices, (especially ones with touch screen) i think thats where win 8 is just the best. dont get me wrong, win 8 is also great on desktop, but maybe not very optimized for mouse, (althought its not THAT much of a deal for me anyway). so i guess im not a power user, so i dont "feel" the the bugs as much, so its not a problem for me. and i can understand Cryptonite, but thats for the hardcore power user, not everybody are power users, it think the majority is more averageish, and the improvments of win 8 is something that can impact them more than the drawbacks.  and hey, we are all different, right? some people find a change unnecessary etc. etc. then stay win win 7, then its no point for an oppgrade, but for us that want a refreshment, something new to look at and support for the newest technologies etc then win 8 is nice, and i like the refreshment of the OS we all know and love, windows 7. ;)

Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz |--| Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 |--| 16GB Crucial BalisitX Elite @ 1600MHz |--| Sapphire + Gigabyte HD 7990 in Quad CrossfireX @ 1,100MHz |--| Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD |--|  2x Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB HDDs in Raid0 |--| CoolerMaster V1200 Platinum |--| Corsair Obsidian 750D

"There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking

it's so basic even a child can use it.

Soo basicly all little troll kids are on 8?

Bigger icons are that REALLY needed...

8 got some 7 features upgraded and some new added. Yet people still dont want to move to 8 because NOT they dont like it or it is bad, but just they dont find NEED to do it...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Windows 8 is bad... baddass.  

Them nay sayers haven't tried win 8 on big touchscreen on high performance desktop.

My Rigs (past and present)

The driver signature thing is barely a problem and is bypassed through a simple reboot

Holy shit, that is the most delusional and insane justification I've seen for any software - I run *servers* off my machine, you think I'll happily suck it up and stick it out with having to reboot every 8 hours on my computer? Holy balls, that is some twisted logic. Driver signature enforcement is _unacceptable_ in it's current form, no ifs ands or buts.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Windows 8 is bad

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299