Should i get the GTX 1080 or wait for the 1080ti?

cottontails2
1 minute ago, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti

No, because:

how long would i be waiting?

200_s.gif

Wait for board partner variations for the regular 1080 and get that.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'm not buying the reference card, whichever card i get, i will probably buy evga's hybrid version!

I guess it also depends on how happy you are with existing performance, thus how soon you feel a need to upgrade. For example, I have a 980Ti, and while I'm sure a 1080 would be faster, I'm not sure it is faster enough to make a big difference, so in this example I probably should wait for the 1080Ti.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

Basically should i wait for the ti and how long would i be waiting?

Impossible to say since, it hasnt been announced, doesn't exist, we dont know the specs, price, release date or performance, if they will even make one, or how it compares

Better just waiting to see what happens

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

There's also going to something newer and better around the corner 

If it's AMD... just no.

I didn't just build a $2000 6700k build, to get an amd graphics card.

Edit: whoops i meant to add this to the first post, sorry for double posting.

Just get a 1080... It is plenty for every game out there 1080ti will be for 240fps Ultra gaming (240hz monitors exist, look it up)

"AMD is bringing DDR5 to the mainstream with their all new FX 8450 and FX 9690 Zen processors. Check out the link in the video description to learn more."

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 4690K
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z87-I Mini-ITX
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • GPU
  • CHANGING 
  • Case
  • BitFenix Comrade Window Black/
  • Corsair 250D
  • Storage
    Hectron X1 60gb SSD "The China", Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Corsair TX650
  • Cooling
    Hyper TX3
  • Keyboard
    AULA F2012 Mechanical

3 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

If it's AMD... just no.

Not at all what I was implying and Amd has some decent chips... What my point was, was that 80 percent of the posts I see are people asking "should I buy (insert current gen component here)  or wait until (insert next gen component here) releases?!" if you wait, you'll be waiting forever. This happened with Sandy bridge, the 900 series cards, haswell, the haswell refresh, and it's happening now with the new cards and processors. It's marketing. Accept that you'll never have the best of the best for more than a few months and go with your gut and buy what you can afford 

6 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

I didn't just build a $2000 6700k build, to get an amd graphics card.

And that's what we call "an Nvidia fanboy". Welcome to the vast majority of the LTT follower base. Shame on you.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

let's just say the 1080ti would cost a little bit more that 980ti today. judging by how you even considering the 1080ti i would say you have the money to buy one. if you currently already have a GPU 770 and above,i would say you better off waiting for the 1080 Ti no matter how long the wait could be. 

13 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

And that's what we call "an Nvidia *fangirl". Welcome to the vast majority of the LTT follower base. Shame on you.

For your information my previous build was with the FX8350 and even that cpu bottlenecks with my GTX 770, Intel is just the better choice if you have the money. I am a fan of AMD for budget builds.

For your information my previous build was with the FX8350 and even that cpu bottlenecks with my GTX 770, Intel is just the better choice if you have the money. I am a fan of AMD for budget builds.

For CPUs, yes, AMD ain't good.

For GPUs, it actually has good offers on the market.

4 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

For CPUs, yes, AMD ain't good.

For GPUs, it actually has good offers on the market.

Yes, AMD has decent price to performance ratio. Many people are only concerned with raw top performance though, and if you want the best of the best here are the facts of life (for a gaming rig):

Intel is better than AMD.

Nvidia is better than AMD.

Creative is better than Realtek.

Asus is better than MSI and Gigabyte for Motherboards.

CoolerMaster is the king of keeping your components cool.

Single GPU setups are a better experience than SLI/Crossfire.

DirectX 12 will be a game changer even though it has not yet proven so, therefore Windows 10 is a must.

Also, DX12 > Vulkan > Mantle > DX11 > OpenGL == DX9

These are the facts of life. You're welcome.

1 minute ago, jerubedo said:

These are the facts of life. You're welcome.

I like that "1 post, fact of life" motif...

So if i do go with the 1080 which version should i get, i was thinking evga's hybrid, but it could be awhile till they release it?

5 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

So if i do go with the 1080 which version should i get, i was thinking evga's hybrid, but it could be awhile till they release it?

To both questions:

200_s.gif

Wait for reviews to be out. Any of the models could have a flaw / be much better over the others. Price is a mystery as well.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

I really like the EVGA FTW cards usually. Or the K1ngP1n edition. I'm personally going with the reference release just cuz I'm impatient. I'll be upgrading from a Titan X which I'll be moving to my couch rig, and then I'll take the 780 Ti out of that one and put it in my wife's computer. Ye 'Ol swap a roo. 

It depends of what you use now and what Display you gona use. I would wait for a Custom Ti. But that will not be released anytime soon.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Currently i have a 1080p monitor, but i want to either get an ultra wide curved monitor or a 4k monitor.

12 minutes ago, Cottontails said:

Currently i have a 1080p monitor, but i want to either get an ultra wide curved monitor or a 4k monitor.

Forget 4k. Its not worth the Performance loss. Go for 1440p or ultrawide.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO