Polish magazines RX480 benchmarks leaked - performance under 970

d0nsen
Go to solution Solved by Trixanity,

Well, it has been officially confirmed. zMeul has blocked half of the LTT forum members because they've proven him wrong. What an exciting debate culture, isn't it?

It's kinda like when as a kid, you'd play with your friend and when he was about to lose he ripped the controller out of your hands or shut off the Playstation so you couldn't win. That's the kinda guy he is.

Also, while he won't be able to read this: common sense dictates that if you feel like one person acts like an asshole, then that person is probably an asshole. If you find that everyone acts like an asshole, you're probably the asshole.

I'll let that one sink in.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That's still way too much for what the VAT and other costs should add.

Usually, 1 USD = 1 Euro is pretty accurate when taking the VAT and other additional costs into consideration. Now we got "1 USD = 1 Euro, plus another 15%".

Taxes and other expenses should only cover ~45 euro out of the extra ~120 euro AMD are asking.

I don't want to say money grab but... It totally smells like price gouging from AMD.

7 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

It's funny because $199 is like €180 when converted directly. What's the €50 about, just taxing?

We EU guys get absolutely buttfucked when it comes to taxes and computer parts, or electronics in general.

I'll note that my estimates are a bit pessimistic. If we're somewhat lucky, you can probably subtract €25 from the 4 GB and €25-40 from the 8 GB.

I arrived at those prices because I've found that looking at US prices and then looking at local for a product category, one can deduce what prices will look like on newly announced products with only US prices listed. So my excellent (/s) system generally gives me a good idea of what to expect.

I suspect that the EU is getting overcharged at launch because of uncertain stock numbers (even for AMD) so they prioritize the US market and they therefore have the better prices. While the picture i posted earlier was from Germany, it doesn't necessarily paint an accurate picture of stock. We might look at more reasonable prices three months down the line when things have stabilized a bit but perhaps not.

I'm still uncertain if it's the hardware vendors dictating the price gouging or if it's somewhere in the supply chain the prices go up (or both). If I recall correctly, AMD did not make any extra money off the Bitcoin rush that saw the AMD cards skyrocket in price since it was retailers jacking the prices up to make money off their limited stock.

So I won't point fingers at either vendor right now. I'm used to the EU getting rammed for no good reason and therefore it's no surprise that we won't see €200 cards to me.

What about shipping costs and importation fees to get said RX480's into Europe. Would that have anything to do with the additional cost?

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Technically the UK is still in the EU,But that uncertainty has really hurt the Stirling Pound, I think that if they ultimately do remain that it could restore some value to the Pound. But if they do invoke Article 50, the Pound will be worthless for many years.

I know all that, I follow the news very closely as Ireland will be very badly affected.

A lot of our trade has to go to the UK, and through them, so if they do invoke Article 50 we get shafted on trade a lot; and our market is tiny.

Already sucks, I just hope it doesn't get much worse. :(

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Technically the UK is still in the EU, and hasn't invoked Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty at least yet. If any of the future PMs don't invoke it. The UK would still technically be part of the EU. They could hold a referendum to basically say whether or not they will actually invoke it. I think what this vote does more so, just starts talks about maybe actually invoking Article 50. I know I'm not a Brit or a European but still if they leave it would be catastrophic for the world's economy under the guise of freedom and democracy when the UK has both of those. I know the EU isn't a very democratic thing, but at least it does try to have good intentions. Even though it's not perfect. But that uncertainty has really hurt the Stirling Pound, I think that if they ultimately do remain that it could restore some value to the Pound. But if they do invoke Article 50, the Pound will be worthless for many years.

I'm quite sure things will level out after the world recovers from the results of the referendum and that things aren't as bad as they look now even if the UK goes through with it. Like always, the market overreacts to even tiny setbacks. Horrendous fear mongering. It really shows the weakness in the current economic system.

I think what's worse is that the EU doesn't seem to have learned anything from this debacle. Right now they're throwing a tantrum and trying to 'punish' the UK by doing shit like removing English as an EU language which only hurts 3/4 of the member states who don't speak German or French. No offense but France and Germany really need to fuck off sometimes. And the whole Strasbourg ordeal needs to go away right now; it's stupid.

They should instead try to fix the problems. Like actually making things democratic and more transparent. The EU is utter bullshit right now and that's coming from someone who actually sees the merits of the EU. The EU in its current form is at least half of an abomination.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'll note that my estimates are a bit pessimistic. If we're somewhat lucky, you can probably subtract €25 from the 4 GB and €25-40 from the 8 GB.

We already have retailers putting the cards up. No need to guess what the cards will cost if the numbers we got right now are accurate (about 300 euro for the 8GB model).

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

So I won't point fingers at either vendor right now. I'm used to the EU getting rammed for no good reason and therefore it's no surprise that we won't see €200 cards to me.

But it's not just "oh the cards aren't 200 euro like expected". They are 300 euro. That's an insane markup. It's about 50% on top of the higher price we were expecting. The difference between MSRP + Europe markup is even bigger than the GTX 1080's MSRP + Europe markup + low stock price gouging.

8 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

What about shipping costs and importation fees to get said RX480's into Europe. Would that have anything to do with the additional cost?

When you account shipping, import fees and all that, the price is still ~30% higher than expected.

1 hour ago, IGJoe2192 said:

The cards are made in Asia(China most likely). It will have shipping cost to the US as well.

Ahahah?

And people were shouting all around the 480 will beat the 1080 in sli.

we can officially say RIP to AMD when it comes to high end after this generation!!

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

We already have retailers putting the cards up. No need to guess what the cards will cost if the numbers we got right now are accurate (about 300 euro for the 8GB model).

But it's not just "oh the cards aren't 200 euro like expected". They are 300 euro. That's an insane markup. It's about 50% on top of the higher price we were expecting. The difference between MSRP + Europe markup is even bigger than the GTX 1080's MSRP + Europe markup + low stock price gouging.

When you account shipping, import fees and all that, the price is still ~30% higher than expected.

Not all places have put prices up because of the NDA being in place. I'm wondering if many of these sites who put prices up early participate in the gouging (aka taking a bigger cut). With that being said, you're probably right but I'm still crossing my fingers that the reputable shops will price "correctly".

But as I mentioned in my post: who are to blame for these prices? There doesn't seem to be a clear answer to that and we likely won't get one.

Edit: had to clarify that I meant they DO participate and not that they don't :) My mistake.

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

Ahahah?

And people were shouting all around the 480 will beat the 1080 in sli.

we can officially say RIP to AMD when it comes to high end after this generation!!

Why you are so happy? Without AMD to compete, Nvidia will only jack up the price of their cards. You think you will benefit from that?

Because i find it funny how all the AMD fan boys kept crying about how the 480 will destroy nvidea despite so many sources saying it will be a weak card. 

I also wonder if the RX470 and RX460 will be released on the 29th/have their NDAs lifted on the 29th. I'm much more interested in those.

Single slot blower cooler for the RX460 pls.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

Because i find it funny how all the AMD fan boys kept crying about how the 480 will destroy nvidea despite so many sources saying it will be a weak card. 

So you are Nvidia fanboy.

6 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Are you serious? There has never been any question that the RX 480 clocks in a fair bit below the 1070, so it has never been hypothesized that it would compete with Nvidia's current Pascal products nor would it destroy anything; I think that's something you made up in your own mind. What it can and will do is eat up market share and sell in much bigger numbers than either of those cards but that's solely because of price.

5 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I also wonder if the RX470 and RX460 will be released on the 29th/have their NDAs lifted on the 29th. I'm much more interested in those.

Single slot blower cooler for the RX460 pls.

It's up in the air right now. Some say all cards will launch on the 29th but haven't seen any pictures of RX 470 or 460 in warehouses, so that's a bit ominous. If it does not launch with the RX 480, they'll probably launch sometime in July. 

I'll pretty much guarantee that the NDA for all of Polaris will lift on the 29th including RX 460 and 470.

Hell ya i go with whatever company thats owning. As if i would want to keep hardwares of a dying company.

38 minutes ago, Deli said:

Why you are so happy? Without AMD to compete, Nvidia will only jack up the price of their cards. You think you will benefit from that?

and they'll sell to?!?

they already pulled that MSRP / FE bullcrap and people aren't happy

I'd rather not play games than sell a kidney for a GTX xy50

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

and they'll sell to?!?

they already pulled that MSRP / FE bullcrap and people aren't happy

I'd rather not play games than sell a kidney for a GTX xy50

I might use a better word. Without AMD, Nvidia can "dictate" the prices.

PC gaming is getting really big now. Many people will sell their kidneys to get a GTX xy50 if there is no other choice. :)

1 minute ago, Deli said:

PC gaming is getting really big now. Many people will sell their kidneys to get a GTX xy50 if there is no other choice. :)

no they won't

and nVidia won't dictate shit

there will still be available those console peasantries or go old school, table top

4 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

At same clock speed, there's literally no difference between a 6600k and a 6700k in games.

I won't google search for you. Example: Crysis 3.

There is a difference. Just not in every game. And the i7 is necessary to eliminate POTENTIAL bottlenecks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Deli said:

AMD's IP and patents would be bought up by one of the big tech companies/consortiums and it would be business as usual. Nvidia will never be banging out graphic cards without competition.

Also, everyone needs to calm down in this thread. A single 480 will be beating 1070 SLI once AMD releases the Raja Smoking-Cigar-Edition magic drivers. supply won't run out on the first day and 8GB reference 480's won't go above $275USD, or 60 degrees under load while overclocked to 1600Mhz. All the leaks have to be fake and completely wrong because the 480 is premium VR performance.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

10 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

3. The testbench CPU is an 6600K, not an i7, to prevent any potential bottlenecks

How is this a problem? Hyperthreading matters fuck all for gaming. The only games where you'll ever see a hyperthreading improvement is BF3, The Secret World and Crysis 3, because of the generation 1 tesselation.

Meanwhile, HT chips overclock 0.2 ghz less on average than an i5.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

How is this a problem? Hyperthreading matters fuck all for gaming. The only games where you'll ever see a hyperthreading improvement is BF2, The Secret World and Crysis 3, because of the generation 1 tesselation.

Meanwhile, HT chips overclock 0.2 ghz less on average than an i5.

I rest my case. *drops mic*

EDIT: Do not spread misinformation next time. Googling first does not hurt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

48 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I won't google search for you. Example: Crysis 3.

There is a difference.

Crysis 3 used generation 1 tesselation as I said above, where the CPU handled the tesselation rather than the GPU, that's why you'll see hyperthreading benefit. (HT only helps with highly predictable or repeatable workloads, which don't exist in gaming at all, apart from generation 1 tesselation and lazy developers who copy/paste geometry and AI.)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Crysis 3 used generation 1 tesselation as I said above, where the CPU handled the tesselation rather than the GPU, that's why you'll see hyperthreading benefit. (HT only helps with highly predictable or repeatable workloads, which don't exist in gaming at all, apart from generation 1 tesselation and lazy developers who copy/paste geometry and AI.)

Just watch the damn video. 10FPS difference in most games, in some there's little to no difference like AC:Unity, but in some like FarCry 4 in the video, there's even up to 30 FPS difference.

TL;DR - Again, don't spread misinformation on the forum please. Research first. Benchmarks do not lie, and definitely not benchmarks from Digital Foundry.

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Just watch the damn video. 10FPS difference in most games, in some there's little to no difference like AC:Unity, but in some like FarCry 4 in the video, there's even up to 30 FPS difference.

That's not attributable to hyperthreading (unless it's an Nvidia SLi system) but rather to cache. Notice how the games where you see a benefit are open world games. More geometry in cache = lower bottleneck to the GPU.