PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Which tier do Gamdias Astrape 650B and Aerocool Kcas 650G belong to?  I don't know if I should change my 4 year (but still working like a champ)  Strike-X 600.

15 minutes ago, Joloch said:

Which tier do Gamdias Astrape 650B and Aerocool Kcas 650G belong to? 

The Aerocool Kcas I've heard of, which is kinda low end.  Not sure which tier the G/M belongs in.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be that high end unless it's a completely different platform.

No idea about the Gamdias.

15 minutes ago, Joloch said:

I don't know if I should change my 4 year (but still working like a champ)  Strike-X 600.

Unless youre planning a major upgrade I'd just run with it.

I want a new build with Ryzen 5 1600 and a RX 570. Currently I have a FX 6300 and a R7 260X. 

4 minutes ago, Joloch said:

I want a new build with Ryzen 5 1600 and a RX 570. Currently I have a FX 6300 and a R7 260X. 

Would you like a new PSU or are you going to run it off of hamster energy

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

Cue the "he's squidward" meme but with FSP.  

lol, jokes aside it feels like we could use another tier.  

Its not a joke tbh. Japanese quality then all Chinese made junk with fake Japanese capacitors(according to Jonnyguru).

If i had known it was all fake Japanese caoacitors i would have bought the $1000 MIJ instead of my trash Seasonic X850 Gold.

When jonnyguru says cwt is better than seasonic thats when you know everything but Murata Made in Japan is shit(not joking).

6 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Its not a joke tbh. Japanese quality then all Chinese made junk with fake Japanese capacitors(according to Jonnyguru).

If i had known it was all fake Japanese caoacitors i would have bought the $1000 MIJ instead of my trash Seasonic X850 Gold.

When jonnyguru says cwt is better than seasonic thats when you know everything but Murata Made in Japan is shit(not joking).

"Murata > CWT > SeaSonic" - Pretty sure @jonnyGURU said that once, sometime from 2013-2018

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

"Murata > CWT > SeaSonic" - Pretty sure @jonnyGURU said that once, sometime from 2013-2018

I mean Murata is made in Japan so its basically not the same planet as all the Chinese stuff.

He definitely endorsed CWT over Seasonic trash(ill still take Seasonic over CWT any day personally) there but basically disappeared after admitting that he doesnt like to piss off the Chinese manufacturers hes somehow beholden to.

I mean i personally wouldnt give a shit if i was in it to help people pick a PSU, which is apparently exactly what the site that bears his name(but isnt his) isnt for!

I actually thought his site was legit until he talked to me in that thread. Then i realized its pandering useless bullshit like the rest and not to trust a word he says.

6 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

I mean Murata is made in Japan so its basically not the same planet as all the Chinese stuff.

He definitely endorsed CWT over Seasonic trash(ill still take Seasonic over CWT any day personally) there but basically disappeared after admitting that he doesnt like to piss off the Chinese manufacturers hes somehow beholden to.

I mean i personally wouldnt give a shit if i was in it to help people pick a PSU, which is apparently exactly what the site that bears his name(but isnt his) isnt for!

I actually thought his site was legit until he talked to me in that thread. Then i realized its pandering useless bullshit like the rest and not to trust a word he says.

SeaSonic perks:

• Good design team

CWT perks: 

• Better soldering
  • In house PCB-A
  • Higher production volume

If you have your own engineers, you'd use CWT.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

36 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Would you like a new PSU or are you going to run it off of hamster energy

That' why i asked if it's worth to get the Aerocool Kcas 650G or the Gamdias Astrape 650B, or if my old Aerocool Strike-X 600 it's still enough for a Ryzen upgrade. 

Another option I've considered is the Evga 650 GD. 

13 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Those capacitors can be made of gold for all I care.  Not paying +$1000 for a PSU. :P

(I get what you're saying though)

13 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

SeaSonic perks:

• Good design team

CWT perks: 

• Better soldering
  • In house PCB-A
  • Higher production volume

If you have your own engineers, you'd use CWT.

Well if you read his site youd think the Seasonic Prime had the best soldering aside from Murata.

29 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

You shouldn't judge electronics based on the country they were manufactured in - simply judge components for what they are; how they perform and whether they're made from good components.

I could fly to Japan right now and create a PSU factory there. I would design them to output 140mV ripple on all rails and feed 11.5V on the +12V rail, and I'd even choose low temp tolerance FETs with high chance of overheating. The fact that this PSU would be made in Japan alone doesn't magically make it great.

When you look at the Cooler Master MIJ, you can see that the soldering and component selection is great, but it lacks the performance of other flagships. We don't care which country it's from, we care if it's actually good - and it's great in build quality, but not that great in electrical performance. "Not that great" in this context means "On par, or worse, with cheaper power supplies".

If you don't mind technical jargon or are willing to learn the technicalities, you can read the review by Aris on Tom's Hardware - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterwatt-maker-1200-mij-psu,4963.html

He makes the most detailed PSU reviews on the world, which make reviews on JonnyGURU look pretty basic in comparison.

4 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

You shouldn't judge electronics based on the country they were manufactured in - simply judge components for what they are; how they perform and whether they're made from good components.

I could fly to Japan right now and create a PSU factory there. I would design them to output 140mV ripple on all rails and feed 11.5V on the +12V rail, and I'd even choose low temp tolerance FETs with high chance of overheating. The fact that this PSU would be made in Japan does nothing to rectify bad performance and component quality.

When you look at the Cooler Master MIJ, you can see that the soldering and component selection is great, but it lacks the performance of other flagships. We don't care which country it's from, we care if it's actually good - and it's great in build quality, but not that great in electrical performance. "Not that great" in this context means "On par, or worse, with cheaper power supplies".

If you don't mind technical jargon or are willing to learn the technicalities, you can read the review by Aris on Tom's Hardware - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-masterwatt-maker-1200-mij-psu,4963.html

He makes the most detailed PSU reviews on the world, which make reviews on JonnyGURU look pretty basic in comparison.

Who is "we"? I care where stuff is made and have been avoiding anything made in China for almost 20 years for ethical reasons.

I probs knew the technicalities before you were born but feel free to condescend to me.

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Who is "we"? I care where stuff is made and have been avoiding anything made in China for almost 20 years for ethical reasons.

Then how are you using electronics right now? :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Well then, throw out everything in your computer.

Chinese factories are getting really ehical.

"we" is JonnyGURU/Most of the PSU community

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, Amazonsucks said:

By paying more for bwtter stuff. Simple.

Chances are, there's something chinese that snuck into your made in x product.  The US in particular just doesn't make a lot of stuff, they do assemble it though.

1 minute ago, LienusLateTips said:

Well then, throw out everything in your computer.

Chinese factories are getting really ehical.

"we" is JonnyGURU/Most of the PSU community

Um the only things in my PC made in china are the PCBs and the PSU(Seasonic X850). The rest of it is Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines and even USA RAM.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Chances are, there's something chinese that snuck into your made in x product.  The US in particular just doesn't make a lot of stuff, they do assemble it though.

I realize that but i still avoid it whenever i can.

1 minute ago, Amazonsucks said:

Um the only things in my PC made in china are the PCBs and the PSU(Seasonic X850). The rest of it is Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines and even USA RAM.

Factories in THAILAND are more ethical than Chinese ones?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

4 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

"We" in this context are power supply reviewers, curators of this tier list and (I assume!) the majority of consumers who shop for a power supply.

PSU reviewers rate power supplies based on their performance, safety, component quality and build quality - they have no regard for the country of origin.

For example, notice how the better reviewers judge things like capacitors based on their particular series and parameters. For example, they will note the capacitor is a Samxon GF, 2200uF, 105C, 2000h lifetime. They will make their judgment from those parameters, as well as the diameter (helps with heat dissipation), the position inside the power supply, and factors like whether it's suffocated under the cables or free-standing (also helps with heat).

Less experienced reviewers may just look at that cap, note "the caps are Chinese" and end there, without taking time to check the details. For example, if the PSU used a Japanese-brand capacitor, but one with terrible specifications that made it overheat or be otherwise unfit for the operation, it would be a much worse thing than the previous cap.

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

"We" in this context are power supply reviewers, curators of this tier list and (I assume!) the majority of consumers who shop for a power supply.

PSU reviewers rate power supplies based on their performance, safety, component quality and build quality - they have no regard for the country of origin.

For example, notice how the better reviewers judge things like capacitors based on their particular series and parameters. For example, they will note the capacitor is a Samxon GF, 2200uF, 105C, 2000h lifetime. They will make their judgment from those parameters, as well as the diameter (helps with heat dissipation), the position inside the power supply, and factors like whether it's suffocated under the cables or free-standing (also helps with heat).

Less experienced reviewers may just look at that cap, note "the caps are Chinese" and end there, without taking time to check the details. For example, if the PSU used a Japanese-brand capacitor, but one with terrible specifications that made it overheat or be otherwise unfit for the operation, it would be a much worse thing than the previous cap.

Obviously if its trash it doesnt matter wherever its made. Japanese electronics tend to last forever(consoles i bought as a kid 25 years ago) vs garbage tier Chinese made Xbox360s etc.

Consumers are 99.999% clueless(yes i used 5 9s on purpose and if you know better than consumer level stuff youll get the 5 9s joke).

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

That's fair, and it's fair to want quality/ethically made products.  It's just oh-so difficult to be 100 percent free of that especially in our consumer society.

Very true especially nowadays in the Amazon age of lowest bidder trash but i still try.

8 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Well if you read his site youd think the Seasonic Prime had the best soldering aside from Murata.

Oh?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=524

When you have a wireless design, it's easy to get near perfect soldering because you're relying on a wave solder machine and the human error factor is removed.  That said, you still need a perfect mix of elements in your solder (over time the solder contaminates and likewise you lose some of your metals, like silver for example, so it's very important to keep your solder mix analyzed and the machine cleaned out regularly) and the temperature needs to be perfect.

Even when you have a wireless design, some reworking may be necessary.  If a fixture doesn't hold a component properly, etc.  It still requires a human to set up the larger components and humans aren't infallible.

Any PSU with wiring, like a fixed cable or semi-modular, is going to have a good deal of hand soldering.  And hand soldering is hardly ever perfect.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have some sloppy hand soldering than a wave solder that's too cold and can cause components to pop off the PCB after repeated heat/power cycles.