Polish magazines RX480 benchmarks leaked - performance under 970

d0nsen
Go to solution Solved by Trixanity,

Well, it has been officially confirmed. zMeul has blocked half of the LTT forum members because they've proven him wrong. What an exciting debate culture, isn't it?

It's kinda like when as a kid, you'd play with your friend and when he was about to lose he ripped the controller out of your hands or shut off the Playstation so you couldn't win. That's the kinda guy he is.

Also, while he won't be able to read this: common sense dictates that if you feel like one person acts like an asshole, then that person is probably an asshole. If you find that everyone acts like an asshole, you're probably the asshole.

I'll let that one sink in.

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

On one hand, I can't wait for tomorrow when the NDA is lifted.

On the other hand, it is pretty funny seeing all the AMD fanboys go "oh my God it is amazing! AMD are so good!" every time a "leaked" benchmark shows the 480 performing well, and "totally fake guys! It doesn't use the proper drivers! Just wait until drivers make it better!" as soon as benchmarks shows it not being as good as the hype-train wants to make it out to be.

Still betting on the 480 being between the 390 and 390X in terms of performance.

Yep, that's why it's best to assume all leaks are fake until proven otherwise, and I agree with the idea of around 390-390x performance since that would be a reasonable improvement for a die change

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, why are they not using an i7-6700K? This should alleviate bottlenecks.

They're probably trying to replicate a "realistic" gamer rig. 

Even though the Core i7 has superior frame time thanks to HT. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

29 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Oh nice, so it's $209 for a 24" 1080 144hz Freesync monitor.

Darn nice budget monitor with nice features.

Yeah, I'll probably buy one in a couple weeks if the 480 performs as advertised (at least 390, possibly 390X/980 when oc'd.)  My 770 is getting long in the tooth, but  not at the $420 for a 1070 right now. Especially when I need a new monitor, and i can get a 480 and that monitor for the same price as a 1070. 

1. this thread is just being spammed by fanboys of both sides :P 

2. Seems so fucking fake...as many of you said, a 380X beating a 970 is basically impossible, even in DX12 titles with everything in AMDs favor it's unlikely. Secondly, how can the 380X be better than the RX480? The 970 being better is fair enough but holy fuck, 380X being better just doesn't make sense.

3.Wait 24 hours and all the real benchies would be out. 

4. Magazines are usually completely biased so...let's just not trust em :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

snip

BRkm0vw_700wa_0.gif

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

They're probably trying to replicate a "realistic" gamer rig. 

Even though the Core i7 has superior frame time thanks to HT. 

frame time? Say what.......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Yeah, I'll probably buy one in a couple weeks if the 480 performs as advertised (at least 390, possibly 390X/980 when oc'd.)  My 770 is getting long in the tooth, but  not at the $420 for a 1070 right now. Especially when I need a new monitor, and i can get a 480 and that monitor for the same price as a 1070. 

Get a Nixeus Vue24 like I have instead. It has a wider freesync range. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

frame time? Say what.......

a CPU has to make a work order for a core but this process is not perfect hens HT to fill in the gaps. I think this is what he mean by time frame since a HT CPU can do more work in the same time than a CPU that has the same amount of cores but no HT

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Get a Nixeus Vue24 like I have instead. It has a wider freesync range. 

I think AOC released a driver to fix the 48hz floor, so they both should be 30-144hz range, and I really like the stand on the AOC model.  Hopefully the 480 doesn't drop below 50fps at 1080p often enough, soon enough, to make it a problem. 

43 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, why are they not using an i7-6700K? This should alleviate bottlenecks.

Who said it would have 32 ROPS? This is the likely config, 2304:144:64 (Stream processors: TMUs: ROPs)

The latest GPUZ screenshots that's been updated for Polaris shows the 480 has 32 ROPs. Techpowerup also lists the 470 as having 24 ROPs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2848/radeon-rx-480

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-GPUZ.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2861/radeon-rx-470

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

The latest GPUZ screenshots that's been updated for Polaris shows the 480 has 32 ROPs. Techpowerup also lists the 470 as having 24 ROPs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2848/radeon-rx-480

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-GPUZ.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2861/radeon-rx-470

That makes no sense though!!!!!! Ahh!! We don't know anything until tomorrow. Alright, i'm going to bed. It's 1am.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I gotta question World of Tanks as a metric. Granted it is far more popular in eastern europe than it is here but it only JUST got support for DX11 and it has many performance foibles that negate using it for an objective benchmark. Heck networking issues can cause havoc with its framerate. Multithreading is still nascent as the audio is the only part legitimately disparate. It's not robust enough to provide clean numbers. 

I look forward to published numbers we can all more easily get behind. 

10 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

a CPU has to make a work order for a core but this process is not perfect hens HT to fill in the gaps. I think this is what he mean by time frame since a HT CPU can do more work in the same time than a CPU that has the same amount of cores but no HT

Yeah close enough. HT on an i7 allows it to do more work and do work faster than a non HT processor such as an i5. This also gives the impression that the i5 "bottlenecks" GPUs because the i7 is ahead with frame rates. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So it's still faster than 980 , which is good.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 hours ago, Kobz360 said:

Oh boy.. this is gonna be anotha one of "those" threads. The card comes out in like a day lol

it could be launching in three minutes and this same shitshow would still be going on. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Waiting for Jayztwocents' benchmarks.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

20 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

So it's still faster than 980 , which is good.

I think the biggest flaw here is the magazine saying the 380X and 970 is OCed tells us nothing about their clocks...maybe the 970 was OCed at 1600Mhz with the 380X at 1400mhz...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Let me get this straight.

The one leak that shows the 480 performing under a GTX 970 (with the discrepancy of an OC'ed 380X beating an OC'ed 970), you choose to believe.

Yet, the countless other leaks that show the 480 handedly beating the 970 and lining up with the 390X with little to no performance discrepancies, you choose to disregard.

Despite Polaris being a node shrink & AMD showing that a two 480s beat one 1080 (something 380Xs or even 390s couldn't ever possibly achieve), you continue to cherry pick this one.

Are you serious right now? What kind of fanboyism...

Three words:

zMeul.

Ye ole' train

29 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Are you serious right now? What kind of fanboyism...

of what, mate?

I'm basing my comment on months and months of data that places RX480 exactly where the polish magazine puts it - and I've said it many months ago, way before all these leaks existed

but we'll have the definitive answer to that question soon enough

---

here's something else: https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1610538-1-1.html

72wFhzs.png

5 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, this doesn't seem like a proper benchmark, so I'd ignore it. I am from Poland so I understand everything there, and it's flawed.

3. The testbench CPU is an 6600K, not an i7, to prevent any potential bottlenecks

At same clock speed, there's literally no difference between a 6600k and a 6700k in games.

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

no it's not

50 is just like everything between 30 and 60 - you will have tearing and stutter all over; you either cap at 30 or 60, if you can

Anyone who thinks there isnt a big difference between 40 and 50 fps is mentally challenged to the point of being relegated to console peasantry.

6 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

At same clock speed, there's literally no difference between a 6600k and a 6700k in games.

Why do you have to open this up now? here?  :/:D

There is a growing number of games that do benefit from the extra threads of the i7.  No, I will not source it.  ;)

I don't think he meant you can't game with an i5.  I believe he was referring to a less than optimal test bench being used.

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Why do you have to open this up now? here?  :/:D

There is a growing number of games that do benefit from the extra threads of the i7.  No, I will not source it.  ;)

You're still better off disabling hyperthreading to be able to gain a higher clock speed for 90%+ of games.

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

That 970 is overclocked by 37% on the core

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

snip

do you have by any change a slide that show fps and not just %

4 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

You're still better off disabling hyperthreading to be able to gain a higher clock speed for 90%+ of games.

That 90% includes games from a decade ago.  I have plenty of games that do in fact use all my i5 core threads.  Games that may no be that popular even, Anno 2205 (iirc) did use all four cores. 

Like I said, the number is growing.

Just repeating this because I added it in after:  I don't think he meant you can't game with an i5.  I believe he was referring to a less than optimal test bench being used.

2 minutes ago, kelvindeschutter said:

do you have by any change a slide that show fps and not just %

ask the leakers, I'm just the courier