Kickfarted? "The Wolfe: Supercharge Your Laptop"

mcraftax

I didn't know where to post this so i put it here.

My friend found this on kickstarter and thought it was great idea and i had to explain to him in theory this can be done good like the Razer Core but this one is probably complete bullsh!t, especially the marketing. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewolfe/the-wolfe-supercharge-your-laptop

Spoiler

I know the link the video is playing from is not the original but the kickstarter video link would not show up here as a video.

I would quote some of the things they have said but you can see for yourselves.

It is mainly marketed at apple users and "uses and pro level gpu" but it is only using a 970 at the highest level.

I could go on but i can't be bothered as it has such horrible marketing.

As Linus has said you will never be able to run vr on the mac (/book)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Oh nooooo, the Witcher 3 on the laptop (with the 'Wolfe') looks like it's still running at like 20fps.. Come on, you can't use that in your video!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If someone can afford a macbook or/and VR, they can definitely afford a gaming laptop. Sure carryin two laptops might seem dumb but it's thinner then that box.

Aren't there thunderbolt 2 PCIe adapter boxes already?

Also don't forget that Thunderbolt 2 is PCIe 2.0 x4 max.

Just now, Snooli said:

There is the Razer Core (TB3) and a few others that have failed

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Have these people never heard that companies shoved two gtx 1080s in a laptop.

And the thing costs $270, and can only support under 220w cards. If you have that much monry to spend on it it should support 250w cards like the titan x(pascal).

2 minutes ago, Snooli said:

Yep, and thunderbolt 3 boxes

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, Snooli said:

Don't know of any TB3 Macbook

The newer 2016 macbooks have thunderbolt 3.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

I researched this thing a few days ago. All they show is the 950 OEM version. And their box dimensions are smaller than that of the card. So, clearly it works on magic, impossible dimensions, constricted airflow, 100% fan speed, power brick for extra portability, and faux metal plastic box.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

Nearly every single thing they said is only true and reasonable if Apple is the only computer company in existence.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Nearly every single thing they said is only true and reasonable if Apple is the only computer company in existence.

For some people it is.

10 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

For the sheep it is.

Fixed that for you :)

I love my iphone 6s, but that is about the only thing I buy from apple, apart from their phones I cannot see a reason to buy an ipad over an android tablet or a macbook over lets say a Razer Blade (or much cheaper windows variants)

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Honestly the marketing isn't terrible for one aimed at Mac users (not saying the product is good).  They have almost no affordable options for GPUs, and some are adamant about being a macbook only kind of guy/girl.  If it was a windows only product aimed at laptops, it would be pretty bad in a marketing sense.

Granted, you're still better off buying an entire Windows PC for this sort of thing.  Don't know how those macbook cpu's or OSX are gonna handle full maxwell cards attached to them. 

Edit: I read the Kickstart page a bit more and found this.

Yes! The Dual Wolfe setup is incredibly powerful. In fact, you can use as many Wolves as you have Thunderbolt ports - so on the Mac Pro you can add up to six! This is most useful for the biggest power-users: if you want to build a render farm, machine learning/compute workstation, cryptocurrency mining rig, or multi-monitor setup, a pack of Wolves will blow your regular computer away. We're continually improving our Wolfepack software to add more capabilities, including broader multi-Wolfe support. The Dual Wolfe setup is not recommended for gamers yet, but we are working hard to bring you multi-GPU gaming.

Imagine... 6 GPUs... on a macbook!

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

Why no PCIe slots on a laptop motherboard that you could use a extender/riser cable for?

Length is an issue, Linus taught me that. How would you power the card. Maybe thats why they use Thunderbolt.

Pricing is the same as a laptop or a budget gaming system.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

5 hours ago, flowalex said:

I really like what Kyle and Paul said about it

Reveal hidden contents

what did they

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

13 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

what did they

They basically said buy a windows laptop that can do it and it has a stupid pricing structure, they also were talking about the peoples eyes a lot

4 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

This is a good idea. But it's gonna flop. First, they are going to need nVidia to support that product with a special driver add on or added feature for their OSX nVidia driver. Apple could get pissy about this move or buy them lol. Also, those programs and games ran like shit with their "professional grade GPU", great marketing you dipshits. Good luck The Wolfie... bad name too :P. Lol.

Given everything else about this thing, I'm sure they expect to write the driver themselves. That's about as reasonable as the rest of the project.

Either that or they don't know why they would need to.

... Actually, that sounds more reasonable than the first one.

On 8/31/2016 at 0:49 PM, SLAYR said:

For some people it is.

There are buttons for "Agree," "Informative," "Funny," and "Thumbs Up," but there isn't one for "Oh god don't remind me."

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

every thing apple sells is, shit and expensive

their followers, (the pesents of the world) think they are the best and anything else is bad and evil

i wounder why they have no moto, i think they do but they don't show it,

their motto:

APPLE

Our stuff is shit and expensive and you guys just payed $3000 for a device that a $100 device can do better and over 9000x faster!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

pfft. You can already do this if you got 50 dollars and purchase a used GPU.  So roughly 220$ for a upgrade to a laptop to play some games. Assuming you at least got a 3rd gen laptop cpu and is an i5 or i7.

http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-p-934367.html

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT