Nintendo announces Nintendo Classic Mini: NES, a mini NES with 30 games compatible with modern set ups $59.99 MSRP

AlexGoesHigh

30 games? All nes and snes games combined would be like 1gb. nty

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

2 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

Well, given how basically everything comes with a USB-to-mains adapter nowadays, I would assume this was an effort to reduce costs by simply allowing the user to use one they already have.

Most people nowadays have a phone or a tablet that uses a USB-to-mains adapter. Why give them more stuff they don't need?

Sure, there will be the odd one or two that'll be left out in the cold because they don't have one of their own, but they're still cheap enough for a properly built one.

Until you get the guy using a fast charger or multi device charger with high amperage. or someone using a 12v 5a usb brick. They exist and unless nintendo built a sturdy rectifier into this (which I doubt) it wil blow it up.

There are just too many cheap/high rated bricks going around + uninformed consumers to make it practical for nintendo to do this. While there is cost savings on not including it I'm sure the bad PR over blown mini-nes will not help with sales.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

So it's a USB-powered device? Then I can use any of the like 5-10 AC-to-USB 5V/1-2A wall wart plugs floating around that came with my phones, tablets and other misc stuff to run the thing, or power it off a spare USB 3.0 port or something.

A plain USB cable (probably Mini-USB on the console's end) takes up less space and WASTES LESS materials and space than a conventional power brick, which means they can pack more units in a case and thus more units in a cargo container than they would otherwise if they were forced to bundle a bulky power brick (which is also likely to just be left floating around the house if the owner already has one of the damn things).

When the New 3DS/XL was launched, the fact there was no power brick bundled in meant the boxes were MUCH smaller and fit the console much closer, meaning they can pack more units in a single box and thus get more units out to sale a lot faster and cheaper than if they wasted space putting a power brick in with each one.

Definitely getting one. Some of my favorite games of all time and it's officially made and licensed by Nintendo. Not some knock off brand. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Nintendo releasing a product I might be interested in? What universe have I crossed into?

53 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

30 games? All nes and snes games combined would be like 1gb. nty

yeah its bullshit 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In seriousness though, Nintendo doesn't own the distribution rights to all the third party games released on their systems anymore. It's like why not every title on their systems is on the Virtual Console.

And it's not worth putting it up there only to have some no name who happens to own the IP try and sue.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

In seriousness though, Nintendo doesn't own the distribution rights to all the third party games released on their systems anymore. It's like why not every title on their systems is on the Virtual Console.

And it's not worth putting it up there only to have some no name who happens to own the IP try and sue.

soooo... buy the controller, 3D print the case and set up a raspberry pi to function as it with the entire library of NES games downloaded from coolrom?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It has to do with royalties and permission. Many studios closed its doors, or got bought fully or partially by other publishers/studios and that makes things complicated.

There's way more than 30 first party NES titles worthy though, that's surely not it (Though I wouldn't put it past Nintendo)

But yeah back on topic: Get like 10 USD for a raspberry PI and a cheap usb stick. Back up all your NES and SNES titles using one of the consoles that dump games into ROMS and there you have it.

Seriously I wouldn't mind paying Nintendo for their thingie if they were reasonable on the pricing (This hardware isn't worth more than maybe 30 bucks) and games (read above)

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

There's way more than 30 first party NES titles worthy though, that's surely not it (Though I wouldn't put it past Nintendo)

True. Maybe there is an expansion port for more game packs... but all that might eat Virtual Console games sales, which I am sure Nintendo wants to keep and sale on every generation console.

But yeah back on topic: Get like 10 USD for a raspberry PI and a cheap usb stick. Back up all your NES and SNES titles using one of the consoles that dump games into ROMS and there you have it.

Seriously I wouldn't mind paying Nintendo for their thingie if they were reasonable on the pricing (This hardware isn't worth more than maybe 30 bucks) and games (read above)

but then you need to have a genuine original controller.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

True. Maybe there is an expansion port for more game packs... but all that might eat Virtual Console games sales, which I am sure Nintendo wants to keep and sale on every generation console.

Well that's a good pro those are kind of collectible, but tbh I prefer the rounded one on the last NES form factor anyway

NES-101-Controller.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

you can buy this ones's controller and get an adapter (which already exists)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

For just a little bit more money you could build a RetroPie and play way more than just 30 NES games.  It doesn't make sense to buy this if you are someone with any technical know how IMO

New info!

• It has no internet or external storage, so no store to get more games. Still a good deal compared to WiiU Virtual Console NES games (they are 4.99$ US each)
  • The NES controller works with the WiiU.

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

I have a feeling that many modder will buy this, and try to either hack it, or stick a mini computer and run an emulator and use the controllers.

Since I barely played any Nintendo games I will look into this.

I want one just so I could open it up and see what makes it tick, it has to have some sort of OS and internal storage and I don't think Nintendo really put any effort in securing any of it. So hacking one to play all NES games could be possible. Wouldn't be surprised at all if all it was is an ARM board with maybe 64MB of NAND, that would be very easy to work on.

"I wont buy this", said no one that I know.

PrKg8.gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, Technous285 said:

When the New 3DS/XL was launched, the fact there was no power brick bundled in meant the boxes were MUCH smaller and fit the console much closer, meaning they can pack more units in a single box and thus get more units out to sale a lot faster and cheaper than if they wasted space putting a power brick in with each one.

To be perfectly honest I would have preferred my original 3DS had come with a USB cable to charge it rather than the AC adaptor. Preferably with a standard connector on the 3DS end but even if not, just a USB cable so I could charge it anywhere. Firstly because it doesn't matter that it'd be just USB, I usually charge it next to where my phone is anyways. Also because if I'm going somewhere a full AC adaptor for every other device is unnecessary bulk.

Even this mini-NES thing. It's probably the sort of thing that'll live under a second TV or something, the fact that it uses USB isn't an issue there IMO. But at the same time it could be pretty cool to take a super compact NES with you when you go on holidays or something. If it's USB powered I'm taking something to charge my phone anyways, so that's one less thing I have to pack.

Would it be nice if they also included a power brick? Well sure, I guess. More items in the box for the same price is obviously not a bad thing. But when I get a USB wall plug with a new phone or whatever these days I put it in my bucket of USB wall plugs. It's the same with micro-USB cables and cheapo earbuds. I suspect I'm not the only one. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

11 hours ago, Rune said:

Nintendo releasing a product I might be interested in? What universe have I crossed into?

Hyrule?  lol

Eh.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR