BadTunnel: a vulnerability that affect every windows since 95

jos

0901a0a.jpg

A security researcher has uncovered a serious vulnerability that affects every version of Microsoft’s Windows operating system from Windows 95 to Windows 10. This vulnerability has a massive security impact – probably the widest impact in the history of Windows. 

Microsoft released a fix for the vulnerability on Tuesday in security bulletin MS16-077. Users of unsupported Windows versions such as Windows XP should disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

The nuts and bolts of how the vulnerability works haven’t been revealed but it has been described as a technique for NetBIOS-spoofing across networks that bypasses firewalls and NAT (Network Address Translation) devices.

In other words, it can expose you to attackers who aren’t on your network, and your firewalls won’t save you, unless you block UDP on port 137 between your network and the internet.

According to Yu, it relies on a chain of elements including “a transport layer protocol, an application layer protocol, a few specific usage of application protocol by the operating system, and several protocol implementations used by firewalls and NAT devices.”

Microsoft’s bulletin appears to break the final link in the chain by fixing a vulnerability in WPAD (Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol) that was first reported in 2007.

WPAD is a way for computers to discover web browser configuration files automatically by searching specific addresses on a computer’s local network. An attacker who could find a way to occupy one of those addresses, or to change the addresses being searched, could supply their own configuration files and instruct the victim’s browser to route traffic through a man-in-the-middle attack.

Yu plans to reveal the full gory details of BadTunnel in a presentation at the upcoming BlackHat conference:

NetBIOS stands for Network basic input output system and is used in Windows for its file and printer sharing. It provides services related to the session layer allowing applications on separate computers to communicate. NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) sends the NetBIOS protocol over the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or the User Datagram Protocol (UDP). 

• UDP port 137 ( used for name services

0rSqt.gif

Source: Link

3 minutes ago, jos said:

Paranoia mode engaged.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

If it has been out there for years, we would all be infected. I could not care less. :D

What's with the guy's picture lol

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Meanwhile at my PC, ten minutes after reading this:

screen-shot-2015-01-09-at-12-27-11-pm-1.png

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I wonder if this security hole was in anyway related to all the years of ransomware hitting people...

0901a0a.jpg  0901a0a2.jpg  0901a0a3.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yeah that whole thing just went straight over my head. Anyone care to explain how this networking stuff works in plain English?

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

50 minutes ago, EmeraldKiwi said:

Yeah that whole thing just went straight over my head. Anyone care to explain how this networking stuff works in plain English?

I'll give it a go. Although no promises. It's hard to translate technical stuff to English without using technical terms.

I'll put all the background info and most of the technical stuff in this box so you can read the TL;DR more easily.

Spoiler

NetBIOS is basically like a DNS (Domain Name System) - only locally on your LAN (Local Area Network) instead. It translates names to IP addresses (eg DNS translates linustechtips.com to its IP address 104.20.0.11). It allows you to more easily find and discover machines on your network (among other things). For example, when you setup Windows (or other Operating Systems) you'll be asked to give your computer a name. That is (at least partially) used to construct a NetBIOS (or other protocol) name, so that your machine is easily found on the network as "EmeraldKiwi-PC" instead of 192.168.1.29.

At this point NetBIOS is a legacy protocol (it was developed in 1983) on Windows. Windows has switched to LLMNR (newer protocol that also supports IPv6 for example) by default since Vista but NetBIOS is still used as a fallback (when LLMNR fails, it reverts to NetBIOS) because tons of (old) devices don't support LLMNR. Without a name resolution system things would be awful, as you can imagine. You'd have to type IP addresses every time you need to go a website or to access a device on your network.

Apparently there is a vulnerability somewhere. Normally (I think - been a while since I read up on it) you wouldn't be able to use NetBIOS across networks. So the fact that an attacker can bypass not only NAT (NAT usually hides your real IP address, especially on consumer networks; sort of a safety feature for consumers and makes it harder to attack your network) and it also bypasses your firewall, which usually blocks all traffic except common applications such as http (web browsing) and other necessary traffic. NetBIOS is necessary traffic, so it would be allowed by default.

If I'm understanding this correctly: this exploit tricks your machine into allowing the attacker to (among other things) change settings on your machine allowing him to eventually attack you in multiple different ways including re-directing you to malware sites, phishing sites. Or in short: a man-in-the-middle attack. The info is still very vague. 

Man-in-the-middle attacks are very bad. Man-in-the-middle is basically like you sending a letter and putting in the mailbox but instead of the mailman picking it up, it's someone else who takes your letter, reads it, alters it and puts it back for the mailman to pick up or intercepting mail delivered to you and altering it before you receive it. As you can imagine: not good.

I know that's still a lot of technical mumbojumbo but it can be difficult to translate without just explaining the concepts instead. I did my best and I'm a bit rusty. I'll gladly explain more if some or nothing made sense.

5 hours ago, EmeraldKiwi said:

I have a networking degree, and I barely understand any of it lol

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I'll give it a go. Although no promises. It's hard to translate technical stuff to English without using technical terms.

I'll put all the background info and most of the technical stuff in this box so you can read the TL;DR more easily.

Hide contents

NetBIOS is basically like a DNS (Domain Name System) - only locally on your LAN (Local Area Network) instead. It translates names to IP addresses (eg DNS translates linustechtips.com to its IP address 104.20.0.11). It allows you to more easily find and discover machines on your network (among other things). For example, when you setup Windows (or other Operating Systems) you'll be asked to give your computer a name. That is (at least partially) used to construct a NetBIOS (or other protocol) name, so that your machine is easily found on the network as "EmeraldKiwi-PC" instead of 192.168.1.29.

At this point NetBIOS is a legacy protocol (it was developed in 1983) on Windows. Windows has switched to LLMNR (newer protocol that also supports IPv6 for example) by default since Vista but NetBIOS is still used as a fallback (when LLMNR fails, it reverts to NetBIOS) because tons of (old) devices don't support LLMNR. Without a name resolution system things would be awful, as you can imagine. You'd have to type IP addresses every time you need to go a website or to access a device on your network.

Apparently there is a vulnerability somewhere. Normally (I think - been a while since I read up on it) you wouldn't be able to use NetBIOS across networks. So the fact that an attacker can bypass not only NAT (NAT usually hides your real IP address, especially on consumer networks; sort of a safety feature for consumers and makes it harder to attack your network) and it also bypasses your firewall, which usually blocks all traffic except common applications such as http (web browsing) and other necessary traffic. NetBIOS is necessary traffic, so it would be allowed by default.

If I'm understanding this correctly: this exploit tricks your machine into allowing the attacker to (among other things) change settings on your machine allowing him to eventually attack you in multiple different ways including re-directing you to malware sites, phishing sites. Or in short: a man-in-the-middle attack. The info is still very vague. 

Man-in-the-middle attacks are very bad. Man-in-the-middle is basically like you sending a letter and putting in the mailbox but instead of the mailman picking it up, it's someone else who takes your letter, reads it, alters it and puts it back for the mailman to pick up or intercepting mail delivered to you and altering it before you receive it. As you can imagine: not good.

I know that's still a lot of technical mumbojumbo but it can be difficult to translate without just explaining the concepts instead. I did my best and I'm a bit rusty. I'll gladly explain more if some or nothing made sense.

Any way to prevent this, without using a Windows Update? Some of us can't turn Windows Update on because of the Windows 10 crap.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Any way to prevent this, without using a Windows Update? Some of us can't turn Windows Update on because of the Windows 10 crap.

According to the article, just block UDP on port 137 on your router and you should be fine. 

