Iphone 7 may be able to record UHD at 60fps [FALSE RUMOR]

What if the new iPhone 7 has dedicated hardware encoderfor x265? (iPhone 6/6s have a native decoder). Wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that you could record a decent amount of 4k60fps video. Coupled with their NVMe storage and with 32Gb being the new base model and 256Gb supposedly the highest end offering, I see this as an possibility.

Yes, with 32Gb you won't get much video to begin with, but at least the option is there for short moments and snippets where a short video would come in handy.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

3 hours ago, ionbasa said:

*snip*

That would have seen such a gorgeous shot on a real camera :( 

I hate phone cameras so much because in my opinion, they're worse than nothing.  At least with nothing, you'd just have the memory of what it looked like, but with a phone picture, it'll always be there, reminding you what it could have looked like, staring back at you with it's ugly graininess and lack of detail

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I hate phone cameras so much because in my opinion, they're worse than nothing.  At least with nothing, you'd just have the memory of what it looked like, but with a phone picture, it'll always be there, reminding you what it could have looked like, staring back at you with it's ugly graininess and lack of detail

I have more pictures. Actually, my next hike is supposed to be Mt. Baldy, and I will be taking my a6000 with me. This next hike will be my first long hike carrying my camera with me. Yes, the photos on my phone aren't all that great, but they're better than nothing. I had to sacrifice space in my pack to carry water instead of my camera, it gets hot in the grand canyon really fast. Got to Plateau Point at 6:30 AM (started hiking at 3:30 AM). By 7AM it was already in the mid 70s (F).

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

11 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Urm, aren't there smartphones that can do this already?
Also yeah, storage speed won't be an issues.

A lot of flagship phones can handle 4K at 30fps, but not of 60fps.

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

To all those saying that p&s are comparabile to phones: ehm... Sony rx100 guys?

A Sony RX100 is a $500 Camera... That costs as much as an entry level DSLR or a "flagship killer" class phone (Axon 7/OnePlus 3, etc).

Not exactly your traditional P&S. So while yes, this is a superior camera, this is also not your typical camera. Not even close.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Apple's whole new thing is trying to push people towards their iCloud storage subscription plans so the bigger the files the more that works out for them I guess. Saying that this means something like 1080p @240fps is possible which is exciting for a consumer level device. 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I disagree, I'm an avid photographer and with proper RAW support nowadays phone cameras are at the point where you almost can't tell the difference in 80% of everyday scenarios. Sorry to shamelessly plug myself but for the point of making a point take a look here and see if you can tell me which photos were taken on my DSLR and which ones came from my S7 Edge.

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Apple's whole new thing is trying to push people towards their iCloud storage subscription plans so the bigger the files the more that works out for them I guess. Saying that this means something like 1080p @240fps is possible which is exciting for a consumer level device. 

To be fair, that's nothing new at all. Apple has been pushing iCloud pretty heavily since at least the iPhone 4 days. It's just a shame that iCloud only comes with 5GB free storage. Both OneDrive and Google Drive beat that.

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

I disagree, I'm an avid photographer and with proper RAW support nowadays phone cameras are at the point where you almost can't tell the difference in 80% of everyday scenarios. Sorry to shamelessly plug myself but for the point of making a point take a look here and see if you can tell me which photos were taken on my DSLR and which ones came from my S7 Edge.

I also think it's disingenuous to call that shot bad. It "might have been" a gorgeous shot? Fuck that. It IS a gorgeous shot. Maybe it could have looked even better with a Full Frame Canon 5D or something, but it sure as hell still looks good, even just being taken with an iPhone.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 06/09/2016 at 5:12 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

Storage be fast enough? Doesn't the 6s have some of the fastest if not the fastest storage?

Yeah

It was equivalent to a low end SSD. iPad pro had the same storage 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

7 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Well, no, I can't tell at that resolution :PxD If that's all you ever need, then a phone would be a great option, but anything higher and, in my experience, phones really start to show their drawbacks.  And, looking beyond resolution, there's creative options that you miss out on too.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'd guess the dark one with the bridge and river was a phone because it is super noisy, and the one under it with the yellow lines coming from the grate was a DSLR because it looks (to me) like a low ISO (low noise) long exposure

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

Since P&S and smartphone use very similar sensor. And P&S has been replaced by smartphone. Let's put it this way. Can a P&S replace DSLR? If you hire an expensive pro photographer to have your wedding shot. And he comes with a $250 P&S, and says,"It's just as good as big DSLR."

Another limitation of course is the lenses. Most smartphones only have a moderate wide lens. There is a good reason why Canon and Nikon have so many different lenses with different focal length. And there is also a good reason why good lenses are very expensive. Try to take a smartphone to do wildlife, birds, sport, race cars, concert, real macro....

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Since P&S and smartphone use very similar sensor. And P&S has been replaced by smartphone. Let's put it this way. Can a P&S replace DSLR? If you hire an expensive pro photographer to have your wedding shot. And he comes with a $250 P&S, and says,"It's just as good as big DSLR."

