Just a survey. Thanks for answering! :)

Buildingi3

Laptop Gaming or Desktop Gaming? 

What is the most cost efficient and more powerful?

desktop of course

notebook manufacturers charge a price premium because you can't build a laptop yourself

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

9 minutes ago, Buildingi3 said:

Laptop Gaming or Desktop Gaming? 

What is the most cost efficient and more powerful?

If you build the Desktop right, and it fits your use cases, then Desktop

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Desktop 100% of the way, I can see why some people go for laptop however. With the only viable point at all in my opinion being portability.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

desktop, in all ways, you can make it as big or small as you want basically and its better performance per dollar then any gaming laptop.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Desktop.

the price for gaming laptops is too steep

CPU: 6700k 4.6Ghz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X MB: MSI Gaming M5 PSU: Evga 750 G2 Case: Phanteks EVOLV 

Desktop, because it can be upgraded but it can be massive unless you build mini-ITX PC or like mATX. Unlike laptop where you can't really change the hardware like desktop (well you can change some parts like RAM and HDD, but not like GPU). Besides, laptop gaming PC is way more expensive than desktop, it's portable though, but when you need an upgrade like GPU then.... There's nothing you can do.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

It depends on your budget, If you want to get similar desktop performance out of a laptop then go for it if you have the money, if you have the space for a desktop go for a desktop, unless you want a portable gaming pc. 

Laptop specs:

CPU: Core i7 3630QM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT630M

RAM: 16gb of unknown origin

Storage: 1tb HDD (probably going to upgrade to an SSD at some point)

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Desktop by far, but the real advantage to a laptop (at least for me) is that it comes with a built in screen. I have no problem carrying around my tiny 6.2L rig (I mean, that's what I made it for) and the power it has in comparison to a laptop is great but the one thing I hate is that I either have to borrow a monitor or bring my heavy 24".

I once had a gaming laptop. Nothing fancy, but it worked. What I want to say is that if you don't play very demanding games and at the same time you need portability, as I did back then, then you can buy a laptop. Keep in mind tho, that for the same money you can build a lot more powerful PC, loosing portability at the same time.

laptop = portability, less power

PC = no portability, a lot more power

Your choice ;) 

Personally, I will never buy a "gaming" laptop again.

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

3 minutes ago, Marine_Boy said:

I once had a gaming laptop. Nothing fancy, but it worked. What I want to say is that if you don't play very demanding games and at the same time you need portability, as I did back then, then you can buy a laptop. Keep in mind tho, that for the same money you can build a lot more powerful PC, loosing portability at the same time.

laptop = portability, less power

PC = no portability, a lot more power

Your choice ;) 

Personally, I will never buy a "gaming" laptop again.

A few manufacturers made a gaming laptop that has a GTX 980 (Not the 980m ) and also put in a desktop CPU and laptops are getting close.

Laptop specs:

CPU: Core i7 3630QM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT630M

RAM: 16gb of unknown origin

Storage: 1tb HDD (probably going to upgrade to an SSD at some point)

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Laptops are more fragile anyway these days they don't last as much before whining for a fix.

Desktop, since you can just make a mini form factor build if you want it to be somewhat portable.

Definitely a desktop PC, they are cheaper to build in the first place and easier to upgrade in the future, Gaming laptops tend to come with a rather hefty price premium and commonly lack the ability to be upgraded. The only real downside to a PC for me is the size, weight and potability although manufacturers do seem to be working towards this recently. Hope this helps you! 

I'd generally say desktop.  Although in my own case right now, in practice it's the other way around.  My desktop scores around 700 in FireStrike, where as my laptop can clear 6000.

Also, my laptop has a replaceable CPU and GPU.  It's considerably more expensive to replace the GPU than in a desktop, but it uses a desktop CPU.  (Mine is a Clevo P750DM-G, also known as the Sager NP9758 and Eurocom Sky X4.  (Mine doesn't support the GTX 980, but there is a higher-end model that does support it, as well as the desktop LGA1151 CPU.)  Also I've seen that Eurocom has (or used to have) a Panther 5 SE, which had an LGA2011 socket (not v3) and supported SLI and CF on the GPUs.)

I'm expecting that when I buy the next major part for my desktop (available June 10, but I'm not buying it on launch day), it'll leave my laptop in the dust.

If you need to move a lot or always on the go, a laptop.

You are stationary or want the extra horsepower and less cost, desktop.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Desktop. I have a gaming laptop as well and battery life sucks

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14