Stop saying Windows 8 is bad

I received a copy of Windows 8.1 RTM before the launch and I must say, It really is a WORTHY upgrade from Windows 7!

The start button is back there (For those Windows 8 Ranters) and the Metro UI is actually quite nice! Scrolling through with my mice's scroll wheel is very smooth.

I actually installed it during the Battlefield 4 Beta and I actually received A WHOLE LOT LESS stutter and received a more fluid, but not perfect, gameplay (because it was still in beta).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

Ignorance is a bless.

If you don't like Metro/Modern UI, well, don't use it. Currently I am running Windows 8.1 (And before that, Win 8.0) and I never see/use the Modern UI.. I boot directly to the  desktop thanks to Start8 (Stardock.com).

Everything runs fast and stable. The only problems I have encountered has been with Steelseries Engine and Origin which is (was?) broken in Windows 8.1.

Objectively, it's not ready for the masses. The touch-interface does wonders for the usability. Sure, it works with mouse and keyboard to an extent, but a touchscreen is worlds apart. 

The fact that people say "Just install startisback" goes to show just how much that's true: Microsoft should have left both the start menu in, as well as added Metro. Give both options, let the user decide. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Forget start menus and UI's for a moment , "Apps" and "programs" being two different things is what kills windows 8.

I'd use it if not for the 2 windows 8 laptops I have to deal with on a daily basis being slower than cancer.

It has driver incompatibilities. As the people who use this aren't tech savvy I will add that windows 8 tends to run programs in the background that you may have forgotten about. I don't care for the UI as I always tweak my windows to look the way I want it, so that aint a big problem.

I can defend windows vista in the same way as it did what I wanted to do just fine, but the reality of the matter is I also had to tweak the heck out of it to get it that way.

Windows tries to install anything you plug into the usb port itself with a MAJOR display popping up moving at the speed of 1 micro millimeter per hour which you have to cancel for the actual device drivers to be able to detect the plugged in device.

It's not consumer friendly. Tech savvies have their way of dealing with things, but the people I work with are average users who don't know too much about the operating systems they use.

As for the benchmarks, you have seen the tech news about windows 8 benchmarks being deemed unreliable because of the clock system working off of BCLK right? another reason I don't like this OS as its time is inaccurate unless you stay on the internet 24/7 with time synchronization enabled.  

I am a power user. I overclock, tweak, modify, execute stuff through command prompt exclusively, etc. The driver signature thing is barely a problem and is bypassed through a simple reboot. Besides, it's a simple and effective layer of security that occasionally block novices from using legacy devices. I think it's a risk worth taking because a lot of people will install malware unknowingly. ("Free Windows 8 Drivers Nvidia AMD Intel Free Download", etc.). 

As for Modern UI, it's easier to use. Icons are massive and it's so basic even a child can use it. My mum found it to be easier to use compared to the old start menu once she knew how to access it. It's like learning how to ride a bike. It's hard to forget that you access it through the corner / Windows button. Microsoft made Windows 8 to be touch-screen friendly, but at the same time have it stick to it's Windows roots. They did a perfect job, and people are complaining because of it. 

If you're going to blame someone for MS dumbing down the OS, blame technologically inept people. MS only has two hands and they can't jack off everyone at the same time.

I actually stated that the non tech savvy people have a harder time with windows 8 than they had with windows 7, not on the UI side as I mentioned that doesn't bother me, please read my posts before going on about dumbing down the OS as I didn't say that that was my concern, in fact I stated that the I don't care about the UI.

if you think executing stuff through cmd prompt makes you a power user... most gamers who have been doing pc gaming for more than a few years have to know how to do this in order to fix some buggy games / bypass some stuff, I didn't call you non tech savvy, I called you a non power user. Do you  go into the windows registry and edit stuff? do you edit windows files? Do you write code to override certain criteria? Do you run linux as a secondary OS or use other means to unlock windows security features to be able to tweak some locked files?

My problem is that devices are incompatible and require someone tech savvy to override this, having to reboot to fix a problem isn't something the average user wants to do.

you probably do all the installations for your mother and since you know how to bypass the basics it feels easy, but give a windows 8 pc to someone oblivious to tech and see how it goes without them receiving any help. it's horror and they wouldn't even know that a mere restart "fixes" the issue.

Aside from that you also ignored my statement about the background programs running, yes I get the new feature for us that know how to use it you can see the processes a lot better, but again average users don't know this and the OS has a lot of breaking points. start menu used 90% cpu usage on a colleagues computer, how messed up is that? The few windows 8 PCs around here are the slowest performing computers of all because they are being used by novices.

about M$hit only having 2 hands and unable to jack everyone off at the same time ( I don't like this kind of anology but fine) They are a multi billion dollar company with thousands of workers. They have more than enough hands to Jack off the majority of people, but instead they use 20% of their staff to please the consumer while using the other 80% to milk the consumers like cows. Just look at what they tried to pull with the xbox one lol that backfired completely.

I received a copy of Windows 8.1 RTM before the launch and I must say, It really is a WORTHY upgrade from Windows 7!

The start button is back there (For those Windows 8 Ranters) and the Metro UI is actually quite nice! Scrolling through with my mice's scroll wheel is very smooth.

I actually installed it during the Battlefield 4 Beta and I actually received A WHOLE LOT LESS stutter and received a more fluid, but not perfect, gameplay (because it was still in beta).

That's if scrolling with your mouse actually works.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Windows 8 is still flawed. The Modern UI is inefficient and unintuitive, the experience of using the OS is very inconsistent and there are still some irritating compatibility issues.

It is better than Windows 7 in some ways and worse in others. Whether or not it is a 'good' OS depends entirely on one's perspective and personal requirements from it.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Win8.

I don't hate it, but feel Win8 was too obsessed with touch and for a desktop, that's a bit awkward for some people.

Oh look it is this thread again, shock horror people are divided on something that is personal preferance.

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 8 is perfect for me, but my installation is heavily tweaked and all of the mickey mouse metro stuff, including hot corners, charms, start screen, etc., is disabled. For me, once I removed all of the tablet crap and restored the basic desktop functionality (i.e. start menu) the OS has been even more stable than 7

• 1 month later...