ZTE AXON 7 Review

Actually ZTE was making budget smartphones for a while now, but more in the 100-250$ range and selling mostly in the Europe and China. But now that they expanded, I have to say, good job ZTE.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I don't know what I would chose between this and a Oneplus 3. Probably the OP3, because I can't find the ZTE anywhere I live.

Honestly, the OP3 feels more like a complete device to me. Not to say the ZTE is bad, which it isn't, but there are some quirks about it...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hey @LinusTech, you say the display on the Axon 7 has a higher resolution and is better than the screen on the OnePlus 3. Since you made a differentiation on "higher resolution" and "better" I assume you are referring to things like color accuracy, contrast, gamma point etc. Did you test the OnePlus (which had a shite display at launch, despite you saying it was good and accurate) after the sRGB update? It went from one of the worst flagship-phone displays (still don't understand how you could say it wasn't oversaturated) to one of the best with a single software update.

what about the xiaomi mi5?

it's half the price of this one and not half as bad

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

3 hours ago, fishy said:

what about the xiaomi mi5?

it's half the price of this one and not half as bad

It isn't half the price. The xiaomi mi5 costs around the same for the 64gb version (costs around 350$ not including import taxes). Also it runs a very customised skin called miui which removes the app drawer and is more akin to ios. Not only that it is also not durable at all as seen by this video:

One extra note about the Axon 7 vs the One +3:
Axon 7 has full American communications band support (Eg; version, sprint, ATnT, and T-moble)
One + 3 Is missing bands for Spring and Verison. (a killer for me as those are the only two I use.)

Sorce: http://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-vs-oneplus-3-707949/

If God exists, you'll want to know Him

If God is Christ, He died so that you could. (Romans 5:6-11)

>awkwardly small capacitive buttons 

>calls it a feature 

Apart from that pretty good review, but I'm not regretting buying the OP3. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

6 hours ago, david cassar said:

It isn't half the price. The xiaomi mi5 costs around the same for the 64gb version (costs around 350$ not including import taxes). Also it runs a very customised skin called miui which removes the app drawer and is more akin to ios. Not only that it is also not durable at all.

so the performance is now measured in how much storage it has and durability by bend tests?

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

32 minutes ago, fishy said:

so the performance is now measured in how much storage it has and durability by bend tests?

Lmao did I say that? No I didn't. Since both the zte axon 7 and one plus 3 are only available in 64gb storage options it wouldn't be fair to compare a 32gb mi5 to them. Specs are very similar yes but so are the prices. And since phones with a heavily skinned ui don't usually age that well the one plus 3 or zte axon 7 would be better options. 

17 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

>awkwardly small capacitive buttons 

>calls it a feature 

Apart from that pretty good review, but I'm not regretting buying the OP3. 

Well, Linus does have tiny little hands.

After reading/watching a lot of reviews on the Axon 7 the general consensus seems to be that the OP3 is better? A lot of that comes down to the UI rather than the phone its self... Hardware wise... for me the Axon 7 wins - I'll happily wait for software/UI updates - that thing where you have to press the bell icon to view notifications is killing me. I also think the Axon 7 is the better looking of the 2 but that's a very subjective thing. I'd buy this tomorrow if it were available in the UK

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, Kirky2k15 said:

After reading/watching a lot of reviews on the Axon 7 the general consensus seems to be that the OP3 is better? A lot of that comes down to the UI rather than the phone its self... Hardware wise... for me the Axon 7 wins - I'll happily wait for software/UI updates - that thing where you have to press the bell icon to view notifications is killing me. I also think the Axon 7 is the better looking of the 2 but that's a very subjective thing. I'd buy this tomorrow if it were available in the UK

Axon Australia say it is coming in October. Try looking for Axon UK or whatever the equivalent is.

I would wait a few months, look at how active the Axon 7 branch of the XDA forums, and make a judgement call then.

Historically, OnePlus phones have been similar to Nexi in terms of XDA developer scene. As in, plenty of custom kernels, ROMs, and other mods.

Axon 7 received a small amount of backlash over a rep incorrectly stating the bootloader would not be unlockable. They have since retracted that statement and said they would have a bootloader unlocker, but at the cost of voiding your warranty, even if the fault is hardware and not software. ^.^ 

I wonder if the more conservative grey colour schemes depreciate slower than the gold ones? Do phones age like cars? :P

I have been waiting on this video to make my decision on a phone and darn It did not make up my mind.

I was pretty sure when the axon 7 release It was the phone I wanted. but now i am not so sure.

I have a HTC desire 816, that I cracked the screen on and virgin mobile no longer offers that phone.

I was pretty happy with the phone except for its storage only 8gb and it between OS, the bloat where HTC and virgin moble put on 4.2 was left mostly of that was taken up by aps i could not delete. I have a 64gb sd but the phone does a poor job of putting stuff there and most apps still took up to much room.

I love the size now and love having stereo speakers since I watch a lot of content on my phone.

although i wish they were a little louder. My car has a rubbish speaker system and I would love to listen to music an audio books. wich i can do right now as long as the windows are closed and the a/c is not running to High. (I now i could get a blue tothe speaker but i just want it there) like If i am out on the soccer field i want to hear it from pretty far away or I want to hear it over the shower...

my last complaint Is that the aux port is not tight and It will not hold in my daily driver headphones the audio technica m40x.

After doing a lot of research I had it down to the alcatel Idol 4s and the axon 7. then thought i had it down to the axon 7 but then had quality control concerns. ended up looking at a lot of the sony stuff but its too expensive I am now in a huge circle. 

in the end I really can't spend more the the 399 price. I love the 5.5 ish size.  I demanded stereo front facing speakers. ruling out one plus 3 but that leaves nexus 6p, the actel even if it isn't perfect with button placement. and the axon 7. but for all of its claims linus said speakers were not that great. I want the loudest will not sounding bad. future vr suport sounds amazing. I am rambling because i am so confused at this point.