NetBIOS was deprecated back in the XP days, assuming your running Vista or newer and have a modern router your fine. IMO article is very click baity as while Windows Vista and upwards do keep NetBIOS support they just don't use it anymore and you cannot attack a system via an unused protocol. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

What's with the guy's picture lol

It's a Korean\Chinese guy why the surprised reaction? :P

2 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

It's a Korean\Chinese guy why the surprised reaction? :P

Because it's not the first thing you would expect to see in a forum post lol

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

NetBIOS was deprecated back in the XP days, assuming your running Vista or newer and have a modern router your fine. IMO article is very click baity as while Windows Vista and upwards do keep NetBIOS support they just don't use it anymore and you cannot attack a system via an unused protocol. 

Actually  TCP/IP NetBIOS helper runs on Windows 8.1Pro it was running by default on a clean install I did yesterday (Automatic Trigger Start) so explain that one, it also runs on Win 10 as well.

2 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

Because it's not the first thing you would expect to see in a forum post lol

It is if a hacker was involved to exploit or find a security exploit haha

Well It's a good thing I'm always up to date on my PC and I don't download shady stuff or torrent anything.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

Actually  TCP/IP NetBIOS helper runs on Windows 8.1Pro it was running by default on a clean install I did yesterday (Automatic Trigger Start) so explain that one, it also runs on Win 10 as well.

NetBIOS helper is a translator service which allows applications that rely on NetBIOS to theoretically still operate on a modern network. That service running proves that your machine is not running NetBIOS.

From what I've just read however NetBIOS is still used for networked hardware like printers so there might actually be instances of modern networks using it, that also explains why MS kept support for so long after it was deprecated. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

NetBIOS helper is a translator service which allows applications that rely on NetBIOS to theoretically still operate on a modern network. That service running proves that your machine is not running NetBIOS.

From what I've just read however NetBIOS is still used for networked hardware like printers so there might actually be instances of modern networks using it, that also explains why MS kept support for so long after it was deprecated. 

So, I would be safe to assume that I have no plans to ever have my machines talking to anything below windows 7 I can just outright disable this service and be secured.

6 minutes ago, Misunderstood Wookie said:

So, I would be safe to assume that I have no plans to ever have my machines talking to anything below windows 7 I can just outright disable this service and be secured.

Your secure without disabling that service, that service takes legacy NETBios communications and try to covert them to the new LLMNR protocol. Assuming your not using any legacy applications on your system that service will never be in use. 

11 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You are able to download certain updates independantly of windows update.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Hmm, I was under the impression that NetBIOS was enabled but only used as a fallback in case LLMNR fails. That would mean an attacker using NetBIOS could trick the machine into thinking it only supports NetBIOS therefore making the target revert to the older protocol making it vulnerable. Am I in the wrong here? I mean NetBIOS is definitely enabled on my devices. And the Legacy support is often a security issue. Happens often (Well, not often but I mean it's a common technique) for browsers where a man-in-the-middle could make your browser revert to weak encryption protocols allowing him to break it. 

However I could probably also disable it too which would definitely fix the problem. And others could too. Including @Trik'Stari

Although beware if one has old devices they might act up. 

19 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Meanwhile at my PC, ten minutes after reading this:

Meanwhile,  on my pc :

2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg

You can never be too safe,  can you? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Hmm, I was under the impression that NetBIOS was enabled but only used as a fallback in case LLMNR fails. That would mean an attacker using NetBIOS could trick the machine into thinking it only supports NetBIOS therefore making the target revert to the older protocol making it vulnerable. Am I in the wrong here? I mean NetBIOS is definitely enabled on my devices. And the Legacy support is often a security issue. Happens often (Well, not often but I mean it's a common technique) for browsers where a man-in-the-middle could make your browser revert to weak encryption protocols allowing him to break it. 

However I could probably also disable it too which would definitely fix the problem. And others could too. Including @Trik'Stari

Although beware if one has old devices they might act up. 

I thought the opposite but recent reading has proved me to be incorrect. While no software should have a need for NetBIOS anymore apparently a lot of networking hardware does still use the protocol which is why MS keep it active on modern operating systems. If they removed it then many networks would lose capabilities. 

I'm still unsure if it's running all the time or only when it's required, common sense would dictate the latter but this is Microsoft.