How to get Ethernet on the other side of my appartment

joltx

So I'm tired of my wifi. Signal is weak and I want to get Ethernet. But my PC room is quite far away from the modem/router. Have you an idea?

1 minute ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

So I'm tired of my wifi. Signal is weak and I want to get Ethernet. But my PC room is quite far away from the modem/router. Have you an idea?

powerline kit?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Buy a long ethernet cable?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

No way that is all the way on the other side of the building. That is unpractical. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Signal degradation 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Power line kits normally don't work well or at all if the two adapters are on separate breakers. Odds are, if it's as far away as it sounds like it is then the powerline kit probably won't work either. 

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Signal degradation 

that too. I think I'm going to get a powerline.

3 minutes ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

No way that is all the way on the other side of the building. That is unpractical. 

I don't know what kind of building you have but what about taking the wire outside?

A normal ethernet cable is good up to 100m.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

that too. I think I'm going to get a powerline.

You're not going to be happy with that if you are one separate breakers!

What signal degradation are you guys talking about?  @Enderman is right.  A long run is the way to go if you can do it.  Powerline adapters at long distances will probably be worse than your wireless signal.  

Tell us more about where your router is located and where you want the Ethernet.

3 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

Power line kits normally don't work well or at all if the two adapters are on separate breakers. Odds are, if it's as far away as it sounds like it is then the powerline kit probably won't work either. 

They usually work but they almost always suffer from dirty power.

The smallest jitter in wall power between 2 breakers can cause connection issues.

I have very clean wall power and even i have powerline issues. WIFI is for me more stable than powerline...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I am running a 50 foot ethernet from my modem in the living room through my floor trim down the hall and it meets up to my office wireless router. I also have my Desktop, wifes laptop, printer and once in a while my friends hook up to it with wire when they bring their rigs. We all game and stream videos no problem. 

Its all in the modem and router for a good signal.

[edit: if it helps I am only running a CAT5e]

25 minutes ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

How is that impractical, just nail it to a wall and forget about it, it is pretty much invisible.

hqdefault.jpg

24 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Signal degradation 

As long as it is less than 300ft there is no issue with signal degradation.

Signal degradation is something for wireless transmission, not digital.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A wired connection (cat5e or better) is good for up to 105 meters. No signal degradation, no decrease in speed, you get full 1gbps up to 100+ meters. 

Just don't do extreme bends in the cable and use quality cable, not that crap CCA (copper clad aluminum) type of network cable. (CCA cables are made out of aluminum strands with a very thin layer of copper around the aluminum strands, which make them cheaper to manufacture but not so good for long distances)

Next option would be powerline adapters, but ideal only if both are on the same circuit. As others said, if they're on different breakers in the house, or you use often microwaves or high power stuff on the same circuit, the speed and latency will suffer.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

How is that impractical, just nail it to a wall and forget about it, it is pretty much invisible.

hqdefault.jpg

I thought ethernet was analog? Or at least not digital

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

No, coaxial cable was analogue (for TV, ISPs encode the data packets digitally on coaxial cable, these days even TV channels are digitally sent through coaxial cable).

Ethernet cable is digital, four pairs of wires sending bits through the wires.  For 100mbps, only 2 out of 4 pairs of wires are used, for 1gbps, all four pairs of wires inside a cable are used.

Network cards on both ends of the cable send the signals with enough power that signals won't be degraded at up to the distance in the standard, 105 meters. Some network cards even go as far as monitoring the signal quality and adjusting the power dynamically to save power when the cables are short or when the network device at the other end is equally powerful and cable of decoding the data without issues.

Do you have a loft or attic that you can put the Ethernet through? A cable is definitely the most reliable way to go.

I have a 40M Cat5e Ethernet cable and I'm getting the max speed possible from my ISP and router. (~50Mb/s)

I edit my posts a lot.

What EXACTLY are you using in terms of a router right now, and how obscured is the path to the desired access point?

It's possible that a repeater could be used.

12 hours ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

reach out to your ISP. some will move your router or wire a cable through your wall for cheap

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Get a repeater so you can have a stronger wifi signal.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

17 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Get a repeater so you can have a stronger wifi signal.

You have to be careful with these, they have to be placed correctly and even in a best case scenario they introduce another hop which increases your latency. Usually a symptom of this is a higher ping and seemingly laggy web browsing. 

7 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

You have to be careful with these, they have to be placed correctly and even in a best case scenario they introduce another hop which increases your latency. Usually a symptom of this is a higher ping and seemingly laggy web browsing. 

It's not just the latency increases that suck, it's the fact that they cut bandwidth in half due to design.  Generally speaking, repeaters are just garbage.

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

Signal degradation 

What? A good ethernet cable is able to be run 100m (That's ~330 ft for the yanks). Signal degradation should not be an issue.

1 hour ago, RoccoRiu5960 said:

What kind of heating do you have? In my old apartment, we had the heater running along one wall, passing through each room (It was water boiler radiator heating), so to make room for the pipe, small holes were already cut underneath the metal housing for the rad.

I was easily able to wire every room by using those existing holes, and hide all the cables nicely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

hqdefault.jpg

I understand that pulling wire through walls can be daunting, and problematic if you do not own the building.  But why more people don't do this is beyond me.  Yes, it's not visually perfect, but it's quick, easy, easily removable, and it works so much better than any wireless. 

19 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

I understand that pulling wire through walls can be daunting, and problematic if you do not own the building.  But why more people don't do this is beyond me.  Yes, it's not visually perfect, but it's quick, easy, easily removable, and it works so much better than any wireless. 

White cable + some cable mounts = nearly invisible, and only a few minutes or hours of work depending how long the cable is.

Some people think of "ugly blue twisted ethernet cable lying on floor" when you tell them to use wired, but honestly it doesn't have to be like that.

Spoiler