Leaked Geekbench Results: AMD Zen Performance Extrapolated

i_build_nanosuits

Ryan Shrout at PCperspective has worked some numbers from the recently leaked Geekbench benchmark results of an engineering sample AMD Zen processor.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Leaked-Geekbench-Results-AMD-Zen-Performance-Extrapolated

He compared the AMD CPU running at 1.44ghz to an ivy-bridge xeon (3.6ghz) by scalling the performance linear with clockspeed, extrapolating then the performance of what the AMD chip could potentially bring if it was clocked at 3.6ghz...results? Ryan Shrout says:

'' if these results are at all indicative of what AMD Zen will be in the next 4 months, then it will be ~70-80% of the IPC of Ivy Bridge. ''

graph1.png

graph2.png

I certainly hope AMD ZEN core will perform A LOT better than that...maybe this engineering sample is one of the new AM4 APU's based on excavator and NOT a ZEN core based part?

So, what you guys think?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

What do I think? Hype train is gonna get derailed real fast.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

For some reason, today AMD stocks tanked a bit. Is this because of the 1.02 billion stuff or because of this article based on almost nothing?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Just now, Sakkura said:

This is so incredibly speculative that there's really no point.

Well...extrapolating performance numbers based on linear clockspeed increase is fairly reasonable thing to do...usually performance doesn't scale 1:1 with clockspeed but it's usually pretty close...IMHO the real question here is not wheter the methodology is correct here, but rather is that ''engineering sample AMD Zen processor'' really is based on the Zen Core...cause from the numbers IMHO this looks like an excavator core at work more than anything else.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

Well...extrapolating performance numbers based on linear clockspeed increase is fairly reasonable thing to do...usually performance doesn't scale 1:1 with clockspeed but it's usually pretty close...IMHO the real question here is not wheter the methodology is correct here, but rather is that ''engineering sample AMD Zen processor'' really is based on the Zen Core...cause from the numbers IMHO this looks like an excavator core at work more than anything else.

That is an A0 engineering sample with crippled clocks and ram speed. It shouldn't even be considered

Well, we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves on release.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 minute ago, Agost said:

That is an A0 engineering sample with crippled clocks and ram speed. It shouldn't even be considered

??? I wouldn't call 1.44 that super crippled considering the max TDP is only 180W.

Also, the memory bandwidth is server standard 2133 on 4 channels. It's exactly what it will be at launch.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Insert Grain of salt 

we need more salt.

download.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

??? I wouldn't call 1.44 that super crippled considering the max TDP is only 180W.

Also, the memory bandwidth is server standard 2133 on 4 channels. It's exactly what it will be at launch.

So what about that 7.75GB/s memory bandwidth multithreaded? That seems kinda off if you ask me

Just now, Agost said:

So what about that 7.75GB/s memory bandwidth multithreaded? That seems kinda off if you ask me

Someone didn't read the final result.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I think it is much more reasonable to do as a user in this forum did, namely, downclocking a comparison CPU to the same frequency. As AMD did when releasing their official IPC statement. Not perfect, but much better than extrapolation. Since you don't have a Zen, you want to leave the Zen numbers at what they are, and then play around with a CPU you do have, and can control and adjust at will, to make a meaningful comparison.

Just now, Agost said:

I'm talking about the geekbench results http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/105227

Moreover, where did you read 2133 MHz RAM speed?

graph2.png

Ivy Bridge DDR3 support could be 1600 or 1866 in server applications.

2133/1600 = 1.333125

899 * 1.333125 = 1198.479375

Given imperfect scaling because of page swapping, multiply by 4x and you get a 10% efficiency shave and there's your bandwidth score.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think it is much more reasonable to do as a user in this forum did, namely, downclocking a comparison CPU to the same frequency. As AMD did when releasing their official IPC statement. Not perfect, but much better than extrapolation. Since you don't have a Zen, you want to leave the Zen numbers at what they are, and then play around with a CPU you do have, and can control and adjust at will, to make a meaningful comparison.

that would be interesting to see...i might get on it tonight when i'm back from work...i can provide results for haswell at 1.44ghz and compare it to this...but in all honesty...Ryan gave AMD a chance there by doing the 1:1 scale with clockspeed...in real world, performance doesn't scale linear with clockspeed...it's usually lower than 1:1...and the more you increase clocks, the further from 1:1 you get.

Well, uhhh, this isn't good news, especially since I thought that Zen was supposed to be Low Clock Speeds (3.2 to 3.8GHz), but high IPC. Let's hope for some other leaked benchmarks that paint a better picture for AMD

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 minute ago, LucidMew said:

Well, uhhh, this isn't good news, especially since I thought that Zen was supposed to be Low Clock Speeds (3.2 to 3.8GHz), but high IPC. Let's hope for some other leaked benchmarks that paint a better picture for AMD

You consider 3.2 LOW for a 32-core chip?! I know power scales quadratically with clock speed but good God man!

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

You consider 3.2 LOW for a 32-core chip?! I know power scales quadratically with clock speed but good God man!

I mean the high end mainstream chip that's supposed to compete with 4790K to 6700K and 7700K. The unified platform of Zen means that there's the same IPC on servers as there is on desktop. and IPC for IPC, this leaked zen loses against Ivy

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

graph2.png

Ivy Bridge DDR3 support could be 1600 or 1866 in server applications.

2133/1600 = 1.333125

899 * 1.333125 = 1198.479375

Given imperfect scaling because of page swapping, multiply by 4x and you get a 10% efficiency shave and there's your bandwidth score.

Again, I'm talking about direct geekbench results. Even a 980X has more bandwidth than that, I'd say these are quite strange results and I wouldn't consider them to approximate Zen performance

Just now, LucidMew said:

I mean the high end mainstream chip that's supposed to compete with 4790K to 6700K and 7700K. The unified platform of Zen means that there's the same IPC on servers as there is on desktop. and IPC for IPC, this leaked zen loses against Ivy

You expect 3.8GHz on 8 cores in a 95W TDP with Intel's level of performance?! Even IBM's Power 8 can't do that, and that's a RISC architecture!