Should i get the GTX 1080 or wait for the 1080ti?

cottontails2
1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

Yes, AMD has decent price to performance ratio. Many people are only concerned with raw top performance though, and if you want the best of the best here are the facts of life (for a gaming rig):

Intel is better than AMD.

Nvidia is better than AMD.

Creative is better than Realtek.

Asus is better than MSI and Gigabyte for Motherboards.

CoolerMaster is the king of keeping your components cool.

Single GPU setups are a better experience than SLI/Crossfire.

DirectX 12 will be a game changer even though it has not yet proven so, therefore Windows 10 is a must.

Also, DX12 > Vulkan > Mantle > DX11 > OpenGL == DX9

These are the facts of life. You're welcome.

Did you just create a new account to spread your ignorance or troll?

Or are you the same person as Cottontails? Both of you have a lot in common.

1 hour ago, jerubedo said:

Nvidia is better than AMD.

DirectX 12 will be a game changer even though it has not yet proven so, therefore Windows 10 is a must.

Also, DX12 > Vulkan > Mantle > DX11 > OpenGL == DX9

Funny you say that considering the subpar performance of Nvidia GPUs on the majority of DX12 games.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

lol no, wait for the gtx 1180. why get the 1080, so stupid... sfmh...

2 hours ago, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti and how long would i be waiting?

We can't know for sure if there will even BE a 1080ti. Buy what you need/want when you need/want it. Waiting is never a bad option.

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

Forget 4k. Its not worth the Performance loss. Go for 1440p or ultrawide.

I disagree, you don't need to play at max settings to benefit from uhd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

You also don't need anti-aliasing either which is usually the number one cause of performance impact.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

50 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

You also don't need anti-aliasing either which is usually the number one cause of performance impact.

exactly

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti and how long would i be waiting?

You'll be waiting almost a year in the best case, as P100 doesn't even go on sale for 7.5 months for HPC users, much less as a much cheaper (~$1000) Titan card. And you're looking at least 3 months from Titan to 80 Ti series.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

We can't know for sure if there will even BE a 1080ti. Buy what you need/want when you need/want it. Waiting is never a bad option.

I can't imagine Nvidia's yields on P100 will be good enough for there not to be one, though maybe they could do like with Kepler and call it 1180 instead of 1080 Ti. They have to do something with P100 chips that fail Tesla binning, might as well cut them down and sell them as gaming cards instead of trashing them.

3 hours ago, Cottontails said:

I didn't just build a $2000 6700k build, to get an amd graphics card.

Edit: whoops i meant to add this to the first post, sorry for double posting.

Did Nvidia Hire Online Actors to Promote Their Products?

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums.

I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

But back to the OP's question, AMD makes great graphics cards. A lot of the time, they're better than what Nvidia has on the market. AMD is rumoured to be releasing their Vega GPUs in October, which will have HBM2. I recommend waiting for those and getting one. AMD's Vega will probably include GPUs significantly better than the 1080 and maybe even significantly better than the 1080 Ti.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

19 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I can't imagine Nvidia's yields on P100 will be good enough for there not to be one, though maybe they could do like with Kepler and call it 1180 instead of 1080 Ti. They have to do something with P100 chips that fail Tesla binning, might as well cut them down and sell them as gaming cards instead of trashing them.

Still, we can't be sure. It may just be a titan y and cost 1500 bucks with no "sensible" option because they don't want it to cannibalize the overpriced cards.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Turn settings down is no Option for me.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

49 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Why not? The sole point of anti-aliasing is making it look like the resolution is higher. If you HAVE a higher resolution, why bother? It's sill way better.

And then there are settings that make next to no difference (and you'd be hard pressed to tell if it looks "better" or just a little different) and yet slice your performance in half. It depends on personal preference, but just dismissing uhd as "too taxing" without asking what the guy is ok with is an exxageration.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

56 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Anti-aliasing is used to compensate for jaggies caused by low-resoltuion monitors. 1440p and 4k eliminate the need for AA in most cases.

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Why not? The sole point of anti-aliasing is making it look like the resolution is higher. If you HAVE a higher resolution, why bother? It's sill way better.

And then there are settings that make next to no difference (and you'd be hard pressed to tell if it looks "better" or just a little different) and yet slice your performance in half. It depends on personal preference, but just dismissing uhd as "too taxing" without asking what the guy is ok with is an exxageration.

