Your favorite Text editor?

Danielh90

I always use NotePad++.

Sublime Text 2 I used for a bit.. But just preferred NotePad++ and Visual Studio is just too complicated, as in I wouldn't use 99% of its features so it just takes too long to start up IMO

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

<3 Notepad++

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

notepad ++ or sublime, havent used sublime a lot but i have used notepad ++ a bunch

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i've used textwrangler (B+) sublime text (A) and atom.io (A+ 10/10 would recommend)

atom.io is made by the people over at github so it has git intergration (you can see the additions since the last commit, how many lines deleted and added, and the current branch, really handy :))

my ultimate web dev starting pack:

7uyjmKQ.png

terminal: for "cd code/github/project&&python -m SimpleHTTPServer"

github client: for keeping track of my changes

atom.io: for programming

chrome: for testing and debugging

vlc: for listening to music :D

sublime text

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Atom. I've used N++ before, but it is old and ugly.

Notepad++

by far my favorite i've used.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I use three - four things at the same time when I'm designing / developing websites etc.

I use:

Dreamweaver CS6 (When I'm writing HTML / CSS etc for website development / designing)

Notepad++

Atom Text Editor (I like the look and how easy it is to use)

Also, if we're not just on the subject of text editors etc, I use PuTTy and WinSCP when uploading / changing files from my VPS.

IT Student | Gamer | PC Enthusiast | Life Liver

Vim, a bit of a learning curve but after a little practice you never need to leave home row again.

Notepad Plus Plus

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Definitely Notepad ++ in my case 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Definitely  Visual Studio Code - free, cross-platform, flexible as atom and nearly as fast as Sublime Text

10 hours ago, Hamosch said:

Vim, a bit of a learning curve but after a little practice you never need to leave home row again.

What does Vim give you that notepad++ or sublime does not? 

Visual Studio 2015 all the way. Web Essentials are amazing and the debugger is great.

8 minutes ago, PleasingCone said:

Visual Studio 2015 all the way. Web Essentials are amazing and the debugger is great.

Technically, it's a lot more than just a text editor.  For editing code and doing IDE-type stuff it's definitely top notch.  For editing other types of files it's more of a swiss army knife type tool.  Sometimes you might want to use a separate screwdriver / butcher knife / wood saw for more specific jobs.

20 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

A headache.

(when trying to learn how to use it)

2 minutes ago, clegger said:

A headache.

(when trying to learn how to use it)

Oh ok Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, clegger said:

Technically, it's a lot more than just a text editor.  For editing code and doing IDE-type stuff it's definitely top notch.  For editing other types of files it's more of a swiss army knife type tool.  Sometimes you might want to use a separate screwdriver / butcher knife / wood saw for more specific jobs.

Yea true, sometimes I'll use Sublime when doing basic HTML and CSS but whenever I need some real back end work I always stick with VS.

2 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Oh ok Thank you. 

I don't mean to be completely dismissive of VIM, but if you're just getting started programming then put it on your list of things to learn a bit later when you feel that you're ready for another challenge to boost your skill.  Early on I think it's best to limit the number of potential barriers to learning to program.

47 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Like @clegger said, it's not really something to get into if your just starting out, but might be something later down the line when you get tired of having to grab the mouse all the time or using annoying modifier keys.

As to what it gives me compared to notepad++ or sublime is the ability to do anything without having to move my hands from the home row, never use the mouse or even arrow keys.

Its a modular editor, meaning there are different modes,

-[insert] where you write, the character keys are used to write

-[default] the one where you move around and can execute commands with, the character keys are used for commands and moving around (no modifier keys needed)

-[visual] not really used by me or many others, basically like default but lets you select stuff aswell.

It is also possible to highly automate on the fly. And most day to day things take me as little as one or two key strokes. Commands also don't require you keep the keys pressed simultaneously but only type them in sequence or they are single key.

For me it increases productivity, not having to grab the mouse or moving my hands, and it reduces strain when writing for extended periods of time. Also it runs in a terminal window and allows you to easily work remotely on a shitty connections. One important thing to do when using vim is to bind escape to the caps lock key as you otherwise will have to keep moving up to press escape.

GEdit is one I always go to, just because it's such a clean layout, with good syntax highlighting and automatic indentation, and it doesn't have really any learning curve so I never feel like I just don't know how to use it.  If I'm doing anything in a command line, Nano has always been good enough for me.  Vim and Emacs have too many features that I feel like I would need to learn, while Nano has a pretty small set.  (If you can't tell, I like more minimal/slimmed down text editors rather than big, feature-packed ones).

I've also started playing with Geany over the last few days, and I really, really like it so far.  It's basically just a text editor with an integrated "notes to self" panel and terminal, it has syntax highlighting rules for a huge number of languages, and it actually send command line arguments to your OS to run your code.  It seems pretty damn good at figuring out the right command line argument for each language, and you can edit the commands or add a few alternatives to select from.  So if you have a language's compiler/interpreter installed on your system, you should be able to use it with Geany.  The only thing I kind of don't like so far is that it tends to open a terminal window to show the result of print statements a lot of the time, and doesn't always integrate that into its own window, but unless there's something else nasty hiding in the depths of Geany that I haven't stumbled across yet, I can easily get over that.