Iphone 7 may be able to record UHD at 60fps [FALSE RUMOR]

As much as i hate iphones, yes i am an android fanboy, this is very interesting. the only question that is left is whether the storage will be fast enough to handle recording 4k at 60fps. 

The information claims that iPhone 7 will be able to record 4K videos at 60FPS. While cameras that are able to record 4K videos at 30FPS are quite widespread, there is no smartphone in the world right now that can record UHD videos at 60FPS, so it will definitely be another milestone for Apple if it ends up being true.

report also states that the feature is not going to be limited to iPhone 7 Plus, which is expected to feature a dual-camera, but it is also going to be present on the 4.7-inch handset that’s going to be announced alongside its phablet counterpart.

if this source turns out to be true, the smaller handset users may not be missing out on any camera functionality, unlike previous generations where the plus editions got additional features such as OIS.

what is your take on this? would this move you to consider the iphone 7?

Source: http://wccftech.com/iphone-7-4k-video-recording-high-frames/ 

EDIT: with the iPhone 7 being launched,  there is no 60fps 4k, Only 30fps 4k

Edited by JohnnyCorporalTech
Rumor turned out to be false

Storage be fast enough? Doesn't the 6s have some of the fastest if not the fastest storage?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

No. iPhone never had options for micro sd slot. What if you record a lot. 128GB will be enough? You can't swap storage. 

A similar phone with options for micro sd slot allow you to record and then when the storage gets full you can swap for another one.

I mean 4K 60fps is very very big

3 minutes ago, JohnnyCorporalTech said:

the only question that is left is whether the storage will be fast enough to handle recording 4k at 60fps. 

iPhone uses NVMe, so yes, the storage will be fast enough. The question is, will capacity be enough?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Storage be fast enough? Doesn't the 6s have some of the fastest if not the fastest storage?

Its also going to be compressed to probably around 150mbit, so only 20MiB/s write, not much.

And what about the minuscule, non expandable storage space the iPhone 7 will have? Since it will probably have a PCIe SSD of some sort for storage, I wouldn't be concerned about the writes....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Seeing how RED's mini mags start at 120gb for a dedicated 8k (uncompressed too i think?) video camera, I think Apple's offerings will be more than sufficient. What I'm wondering is how well the phone will handle heat as high resolution video recording is very intensive. 

First how are they going to do that and why would apple do that. Storage is the number one problem with iPhones and unless you have the 128Gb or Rumored 256Gb model this feature would be just a gimmick because you couldn't even record more than a few minutes before your storage was full. Lets say the new iPhone Seven uses the same iNand as the 6s then it would have about 160mb/s. Think about this to truly take a great looking 4k 60 Fps video it needs to be uncompressed and that would mean 12 x 3840 x 2160 x 60=5,971,968,000 bps=711 MB/s witch is way to high for the iPhone storage you would need something like nvme storage to record uncompressed. Lastly that dual core or maybe quad core Apple A10 probably cannot handle that kind of task anyway without draining the battery within half an hour.

They'll have 4k 60fps recording capabilities, but a screen that may not even be full HD...

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Yes, good luck filming in uhd 60fps on a device with 32gb of internal storage and no expandability options. 30 minutes and your phone is full, after that you need to connect it to another device to offload the video or wait 18 hours for it to upload to the cloud.

I don't understand the fuss about smartphone cameras, I'd use them in a pinch but in no other situation. Not when you can buy excellent dedicated cameras for a lot less than some of these phones. What are you even going to film with an iPhone that would benefit from uhd and 60fps (assuming the compression is acceptable, because if it looks like a youtube video they might as well not bother with 2160p)? It can't be used as an action cam, its battery, ergonomics and storage limitations make it unfit for filming your holidays and overall it just seems like snake oil. It's good that it's there I suppose, but given all the other shortcomings I'd still not even consider one.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I want to see how fast the storage is depleted on the base 32GB model recording at 4K 60FPS, assuming that the rumors are true.

Modified Raijintek Metis Mini-ITX Case Build:

Gigabyte Z170N-Wifi Motherboard  |  Intel i5-6600K 3.5 GHz CPU  |  16GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM  |  EVGA GTX 950 |  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD  | Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W  |  Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler  |  (3) Noctua NF-F12 Case Fans

more than 32GB and external storage for filming is a gimmick when you have icloud /s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's not much different than the legions of Android phones that have had 4K video recording despite carrying 16GB or 32GB of base storage.  4K recording won't be on by default; those who really care about it will either get more storage to accommodate the footage or limit it to special situations.

When the rumors have the middle- and upper-tiers carrying 128GB and 256GB of storage, I'm not particularly worried about space.

Ignoring the storage capacity limitations, what iPhone (or really, any smartphone) user actually needs 4K at 60fps? I'd say 99% of any photos or videos that I take on my phone ust stay on the phone. Some get uploaded to Instagram, but Instagram (Facebook, YouTube, and everything else as well) compresses the balls out of everything as it is, and the majority of views will be from a smartphone anyways. And then I'd be willing to bet the large majority of camera use is apps like Snap Chat, where the quality is doodoo for everything no matter what. 4K 60fps is cool, but for a smartphone it just doesn't make sense.

Of course it all depends on the video bit rate... :) 

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Urm, aren't there smartphones that can do this already?
Also yeah, storage speed won't be an issues.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yes, good luck filming in uhd 60fps on a device with 32gb of internal storage and no expandability options. 30 minutes and your phone is full, after that you need to connect it to another device to offload the video or wait 18 hours for it to upload to the cloud.

I don't understand the fuss about smartphone cameras, I'd use them in a pinch but in no other situation. Not when you can buy excellent dedicated cameras for a lot less than some of these phones. What are you even going to film with an iPhone that would benefit from uhd and 60fps (assuming the compression is acceptable, because if it looks like a youtube video they might as well not bother with 2160p)? It can't be used as an action cam, its battery, ergonomics and storage limitations make it unfit for filming your holidays and overall it just seems like snake oil. It's good that it's there I suppose, but given all the other shortcomings I'd still not even consider one.

I just use my phone for video, since it actually takes excellent 1080p 24fps videos, and 720p 60fps videos-plus its microphone is awesome as well. Still photos however are done using the DSLR camera that my Grandmother replaced-its been all over the world and takes photos far better than my previous 10 & 7.2MP cameras.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Super excited if this is true

im gonna get the biggest top end model anyway 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

I don't understand the fuss about smartphone cameras, I'd use them in a pinch but in no other situation. Not when you can buy excellent dedicated cameras for a lot less than some of these phones. What are you even going to film with an iPhone that would benefit from uhd and 60fps (assuming the compression is acceptable, because if it looks like a youtube video they might as well not bother with 2160p)? It can't be used as an action cam, its battery, ergonomics and storage limitations make it unfit for filming your holidays and overall it just seems like snake oil. It's good that it's there I suppose, but given all the other shortcomings

Easy, stick it on the new osmo mobile and have an insine little portable rig with amazing stabilisation 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Easy, stick it on the new osmo mobile and have an insine little portable rig with amazing stabilisation 

yeah but... why a phone? if you can carry a stabilizer around you can also carry a dedicated camera.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

yeah but... why a phone? if you can carry a stabilizer around you can also carry a dedicated camera.

The reason why a phone is exactly the reason of not wanting to carry a dedicated camera. And yes, if you carry a stabilizer, you can also carry a camera, but that's ANOTHER piece of equipment to lug around.

Let's be honest. Smartphone cameras are good enough for 99% of people, who, if they even did buy a dedicated camera, they would likely buy a piece of crap $100 point and shoot compact anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)