AMD and GloFo change WSA terms

kiska3

Under the terms of the five-year deal, which sets annual wafer-purchase targets along with wafer prices for this year and a framework for yearly wafer pricing in future years, AMD will pay Globalfoundries $100 million in installments. AMD also agreed to pay Globalfoundries quarterly, beginning in 2017, based on the volume of certain wafers bought from another foundry.

GlobalFoundries and AMD sign a five year WSA(Wafer Supply Agreement). For the price of $100 Million in a one time payment and $235 Million to Mubadala development Co for 75 million shares at a price of $5.98. The warrant is exercisable by 2020, Feb 29th. The Agreement is from 2016, Jan 1st til 2020, Dec 31st. This move will allow AMD to use GloFo 7nm when it comes out(that is). Wonder how that $335 million charge is going to look for investors

AMD investors relations release: http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2198716

EDIT:

Looks like the deal has some terms that might make it costly for AMD to change foundries if GloFo is not as good as it is

GlobalFoundries however, is being very careful with this new amendment and a number of terms in the deal preventing AMD from jumping ship or make it very costly to do so.

This is very dangerous for AMD

Source

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/amd-globalfoundries-change-terms-of-business-agreement-20160831-01108

http://www.custompcreview.com/news/amd-globalfoundries-amend-multi-year-wafer-supply-agreement/32194/

Edited by kiska3

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

AMD's lucky that they recently got a large cash infusion. :/

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

of roughly 350m

That's barely leaves enough for that WSA change :S 

And this is why buying ATI, not merging with Nvidia, and selling its foundries were all BAD things!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

And this is why buying ATI, not merging with Nvidia, and selling its foundries were all BAD things!

For one merging with Nvidia for AMD means giving up its x86 licence that intel has 'granted' due to changes in the agreement

1 minute ago, kiska3 said:

For one merging with Nvidia for AMD means giving up its x86 licence that intel has 'granted' due to changes in the agreement

And it would mean Intel loses x86_64. They'd have to renegotiate, but they'd get it done.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Interesting note is that Mubadala already has 18% of AMD shares, and that once a charge has been issued, it can not be reversed

1 hour ago, kiska3 said:

This is very dangerous for AMD

Why? This is literally what AMD has been doing ever since they sold off GloFo. Rather now that GloFo has a node agreement with Samsung, as well as IBM's tech for 7nm, I really don't see this as an issue at all. In fact, if Vega and ZEN becomes successes, AMD might need to go to Samsung's foundries as well, if GloFo's capacity is not enough.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So AMD is paying $100m to GlobalFoundaries?? AMD must have a very good reason to pay to stick with Global Foundaries rather than TSMC or other Fabs.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

51 minutes ago, Notional said:

Why? This is literally what AMD has been doing ever since they sold off GloFo. Rather now that GloFo has a node agreement with Samsung, as well as IBM's tech for 7nm, I really don't see this as an issue at all. In fact, if Vega and ZEN becomes successes, AMD might need to go to Samsung's foundries as well, if GloFo's capacity is not enough.

GloFo is on its own for 10nm though, and IBM's 7nm demo used quad-level patterning and full EUV. The cost of such a process at scale will be astronomical.

10 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

So AMD is paying $100m to GlobalFoundaries?? AMD must have a very good reason to pay to stick with Global Foundaries rather than TSMC or other Fabs.

Mudabala owns significant stakes in both companies. It's just an effort to keep them both alive.

I don't see it as a positive or negative thing, it's a risk that AMD is taking

APU: AMD A10-7850K cooled by an NH-L12; PSU(going to upgrade sooner or later):  Antec VP450P;RAM: 2x4GB HyperX Savage 2133MHz; MOBO: Asus A68HM-Plus; CASE: Itek [something] ; HDD: WD Blue 1TB(WD10EZEX)

OS: Triple boot openSUSE Leap Debian Jessie and Windows 10(aka MSX)

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

GloFo is on its own for 10nm though, and IBM's 7nm demo used quad-level patterning and full EUV. The cost of such a process at scale will be astronomical.

