The NEW Top Gear is terrible, hope The Grand Tour delivers thread

Master Disaster

Finally was able to get some time to watch it. 

My problem is that they are trying to be the Top Gear that we know and love and that's obviously not gonna work. Chris, well his voice is kind of annoying and he was yelling the whole time. He is trying to be JC and that's not working. Matt... Matt was actually ok. I liked his Nomad review until the chase started, then you could just tell how scripted the show was. Yes, so was the last show sometimes but this was so obvious most of the time, and I don't even want to start on the stars in a reasonably priced car. That was just bad, it was the first "interview" Chris did, but it could've still been better. A lot better. And that outro was just awful. Same as intro. 

They had multiple references to the last crew like "No, we're not doing that anymore", and then they just try to be them. Just no.

However, what I liked was the new race track, those little rally bits. That was quite nice to be frank.

But I'll continue to watch, maybe it'll get better. Maybe.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I didn't like it. and it appears a bunch more people think the same way..

Matt is pretty good on-camera. but the problem was Chris Evans. he really needs to tone it down. trying too much to be like Clarkson is going nowhere. 

and the reasonably priced car bit (i wouldn't even call it that anymore..). they barely interviewed them! and wtf was with the voting for best car? the last thing the audience wants to do is to cheer on whose car is best in the group. very shoddy work there.. but the most amusing part of the segment was the celeb lap recordings. again Evans tries to hype it up, and the audience is dead silent...

the UK vs US challenge was just awful. once again Evans tries to hype it up, and Matt tries to play along, in the most scripted and awkward way possible. but the ending takes the cake... my god was it cringe-worthy. 

the top gun bit was decent. needs a lot more sabine, but other than that it was okay. 

probably my favorite bit was when Matt drives the Nomad... alone. after that it became a scripted mess

and the new test track... it's okay. the rallycross change is welcome, but l miss the old layout.. fortunately it appears they will still use it from time to time. 

55 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

They had multiple references to the last crew like "No, we're not doing that anymore", and then they just try to be them. Just no.

so much this. they need to stop the BS and just be themselves. though it'll take a while for the chemistry to finally click, so i'll hand them that. 

Well Chris disagrees with us.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/top-gear/news/a795924/chris-evans-dismisses-top-gear-negativity/?utm_content=buffer348ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=mainfacebookpost

I don't think people were sharing and watching because of the reasons you think they were mate.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If they can hold on to those viewers remain to be seen. First of something new (or at least different) is going to generate some extra interest over "business as normal".

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

41 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Well Chris disagrees with us.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/top-gear/news/a795924/chris-evans-dismisses-top-gear-negativity/?utm_content=buffer348ff&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=mainfacebookpost

I don't think people were sharing and watching because of the reasons you think they were mate.

Well in a year or 2 when it's failed I'm sure someone will remind him of these tweets, the Internet never forgets. 

Unless he listens and radically changes his demeanour the writing is on the wall. He's not Jeremy Clarkson and should stop trying to be him. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Finally got around to watching it and here are my thoughts, 

Bad

• Evans was too focused on “No! We’re not doing that!” that it was annoying, yes we know you are not the orangutan
  • What was with the running when he announced LeBlanc 
  • Having the audience choose what was the best first car and best car they own was dumb
  • I feel like Sabine was held back when she was in the episode since she probably is a better driver than Evans
    • Spoiler

• This comment from Ars Technica by dfm1981

And another thing, the US Top Gear is now better than the UK edition. http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/broken-shifter-top-gears-new-season-fails-to-wow/?comments=1&start=80

Good

• LeBlanc's review of the Ariel Nomad  he looked really comfortable doing it (not scripted and natural seeming)
  • Sabine making the TG pilot sick
  • Extra Gear was a lot better albeit an abrupt ending in my opinion

It is hard to top this when it comes to reliants

Spoiler

Or this

I like what jalopnik has written about it

http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-top-gear-1779481253

http://jalopnik.com/new-top-gears-ratings-were-shit-compared-to-old-top-gea-1779610254

http://jalopnik.com/why-extra-gear-seemed-so-much-better-than-top-gear-1779512721

Do I think it will last, I think what will happen is that the BBC is going to see that Extra Gear is doing better and Evans will be fired from Top Gear and they will merge the two shows.  Also I probably won't watch Top Gear until Evans is gone (can't stand him) and will watch Extra Gear until The Grand Tour comes out 

Edit: I also will miss this:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, flowalex said:

Finally got around to watching it and here are my thoughts, 

Bad

• Evans was too focused on “No! We’re not doing that!” that it was annoying, yes we know you are not the orangutan
  • What was with the running when he announced LeBlanc 
  • Having the audience choose what was the best first car and best car they own was dumb
  • I feel like Sabine was held back when she was in the episode since she probably is a better driver than Evans
    •   Reveal hidden contents

