First programmable Quantum Computer

1470255587-f9c43aeba5fcc58638401b8c61a66

A fully reprogrammable quantum computer has been built and tested for the first time, marking a milestone in the development of powerful problem-solving technology that harnesses the weird properties of sub-atomic particles.

Scientist at the university of Maryland has created the very first reprogrammable quantum computer. It was made possible by using lasers, as it hits each of 5 individual charged IONS, surrounding by a magnetic field, that lies at the core of the machine. When the laser hits the ions, it's able to change it from one state to the other or both. Something that can't be done to a traditional computer, where it can only understand 1s and 0s. With this, scientist are able to program softwares, where even the most powerful traditional computers can't solve, such at Quantum Fourier Transform (QFT), a highly complex programs that's used to break strong encryptions. While this first reprogrammable quantum computer only consist of 5 ions, it's flexibility allows for scientist to add more later on.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/science-world/scientists-have-created-a-quantum-computer-that-can-be-reprogrammed-with-laser-beams-413989.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, Doughnutnator said:

Yes and no. 

Schrödingers Quantum Gaming Computer? ;)

I wonder how many of These things you'd Need to match the compute power of a traditional Workstation. Or is it the other way around?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, Doughnutnator said:

Yes and no. 

can it help with researching for ios jailbreaks in the future? :D 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I wonder how many of These things you'd Need to match the compute power of a traditional Workstation. Or is it the other way around?

it's not useful for precise calculations

it's used for statistics, simulations of probabilistic environments

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Lol yeah :)

I find all this quantum thing super interesting, sadly I don't know much. 

Like someone said, they're used for statistics and that stuff, but i'm pretty sure that we will somehow find the way to crunch numbers with them and use their potential. Let's remember that the first PC's were giant calculators, now they're meme-makers.

Since quantum computers are much faster than normal computers at calculations i would like to mine with them xD 

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

1 hour ago, Dresta said:

Since quantum computers are much faster than normal computers at calculations i would like to mine with them xD 

Would be nice to see a few set up that are just folding machines. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Ooh, nice, quite interesting. :)
I really wanna see where quantum computing will go in couple of years.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 04/08/2016 at 6:52 AM, Dresta said:

That's the understatement of the century :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

We still have a lot of way to go... 

5 qubits wont replace servers...  But it's a good start! 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 04/08/2016 at 9:47 AM, techswede said:

Would be nice to see a few set up that are just folding machines. 

I can imagine they'd be perfect for that!! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Like a meaningful way of actually interfacing with them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

While still Quantum Computers are useless for us since it can't do as many things as a normal computer,but for servers they would be perfect,but for now they cost a shit tone of money to produce

Do you guys realize that without at least a master's degree you can't understand how to use those things?

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Do you guys realize that without at least a master's degree you can't understand how to use those things?

I have a Bachelor's, and I know how to do quantum programming thanks to the language and compiler D-Wave released 4 years ago. It's called do your own research/experimentation.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

I have a Bachelor's, and I know how to do quantum programming thanks to the language and compiler D-Wave released 4 years ago. It's called do your own research/experimentation.

You can program for it, maybe. But do you know how it works "hardware" wise and how to troubleshoot it?

It's not as simple as a normal computer. 

You'd have to have a good understanding of quantum physics to use it properly.

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

You can program for it, maybe. But do you know how it works "hardware" wise and how to troubleshoot it?

Hardware wise its simple,software wise and use wise might be more complicated,but we will need to see

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Hardware wise its simple,software wise and use wise might be more complicated,but we will need to see

Okay if it's simple, explain it to me in a post :)

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Okay if it's simple, explain it to me in a post :)

I don't want to quote something that already exists,if you listen closely you can understand everything,for me to explain everything in a post would take way to long.

10 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

On a high level, yes. Do I need to know exactly what wavelength of light is used and how strong the pulses are? No. That said, I could figure it all out without a Master's Degree.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

21 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

I don't want to quote something that already exists,if you listen closely you can understand everything,for me to explain everything in a post would take way to long.

Yes it would take too long. Because the guy talks 6 minutes, and he left off a lot of things required to understand how it really works. He explained what people understood more than 30 to even 50 years ago. As he said, how you compute is not trivial, and that is what is interesting about it.

I read the article about that. Not the article quoted, but the actual article, the one scientists published in nature. It's 10 page long, does a loot of shortcuts, and uses complex mathematic and physics principles.

21 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

On a high level, yes. Do I need to know exactly what wavelength of light is used and how strong the pulses are? No. That said, I could figure it all out without a Master's Degree.

Modest much?

How would you calculate errors?  What are the uncertainties of your measurements?

How can you "figure it out"?

Amaze me.

There is a reason why those are just discovered, it's because it isn't that easy. I myself cannot grasp it enough to be knowledgeable about it, but even people who are knowledgeable on those subjects admit that there is a strong difference between what results are shown through normal medium and what results are shown from scientific newspapers.

31 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Yes it would take too long. Because the guy talks 6 minutes, and he left off a lot of things required to understand how it really works. He explained what people understood more than 30 to even 50 years ago. As he said, how you compute is not trivial, and that is what is interesting about it.

I read the article about that. Not the article quoted, but the actual article, the one scientists published in nature. It's 10 page long, does a loot of shortcuts, and uses complex mathematic and physics principles.

Modest much?

How would you calculate errors?  What are the uncertainties of your measurements?

How can you "figure it out"?

Amaze me.

There is a reason why those are just discovered, it's because it isn't that easy. I myself cannot grasp it enough to be knowledgeable about it, but even people who are knowledgeable on those subjects admit that there is a strong difference between what results are shown through normal medium and what results are shown from scientific newspapers.

It's not about modesty. It's about competency, resolve, and time. I understand QM well enough to have aced both classes. As for the measurements, aluminum oxide reaction and power output fluctuations. I'd figure out the wavelength within 2 nm with just 6 tries. As for errors, there are known limits for how that reaction works.

There is a lot of intricacy, but that doesn't make it near-impossible to understand.

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not about modesty.

With you, never.