"Warranty void" stickers, break warranty act

dR.Ugz

We're aloud to make upgrades to our products as long as it doesn't break it? According to this article, it's been illegal for companies to use that little sticker we're all so afraid of since 1975!

Found this over on r/pumas Terrace(I'm leaving that! That's awesome. thnx auto correct). r/pcmasterrace posted by /u/topredditgeek thought of Linus when he makes a comment about the warranty being void when opens up products to modify them.

news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-breaking-warranty-act-with-tamper-resistant-stickers-on-new-devices-507066.shtml

• CPU: AMD FX-8350   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3(rev 4.0)   RAM: 8GBs of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz   GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU   Case: Corsair 750D   Storage: Adata 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU: Corsair 750w   Display(s): [ASUS VG248QE 144Hz], [ASUS VE247H]   Cooling: Corsair H100i   Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70   Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013.

It's hard to say where I stand on this. I think a reasonable person can upgrade a desktop, or even replace thermal compound on a gpu without voiding reasonably their warranty, but in reality, think of things like phones, laptops, game consoles, hell even hard drives. You opened a hard drive? Yah, good luck. Hope you had a clean room. I mean I've done it successfully to do simple things like reset write heads successfully, (and other things like platter swaps with some dead sectors but getting most of the data believe it or not), but if one of those stops working, yea...think it's my fault. Hell, even if I took it to a professional, I think it stops being the responsibility of the manufacturer at that point.  I really think in a lot of cases these stickers are reasonable 

On the other end, it worries me the trend we're seeing with companies trying their hardest to lock people out of legally servicing cars. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It's hard to say where I stand on this. I think a reasonable person can upgrade a desktop, or even replace thermal compound on a gpu without voiding reasonably their warranty, but in reality, think of things like phones, laptops, game consoles, hell even hard drives. You opened a hard drive? Yah, good luck. Hope you had a clean room. I mean I've done it successfull to do simple things like reset write heads successfully, (and other things like platter swaps with some dead sectors but getting most of the data believe it or not), but if one of those stops working, yea...think it's my fault. Hell, even if I took it to a professional, I think it stops being the responsibility of the manufacturer at that point.  I really think in a lot of cases these stickers are reasonable 

On the other end, it worries me the trend we're seeing with companies trying their hardest to lock people out of legally servicing cars. 

yup, the car servicing thing is crazy, grandma had a 2015 corolla and wen we had done the first oilchange at home the garage told us that there was an error code in the car`s computer becuse the oil had been changed but the computer hadnt been reset and that warranty wouldnt have covered it if we had bricked the ecu? like dafq you shouldnt be screwed over for trying to be self suficient....

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Some aren't honest when they break something and can easily swap out and remove parts, then claim that's how they got it. The sticker is there for a reason so idiots will not poke around and damage components. Don't want a warranty sticker then build it yourself.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

dont break your shit and you dont need a warranty 

The issue is for every one person who is capable of understanding the risks involved with self-maintenance of a vehicle, or modification of a computer, for example, there is several complete morons who will have the refinement and subtlety of a sledgehammer to lay icing on a cake.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

54 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Some aren't honest when they break something and can easily swap out and remove parts, then claim that's how they got it. The sticker is there for a reason so idiots will not poke around and damage components. Don't want a warranty sticker then build it yourself.

You say build it yourself but when its something like a hard drive, phone  or a gpu they just cover them in warranty stickers and its not as if you can go down the street and buy the components to build your own.

Just now, Kyuketsuki said:

You say build it yourself but when its something like a hard drive, phone  or a gpu they just cover them in warranty stickers and its not as if you can go down the street and buy the components to build your own.

DIY so you won't get the warranty sticker on the outside of your case that prevents you from accessing your components. I don't care how many warranty sticker they plaster on a HDD or GPU, cause I don't have the tools and equipment to to fix it myself, so I just send it back and get a replacement.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

DIY so you won't get the warranty sticker on the outside of your case that prevents you from accessing your components. I don't care how many warranty sticker they plaster on a HDD or GPU, cause I don't have the tools and equipment to to fix it myself, so I just send it back and get a replacement.

Yes I agree, I personally wouldn't be taking them particular things apart myself but a good example of warranty stickers getting in the way of products you cant build yourself is a phone or laptop which particually with alot of apple products would disallow 3rd party professional repairers from replacing many components, even simple SSD upgrades.