Mudabala owns significant stakes in both companies. It's just an effort to keep them both alive.

Probably why AMD said they would skip 10nm entirely. If the 7nm node is in conjunction with Samsung's node, I don't see a problem as such.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Probably why AMD said they would skip 10nm entirely. If the 7nm node is in conjunction with Samsung's node, I don't see a problem as such.

Really? Intel is struggling with 10nm, and you don't see 7 (9nm) being a problem for Samsung and GloFo? Where do they dig you people up? Even IBM could only achieve single-core 7nm chips using full EUV and quad-level patterning. That cost alone will make scale production unaffordable. Samsung is delusional enough to think it can integrate an immature lithography tech partway at 9nm when the only real competition Intel ever had said it couldn't be done. Samsung has scale. It lacks brilliance.

From what I read the deal is in favour of AMD. They were buying wafers from GloFo anyway, now if they can't deliver, they can buy from other manufacturers as well. Which is nice. 

Anandtech has a pretty good article about this story that goes into detail about each of the parts....

It's a pretty richly GloFo weighted document....

Also, looks like AMD bought a record low worth of wafers from GloFo in q2 2016 (75M, compared to 180M Q1), and this is with Polaris launch...

"Total wafer purchases from GLOBALFOUNDRIES in the second quarter was $75 million, and year-to-date, we have purchased $259 million."

AMD really needs to get availability down for it's chips or peeps in the US will just be defacto pushed into Nvidia's hands (it's already happened quite a bit on the 480 v 1060 mark).

I was honestly expecting some sort of admission about GloFo having yield issues or something and that they needed to make targets better, and while there is a stipulation in that, the gist of this document reflects the bottleneck being on AMD's side.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10631/amd-amends-globalfoundries-wafer-supply-agreement-through-2020

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Really? Intel is struggling with 10nm, and you don't see 7 (9nm) being a problem for Samsung and GloFo? Where do they dig you people up? Even IBM could only achieve single-core 7nm chips using full EUV and quad-level patterning. That cost alone will make scale production unaffordable. Samsung is delusional enough to think it can integrate an immature lithography tech partway at 9nm when the only real competition Intel ever had said it couldn't be done. Samsung has scale. It lacks brilliance.

And GloFo/TSMC had massive issues with 20nm as well, but 14/16nm is just fine. It's not like we will see any of these nodes any time soon. And of course we can always discuss the definition of these 10/9/7nm sizes anyways. Intel will probably be first, but GloFo/Samsung should not be far behind. I mostly wonder about TSMC though.

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

And GloFo/TSMC had massive issues with 20nm as well, but 14/16nm is just fine. It's not like we will see any of these nodes any time soon. And of course we can always discuss the definition of these 10/9/7nm sizes anyways. Intel will probably be first, but GloFo/Samsung should not be far behind. I mostly wonder about TSMC though.

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

Because 14/16 is just a slightly tightened 20nm with FinFET added on for them. The hard work had already been done with 20nm.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Because 14/16 is just a slightly tightened 20nm with FinFET added on for them. The hard work had already been done with 20nm.

I doubt that, as FinFets are very different from planar. 20nm would have worked fine too, if it had FinFets instead of planar. After all, the reason why Intel could get their 22nm to work, was because of FinFet (Trigate). At the end though, it's pure speculation where Intel/GloFo/Samsung will be in a year or two.

As for the topic at hand, I still see this is a good deal, so idk why it's being portrayed as something bad.

I actually don't see this as a bad move.  It secures massive amounts of manufacturing power for AMD... 

Gloflo's tech just has to be good. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

forum on mobiles is still fucked up.... sigh

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I actually don't see this as a bad move.  It secures massive amounts of manufacturing power for AMD... 

Gloflo's tech just has to be good. 

You don't get it though.... it was already secured.... now AMD also has to down pay 335M dollars and face a new swath of potential penalties (although the severity of which is unknown).

This isn't bad in a vacuum, but it's terrible compared to the status quo.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS