what does BT (British Telecom) and ValvE have in common? a patents infringement claim ...

source: https://search.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/12085257

via: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/08/31/bt-is-suing-valve

This is a patent infringement action brought by BT against Valve based on Valve’s continued willful infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,578,079 (entitled “Communications Node for Providing Network Based Information Service”) (the “Gittins” Patent), U.S. Patent No. 6,334,142 (entitled “Method For Automatic And Periodic Requests For Messages To An E-mail Server From The Client ”) (the “Newton” Patent), U.S. Patent No. 6,694,375 (entitled “Communications Network And Method Having Accessible Directory Of User Profile Data”) (the “Beddus” Patent), and U.S. Patent No. 7,167,142 (entitled “Multi-user Display System”) (the “Buckley” Patent) (collectively, the “Patents-In-Suit”).

US of A, the land where everything is possible ...

“that originates from multiple subscription services and delivering it through a single portal where a customer may access content for which it has access rights”

what that ^ sounds like? it does sound like STEAM, doesn't it; but it also sounds like Netflix, Amazon or any other on-line services

“method for delivering structured messages comprised of information and data parts to an intended audience in a reliable and predictable manner”

every other (on-line) messaging service

“multi-user display system and method for controlling a communal display that includes at least two independent workstations and an interface server for connection to a data network”

Twitch, YouTube, FaceBook + Blizzard = love

apparently, BT has also sued Twitch and YouTube ^_^

this is pure mental retardation 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

this is pure mental retardation 

No, it's someone with a smart, highly-applicable idea getting a patent and not getting properly paid for use of it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, it's someone with a smart, highly-applicable idea getting a patent and not getting properly paid for use of it.

the ability to do this not the ones who do it. 

"A court in texas" is becoming the legal version of "a florida man"

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

*patiently waits for Corbyn to nationalise BT*

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Patents are not suppose to be vague like this, and have to be "non-obvious" otherwise they are invalid, in general software patents are going to become a thing of the past anyway since they have been grossly abused.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

27 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Patents are not suppose to be vague like this, and have to be "non-obvious" otherwise they are invalid, in general software patents are going to become a thing of the past anyway since they have been grossly abused.

It's completely obvious, but it's also generalizable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

41 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's completely obvious, but it's also generalizable.

The problem is that "that originates from multiple subscription services and delivering it through a single portal where a customer may access content for which it has access rights" is way too fucking vague to be legit.

You can't patent a single portal where a customer may access content for which it has access rights. That's literally every subscription or service based website in existence.

Well, I guess I should say, you SHOULDN'T be able to patent that, because clearly BT already has.

If there is some specific technology, piece of code, or proprietary communications protocol that Valve has ripped off, sure BT, sue them. But this? This is the pinnacle of patent trolling. This is just as bad - if not worse - than patenting "rounded edges" on a smartphone.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I hope BT wins and gets at least £30billion from these patents.

Then I can finally have gb internet.

Who am I kidding they'd probably spend it on getting all the premiship football rights.....

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem is that "that originates from multiple subscription services and delivering it through a single portal where a customer may access content for which it has access rights" is way too fucking vague to be legit.

You can't patent a single portal where a customer may access content for which it has access rights. That's literally every subscription or service based website in existence.

Well, I guess I should say, you SHOULDN'T be able to patent that, because clearly BT already has.

If there is some specific technology, piece of code, or proprietary communications protocol that Valve has ripped off, sure BT, sue them. But this? This is the pinnacle of patent trolling. This is just as bad - if not worse - than patenting "rounded edges" on a smartphone.

Says you. Just because it is general does not mean it is vague. It's quite specific, but it's highly applicable.

No, because this specifies multiple different services.

42 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Says you. Just because it is general does not mean it is vague. It's quite specific, but it's highly applicable.

No, because this specifies multiple different services.

It's highly applicable, yes, but it wasn't an application, therefore not a patent. At least that's how patents are filed nowadays.

Slightly off topic: why do I keep saying people formatting it "ValvE"? Why the captial E?

Anyway, how can they claim to have patented delivering multiple services through a single user portal? Doesn't that apply to a hell of a lot of services?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Slightly off topic: why do I keep saying people formatting it "ValvE"? Why the captial E?

320px-Valve_logo.svg.png

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Then it should be "VALVE" since every character in their logo is captialised.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

12 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Then it should be "VALVE" since every character in their logo is captialised.

except for the VALVE

since I cannot use superscript in the title, I write it like that

On 8/31/2016 at 8:10 AM, patrickjp93 said:

The patent being granted is mental retardation though. Patent trolls and abusers are just a symptom of the disease. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The patent being granted is mental retardation though. Patent trolls and abusers are just a symptom of the disease. 

How so? It was specific, clear, and had never been done before. Just be glad no one ever patented quick sort.

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

too add to that, patents like this aren't being used to protect intellectual property, or allow a company to cultivate profits from being the first to produce something using a method unique to them, they're being used to make broad sweeping claims on things that are literally just concepts.  If you tried to patent a screw in this way, "a method of securing a material to another material using something that is not a nail or adhesive" would not fucking fly. But the equivalent happens with electronis, people staking claim on obvious advancements or things, or things already existing like dialog choice in games- EA has a broad fucking patent for a UI for this

https://www.google.com/patents/US20070226648

they literally patent putting dialog choices in a circle, but to my knowledge haven't tired applying this in any way. 

The intent here in these cases of patent trolling is not to protect intellectual property, R&D, or unique technology that these companies pioneer, it's to file something broad and vaguely as possible for it to be accepted, and to later apply it to everything that either already existed or will have existed inevitably when the technology caught up. It's the equivalent of posting FIRST on topic then trying to destroy the life of everyone else who posted, even if they posted before you, not thinking to claim first, or in this case maybe patent something so broad an obvious. 

muh specs 

All parts black

8 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

How so? It was specific, clear, and had never been done before. Just be glad no one ever patented quick sort.

It's far too broad to be granted I don't think it's specific enough. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

30 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Also (few years back) Apples patent of "rectangular object with rounded corners" was very specific?

Really the US should thighten up their patent laws. It just Fing stupid how there companies can pantent things that are so vague that anything can be it. And what's even stupider is that those companies don't even need to use the patent on anything else than milk money from other companies because they have somehow infriged these absurd and vague patents.

software patents are dumb. end of story

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

2 hours ago, Stadin6 said:

Hell this isn't even a software patent. That would be more specific. This is just vague as hell ideas that are the common sense evolution of existing systems.

I would also not be surprised if all or most of these patents get thrown out due to Prior Art.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It's far too broad to be granted I don't think it's specific enough. 

Well patent offices around the world disagree with you. It was very specific for its time. Now, we can all agree tech patents need to have earlier sunsets in a more agile world, but that doesn't change the fact that is a specific patent. It's just incredibly useful.

6 hours ago, Thaldor said:

Also (few years back) Apples patent of "rectangular object with rounded corners" was very specific?

Really the US should thighten up their patent laws. It just Fing stupid how there companies can pantent things that are so vague that anything can be it. And what's even stupider is that those companies don't even need to use the patent on anything else than milk money from other companies because they have somehow infriged these absurd and vague patents.

That one was ridiculous, yes.

You do realize this same patent is held in the EU and China as well, right? At the time it was made, few people understood the implications. That doesn't make it non-specific.

6 hours ago, Stadin6 said:

You spend years architecting an algorithm and see if you'd like to not secure it and sell it. Every high speed trading algorithm is patented. They're not stupid. Someone had to reason it out and engineer it, just like physical objects.

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Well patent offices around the world disagree with you. It was very specific for its time. Now, we can all agree tech patents need to have earlier sunsets in a more agile world, but that doesn't change the fact that is a specific patent. It's just incredibly useful.

I realize. My concern is overall more broad than any one single case as I maintain that the entire system is balanced in favor of the copyright holder far too much. Even if that sounds counter intuitive, the benefits of holding a patent are far greater than needed to the point that it defeats the purpose of being an incentive to invention and progress and becomes a legal tool for law firms.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I realize. My concern is overall more broad than any one single case as I maintain that the entire system is balanced in favor of the copyright holder far too much. Even if that sounds counter intuitive, the benefits of holding a patent are far greater than needed to the point that it defeats the purpose of being an incentive to invention and progress and becomes a legal tool for law firms.

I do agree patent trolling should be made illegal. Unless the holding company/firm owns/represents a manufacturer, they shouldn't be able to file patent infringement claims.