7 minutes ago, Kyuketsuki said:

Yes I agree, I personally wouldn't be taking them particular things apart myself but a good example of warranty stickers getting in the way of products you cant build yourself is a phone or laptop which particually with alot of apple products would disallow 3rd party professional repairers from replacing many components, even simple SSD upgrades.

99% of current laptop won't even have a warranty sticker on parts the user replaceable like the SSD or Memory. Users can easily access them by following the instruction on the official upgrade manual.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Have had a bad run in with Gigabyte because my 980Ti bricked and I took it apart to troubleshoot it. They said that the warranty was void as soon as I pulled the heat sink off because "they can tell when it happens." EVGA and ASUS are much more forgiving though. 

I knew of this law when it was referenced for cars when teenagers add aftermarket intakes and the transmission blows and the dealership claimed the intake blew it. I did not think it could be applied to GPU's since almost anything could be reasoned to break them. 

I build PCs as a hobby. 

2 minutes ago, skyler_mertz said:

Have had a bad run in with Gigabyte because my 980Ti bricked and I took it apart to troubleshoot it. They said that the warranty was void as soon as I pulled the heat sink off because "they can tell when it happens." EVGA and ASUS are much more forgiving though. 

I knew of this law when it was referenced for cars when teenagers add aftermarket intakes and the transmission blows and the dealership claimed the intake blew it. I did not think it could be applied to GPU's since almost anything could be reasoned to break them. 

Now why would you want to disassemble it, when you know, you don't even have the proper tools or equipment to run even the most simple tests. Want to troubleshoot it yourself, then do so when the warranty is fully expired. Still under warranty, then send it back for RMA.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 minutes ago, acheahead said:

The same sadly applies to consoles.
Sony is basically just an Asian version of Apple..

SONY allows users to upgrade their console's HDD

Just now, acheahead said:

I never mentioned them not allowing it :)

so .. what's the parallel with Apple!?

Apple doesn't allow users to do shit to their products

Gotta love those stickers. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

so .. what's the parallel with Apple!?

Apple doesn't allow users to do shit to their products

actually.

They do allow users to shit on their products. However it is not covered by the factory warranty.

3 minutes ago, acheahead said:

Hint: Bluray drives (Maybe you'll read it this time), not to mention not letting others service their products.
Also, as I noted before different hardware on newer revisions, that's incompatible with older revisions.
Maybe a simple HDD upgrade makes them great by your standards, but all of their warranty stickers and disapproval of anything non-Sony disgust me (i.e 3rd party store can't fix your console - It'll be sony-void ;)).

why would you change the BluRay drive?! except if was dead/defective - but, that's covered under warranty

and if warranty expired .. why would SONY give a fuck!?

Guess the only reason left for those stickers is to remind you that you're absolutely stupid to not use the warranty than try to fix something yourself. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, Lord_Doge said:

dont break your shit and you dont need a warranty 

What happens if you need a replacement due to a faulty part?

12 minutes ago, dave909904 said:

What happens if you need a replacement due to a faulty part?

under warranty, then send it back

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

under warranty, then send it back

In this warranty's  don't exist scenario he said.

4 minutes ago, dave909904 said:

In this warranty's  don't exist scenario he said.

When there is no warranty or it has expired, then breaking the seal won't matter.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Lel, so by soft modding and upgrading an Xbox HDD the warranty wouldn't have been broken-even if I did end up putting the original back in.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

On the other end, it worries me the trend we're seeing with companies trying their hardest to lock people out of legally servicing cars

My biggest problem with them is that companies use them while they are illegal. "Oh, you opened our product? Fuck you!" One of the biggest offenders: Apple. "Replace the screen and the RAM messes up? Sucks, your warranty is void."

I used to be quite active here.

I remember I had warranty void stickers on all the screws of the cooler on one of my MSI lightning edition 680s. One of the cards was overheating to crazy temps, 80-90c+.

I emailed MSI and told them I needed to redo the thermal paste and they expected me to return it to the store for service or a replacement instead.

Rather I ignored them, took off the cooler, redid the paste, and temperatures fell by around 20c! Fuck MSI.

Linus is my fetish.