4k is not worth it is my opinion. No need to debate about that. There is no real benefit compared to 1440p. I rather have high frames and all settings maxed. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Buy 1080 now, and after 1 year when 1080 ti is released, sell your 1080 + add another 200-400$ and get 1080 ti.

Profit!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

But back to the OP's question, AMD makes great graphics cards. A lot of the time, they're better than what Nvidia has on the market. AMD is rumoured to be releasing their Vega GPUs in October, which will have HBM2. I recommend waiting for those and getting one. AMD's Vega will probably include GPUs significantly better than the 1080 and maybe even significantly better than the 1080 Ti.

That are many and big maybes. The same was said about the Furys. AMD have to proof it first. I hope they will come up with something powerfull this time.

On 5/17/2016 at 6:44 AM, Simon771 said:

Buy 1080 now, and after 1 year when 1080 ti is released, sell your 1080 + add another 200-400$ and get 1080 ti.

Profit!

I was also debating just adding a second 1080, if i really need the extra power.

4 hours ago, Cottontails said:

Currently i have a 1080p monitor, but i want to either get an ultra wide curved monitor or a 4k monitor.

its worth looking into the negatives of 4k and ultrawide, as they do not appeal to all, 4k can still suffer terrible scaling issues, and ultrawide with poor compataiblity and support

I still think a nice 144hz 1440p display is the best option right now for both framerate, usability and eye candy

but it really depends what you need

As  far as "ti" we have no idea if there will be one, the 1080p benchmarks have started coming out, so you can judge from that to some degree, and 4k is still not perfect, and as games get more demanding over the year it will struggle more and more

Anyway, yeah, all i know is, i think its time to upgrade from my 780ti!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, Cottontails said:

I was also debating just adding a second 1080, if i really need the extra power.

Will see how new SLI will be working, and how much better will 1080 be.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Agree.

AMD's graphic cards tend to last a little bit longer.

Nvidia is gonna use their driver to nerf your card a few years later... That is how they "promote" their newer gen card.

We all know about it.

Personally I would w8 for vega.

*Please do not start a AMD vs Nvidia rage fight....

Neither of them is perfect, and we all choose our own poison. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

8 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

"Nvidia is gonna use their driver to nerf your card a few years later... That is how they "promote" their newer gen card.

We all know about it."

*Please do not start a AMD vs Nvidia rage fight....

Neither of them is perfect, and we all choose our own poison. 

You guys seem like the ones trying to start stuff, by insinuating all that!

8 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Agree.

AMD's graphic cards tend to last a little bit longer.

Nvidia is gonna use their driver to nerf your card a few years later...

Eh not had a problem with either

my 780ti is still great, my laptop with 650m still preforms well and the 335m while a bit shit by todays standards still works like it did back then on older titles

the 7970ms in my laptop are still beast

I think the whole Nvidia/AMD war is pointless, ok people "pick" a side, but thats just because people tend to trust brands they are familiar with and have had good experiences with

Like, so far my Audi has been the best car I have owned in terms of reliability, service and build/performance, im more likely to go with an Audi again, than for example mercedes, since my dads merc has had issues

2 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

Ignore them, and if you do prefer one over the other, who cares, its your choice on who you give your money to

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, Cottontails said:

LOL Sorry about that.... 

Everybody carry on pls  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Eh not had a problem with either

my 780ti is still great, my laptop with 650m still preforms well and the 335m while a bit shit by todays standards still works like it did back then on older titles

the 7970ms in my laptop are still beast

I think the whole Nvidia/AMD war is pointless, ok people "pick" a side, but thats just because people tend to trust brands they are familiar with and have had good experiences with

Like, so far my Audi has been the best car I have owned in terms of reliability, service and build/performance, im more likely to go with an Audi again, than for example mercedes, since my dads merc has had issues

Totally agree with you.

I am not gonna delete what I said, but we can carry on from this.

Sorry if I brought it up.

Get a 1080. The 1080i, if there is gonna even be one, probably wont launch for another 12 months. What resolution are you gonna play at? If its 1080p@60hz its a complete and utter waste. Id even say its a bit of a waste at 1080p@144hz. unless you are massively into shooters. If you want the 1080 and take full advantage of it then have it be for Ultrawide, 1440p, or 4k. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

6 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Creative is better than Realtek.

LOL no creative likes to color sound and that is not a good thing.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.