Another limitation of course is the lenses. Most smartphones only have a moderate wide lens. There is a good reason why Canon and Nikon have so many different lenses with different focal length. And there is also a good reason why good lenses are very expensive. Try to take a smartphone to do wildlife, birds, sport, race cars, concert, real macro....

$250 P&S? That photographer would be having an absolute laugh. No way he's getting paid for bringing any old p&s camera - Unless it's a RX100 or something.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

1 hour ago, burnttoastnice said:

$250 P&S? That photographer would be having an absolute laugh. No way he's getting paid for bringing any old p&s camera - Unless it's a RX100 or something.

You can find plenty of youtube videos trying to "prove" smartphone camera is just as good as FF DSLR....xD

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, no, I can't tell at that resolution :PxD If that's all you ever need, then a phone would be a great option, but anything higher and, in my experience, phones really start to show their drawbacks.  And, looking beyond resolution, there's creative options that you miss out on too.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'd guess the dark one with the bridge and river was a phone because it is super noisy, and the one under it with the yellow lines coming from the grate was a DSLR because it looks (to me) like a low ISO (low noise) long exposure

That's the thing though 99% of people just use their cameras to capture moments and then share them via social media or print them on 5x7" photos. I agree that smartphone cameras are not as versatile but the best camera is the one you always have with you. Both those shots were actually phone shots, the difference is that for the fountain I had forgotten to enable RAW so I wasn't able to pull the details out of the shadows as cleanly as I would have liked, both handheld spur of the moment shots.

9 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

That's the thing though 99% of people just use their cameras to capture moments and then share them via social media or print them on 5x7" photos. I agree that smartphone cameras are not as versatile but the best camera is the one you always have with you. Both those shots were actually phone shots, the difference is that for the fountain I had forgotten to enable RAW so I wasn't able to pull the details out of the shadows as cleanly as I would have liked, both handheld spur of the moment shots.

So true! People aren't shooting weddings with iPhones or Galaxies. They want a good camera in their phone to capture those fleeting memories that they want to anchor down. I don't know about you guys but when I look at an old photo I don't say, "well you see here I shot this back in 2010 with an 8 megapixel camera which at the time was the 2nd best shooter according to (insert camera review website)". No, I say "wow I remember in 2010 when I went to the park and I noticed 10 geese stacked on top of each other and was lucky enough to get the shot off!"

4 hours ago, Kimmers said:

So true! People aren't shooting weddings with iPhones or Galaxies. They want a good camera in their phone to capture those fleeting memories that they want to anchor down. I don't know about you guys but when I look at an old photo I don't say, "well you see here I shot this back in 2010 with an 8 megapixel camera which at the time was the 2nd best shooter according to (insert camera review website)". No, I say "wow I remember in 2010 when I went to the park and I noticed 10 geese stacked on top of each other and was lucky enough to get the shot off!"

Agreed - anyone who bitches about camera phones, and says something like "If you shoot with anything under X (X being a completely arbitrary point at which they believe cameras become "good"), you might as well not take the picture at all!" That person is being an arrogant elitist.

If you're a hobby or professional photographer, go nuts. Use that DSLR, or that $500 P&S. No one is stopping you, or telling you that you're doing it wrong.

The rest of us will happily continue using our smartphone cameras. if that's a problem to anyone, then they can get right the fuck off their high horse, and go away.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - anyone who bitches about camera phones, and says something like "If you shoot with anything under X (X being a completely arbitrary point at which they believe cameras become "good"), you might as well not take the picture at all!" That person is being an arrogant elitist.

If you're a hobby or professional photographer, go nuts. Use that DSLR, or that $500 P&S. No one is stopping you, or telling you that you're doing it wrong.

The rest of us will happily continue using our smartphone cameras. if that's a problem to anyone, then they can get right the fuck off their high horse, and go away.

When it comes to other people, I give them my advice and then let them do whatever they want, but personally I suffered with poor cameras for far too long to ever go back... just can't stand it :D 

52 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

When it comes to other people, I give them my advice and then let them do whatever they want, but personally I suffered with poor cameras for far too long to ever go back... just can't stand it :D 

And that's totally cool for your personal choice :D

That's why we're Tech Enthusiasts! Choice is everything.

Some just choose not to invest in a dedicated camera - hell, I know people with $1000+ DSLR's that sit on a shelf somewhere because they never think to bring it with them anywhere, and they just end up using their Smartphones anyway because of the massive convenience bonus.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

And that's totally cool for your personal choice :D

That's why we're Tech Enthusiasts! Choice is everything.

Some just choose not to invest in a dedicated camera - hell, I know people with $1000+ DSLR's that sit on a shelf somewhere because they never think to bring it with them anywhere, and they just end up using their Smartphones anyway because of the massive convenience bonus.

hehe I'm no professional xD I just couldn't stand taking pictures only to be disappointed with them every single time any longer :P 

Now when I shoot something, I know it's actually gonna make a usable background at 2880 x * for example.  Very nice :D