• This comment from Ars Technica by dfm1981

Good

• LeBlanc's review of the Ariel Nomad  he looked really comfortable doing it (not scripted and natural seeming)
  • Sabine making the TG pilot sick
  • Extra Gear was a lot better albeit an abrupt ending in my opinion

It is hard to top this when it comes to reliants

Reveal hidden contents

Or this

I like what jalopnik has written about it

http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-top-gear-1779481253

http://jalopnik.com/new-top-gears-ratings-were-shit-compared-to-old-top-gea-1779610254

http://jalopnik.com/why-extra-gear-seemed-so-much-better-than-top-gear-1779512721

Do I think it will last, I think what will happen is that the BBC is going to see that Extra Gear is doing better and Evans will be fired from Top Gear and they will merge the two shows.  Also I probably won't watch Top Gear until Evans is gone (can't stand him) and will watch Extra Gear until The Grand Tour comes out 

Edit: I also will miss this:

Reveal hidden contents

I just loved it when Jeremy took the mick out of Richard by playing Genesis on several of their roadtrips. 

Proof that old is gold and the new stuff sucks 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

IDK I think I like the US version better even though it gets a lot of flak. Truth is it's just more relevant to people in the western hemisphere like me and most of the funny things are intact even if just "refurbished" from the UK's content.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:48 AM, revsilverspine said:

I'm going to call it Low Gear from now on, 'cause it sank to a never before imagined low point.

Screw you, BBC =\

Well except for Orphan Black... But Yea SCREW YOU BBC

I gave it a shot and to be honest it was worse than TG America and that is just friggin sad.

A Screaming ginger and a doorknob.

A German lady who is hot for some really obtuse reason ( I think it has to do with the girl from Bremen I was with in Miami for 3 weeks or the fact my wife was German and both were just crazy fun.).

It's dead to me.

I gave it a go. I actually liked Matt LeBlanc, I thought he brought a fairly natural charm and passion to the whole thing. Chris Evans was just trying too hard and made me cringe every time he tried to be funny or copy Clarkson. 

1 hour ago, Speedyv said:

Fvck Chris Evans

Excellent constructive criticism there. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Excellent constructive criticism there. 

What can I say, I try my best.

System: Thinkpad T460

Rubbish, pure rubbish.

I was always going to have a problem with the show in that I've never liked Chris Evans. But I was cautiously optimistic regardless as I expected they would change the show up a lot, make it new and tailor it to suit the new crew. But no, it turns out they've just kept it the same. The minor tweaks they've made in places aren't enough to make it feel fresh to me.

Top Gear was a character show. You don't take a character show then simply replace the characters; it makes no sense. To do the new cast justice the show needs a new format.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

Rubbish, pure rubbish.

I was always going to have a problem with the show in that I've never liked Chris Evans. But I was cautiously optimistic regardless as I expected they would change the show up a lot, make it new and tailor it to suit the new crew. But no, it turns out they've just kept it the same. The minor tweaks they've made in places aren't enough to make it feel fresh to me.

Top Gear was a character show. You don't take a character show then simply replace the characters; it makes no sense. To do the new cast justice the show needs a new format.

Did you get round to watching Extra Gear?

1 minute ago, Mug said:

Did you get round to watching Extra Gear?

I did. I think it has potential, but like the main show definitely needs some work. It felt like the pacing was pretty off, and it felt sort of 'empty' to watch if that makes sense. Given time to improve though I have more faith in it being good than I do the main show itself.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

1 hour ago, Whiskers said:

Rubbish, pure rubbish.

I'd imagine Chris wanted to change things up more than what he managed but the BBC bosses decided to keep it as close to old tg as possible to try and keep old fans interested. I'd even wager the producer and director are responsible for his horrible Clarkson imitations.

Theres no way Chris will have wanted it the way it's ended up. I usually don't mind him but by the end even I was getting annoyed by his whiney shouting. 

Chris is so annoying! As expected Top Gear is ruined. Can someone put The Grand Tour on yt plz, joking

Spoiler

not

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Some new info on the grand tour, the studio segments will be filmed in tents with each episode being filmed in a different location (hence the name Grand Tour) , the starting point will be Johannesburg! 

Just watched it because I've been on holiday for the past little while.

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I still really disliked it. Chris Evans seems over-the-top and desperately trying to be Clarkson and he just isn't pulling it off. Matt LeBlanc seems hugely out of place on the show and the whole "the American doesn't know where various UK places are" thing was old after 20 minutes.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Extra Gear was what Top Gear should have been

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Just got done with Episode 2 of Top Gear, a big improvement over the first episode, but I still have more faith in the GT trio at this point. There's still a lot of improvements to be made to Top Gear.