Should i get the GTX 1080 or wait for the 1080ti?

cottontails2
6 hours ago, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti and how long would i be waiting?

There's never a guarantee that there'll be a Ti card. Nvidia uses them when they have to address a gap in the market. The GTX 980 Ti exists because the Fury X would've looked great if it's only competition had been the Titan X. If a similar situation presents itself this generation then there might be a 1080 Ti, but I wouldn't assume it at this point.

Just to throw in my two cents after the GTX 1080 reviews: I'll personally be upgrading from the Titan X to the 1080 without a doubt. Here's my reasons:

There were a LOT of games this year that ran at an overall framerate of 60 FPS+ (on a 1200p monitor: 1920x1200) HOWEVER, there were dips in various scenes as low as 45 FPS, but more often than not about 50 FPS. These dips are noticeable to me personally. Some examples are:

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Geothermal Valley: Rainy weather: walking from the house at the top right corner of the map to the surrounding rocks in the back yard. During this walk you will witness three consistent frame drops all the way to 45 FPS. If you freeze right where the dip takes place, it will remain at 45 FPS and GPU utilization will be 100%. Turning down shadows seems to be the only thing that brings it back up to 60.

Witcher 3: Devil's Pit: Right at dusk (the only time where the lighting causes the stress). The FPS will drop to 54 from a solid 60. Again 100% GPU usage. It's very noticeable.

These are just two examples but other titles with frame drops also included Far Cry Primal, Doom (just today, but it was actually only in one white room, the rest of the game had no drops), Street Fighter V (Lara's outro), Hitman, The Division, etc.

The 1080 solves this (mostly) because MINIMUM frame rates saw an increase anywhere from a low of 20% to 33% at the highest. So let's just take the conservative number of 20%. In the case of the dips to 45 FPS, that would be a dip to 54 instead which is still not perfection, but it's way better. and in the case where it dips to 54, that would be over 60. The 1080 also introduces Quick Sync which may also help with frame dips as well (in place of V-Sync which I use on pretty much every game). Frame time variance also is looking better than ever on the 1080. It's hard to find any spikes on any of the review sites. Finally, as if that wasn't enough, it is also going to sip on less power, generate slightly less heat, and it might be a little quieter (can't really confirm that yet, though).

This also brings up a point that should be mentioned, too. I noticed many of the reviewers saying that these cards are overkill for 1080p and many of them didn't even bother testing at 1080p. I would say that's just not true. Until I can play every game at 1080p and at 60FPS AND without ANY dips then it's just not overkill. With the number of titles having these dips this past year alone I don't even want to think about higher resolutions yet.

My Rig for any that are curious:

i7 6700K @ 5.0 GHZ (1.3875v, water cooled)

32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 RAM @ 2400GHz

Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 1

Titan X (+150MHz clock, +300MHz Memory)

EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD (OS and game installs)

Sandisk Extreme Pro 960GB SSD (storage)

On 5/17/2016 at 4:10 PM, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti and how long would i be waiting?

IMO the GTX1080 should be more than enough for your future gaming needs when you move to 1440P, Ultrawide and even 4K resolutions.

jumping from the old GTX770 to GTX1080 i say is a huge jump in terms of raw GPU power

you will be going from only 1080P gaming to 4K gaming with just the GPU upgrade

get the GTX1080 and later add another GTX1080 when you need more GPU power

PS: is that you AliceNoel?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

22 hours ago, rrubberr said:

I would wait until a board partner gets hold of it and reworks the power delivery to use more than one single eight pin power connector. Of course, that could cost you plenty more than MSRP, so be prepared to spend upwards of $700 for something like that. Watch your budget, though, as NV seems to have shot mid-range in the foot and gone straight for the enthusiast price tag. 

Linus has a video where he performed a teardown of the Asus Gaming (something or other)...  Anyway,. The point is that on a single 4-pin connector, it powered the i7, and TWO gtx980s...  Number of power connectors really doesnt matter much... Especially since power draw keeps dropping

10 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I believe you're badly mistaken. A 4 pin connector at 8 amps / 12 volts can only output a theoretical maximum of 96 watts, and the setup you described probably borders on 600 watts. How you think you can manage to get 4 pins split between things that require a collective 30+ pins also baffles me. How many daisy chained 6 to 2x6 splitters did this setup use exactly? Unless you were using some VERY hefty gauge wire, you're just plain wrong.

Rethinking that...  I am wrong regarding the number of pins.   It was at least 9, possibly 12....  But it was a very small single connector that powered the cpu and dual 980s.   The power to those boads was carried through the card interface of a daughter board.

it was the MSI Vortex unbuild video on youtube.   He shows the power connector right at the end.

2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

IMO the GTX1080 should be more than enough for your future gaming needs when you move to 1440P, Ultrawide and even 4K resolutions.

jumping from the old GTX770 to GTX1080 i say is a huge jump in terms of raw GPU power

you will be going from only 1080P gaming to 4K gaming with just the GPU upgrade

get the GTX1080 and later add another GTX1080 when you need more GPU power

PS: is that you AliceNoel?

Yes i'm Alice, i changed it cause i didn't want to use my real name anymore. Your also right, that's actually what i decided on, i'll just get a second 1080, if i end up needing it.

7 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

Yes i'm Alice, i changed it cause i didn't want to use my real name anymore. Your also right, that's actually what i decided on, i'll just get a second 1080, if i end up needing it.

Yea

so I guess you got the new Skylake system with the GTX770

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

3 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

Yea

so I guess you got the new Skylake system with the GTX770

Yeah finally, i'm only using the 770 until i sell my old PC, then i'll get the 1080.

Why not just take the plunge for the 1080? It's really solid and is MUCH better than a 980ti and I also think better than one of the titan cards.

If you wait for the 1080ti you'll begin to contemplate whether to wait for the NEXT line of GPUs or buy a 1080ti, forcing you into a perpetual state of should I wait.

The 1080 has great framerates on 1440p & since you said you wanted to upgrade your monitor to an ultrawide/1440p this will do the job just fine

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

Honestly, I don't think we will see a "TI" variant of the 1080 this year.  As of right now, AMD won't be releasing anything more powerful than the Fury X until at least Q1 2017 (maybe Q4 2016 if they can get the yields they want).  There will always be something to wait for.  I could say wait until the 1180 or the x80 or whatever they want to call the next GPU series before upgrading.  I think you have to look at it this way, the benchmarks show that the 1080 is faster than the Titan X and 980Ti (keep in mind that everything here is done mostly against reference cards and will be interesting to bench OC cards).  If you have the funds and you want to upgrade then go for it.  If you have cards that didn't fair so well in the silicon lottery and can't overclock all that well (case in point my previous 980ti's) then maybe you would want to get a 1080 again assuming you have the funds.  I am grabbing one for my second gaming rig to replace the 980 FTW I sold off on Ebay.  After I do some testing, if I like its performance, I will grab a second and move the 1080 SLI to my main rig and move my TI's.  At the very least, wait for the other board partners to come out with their variants as I think we are going to see some really interesting benchmarks at that time. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

I'm from the future, this is what I see:

If you wait for 1080ti, then at that time you would ask 'Do I go for 1080ti, or do I wait for 1180?'

Since 1180 is 47.57% more powerful than 1080Ti (again, I'm from the future).

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell