GTX 1080 will be limited to 2 way SLI

ALN118
11 hours ago, Enderman said:

doesnt exist

no shit sherlock, nobody makes a 4K 120Hz panel/monitor if no one has dp 1.3+ gpus

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

after thinking this over, they are obviously just increasing SLI bandwidth by 2x by limiting the configuration to 2x cards.

Each SLI finger can deliver 1GB/s bandwidth (practically it is PCIe Gen2 x1). Now they got TWO connectors, to get TWO GB/s....

Which is all fine and dandy, until you realize that todays GPUs, in gaming load, will not be bottlenecked by any serious amount, by even PCIe Gen2 x8.... so if you look at AMDs XDMA (Crossfire over PCIe) you realize AMDs Crossfire has 8GB/s bandwidth availible at Gen2 speeds, and 16GB/s at PCIe Gen3 speeds. Meaning Nvidia is still trailing AMD by 6-14GB/s worth of bandwidth. And i bet the only reason they limited it to maximum TWO GPUs, is because historically, Nvidias scaling (% boost per extra GPU) has been worse then AMDs, and at 3x and 4x it has been absolutely atrocious, more often then not it has been close to zero or even negative effect. Whilst AMDs 3 or 4 card configs has atleast retained minor scaling. Not great, but atleast not negative effect.

So this isnt really a large improvement to SLI, it is just a fucking sidestep to avoid having to invent a system similar to AMDs without infringing on their XDMA IP. For which i bet AMD would sue them for infringing upon.

4 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

You now need both fingers for 2 way. 

Except that is not correct. You can use both fingers for 2 way and it's recommended but it's not required.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Except that is not correct. You can use both fingers for 2 way and it's recommended but it's not required.

Recent rumours say that the 1080 will use both for 2 way as a higher bandwidth means of doing so

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Recent rumours say that the 1080 will use both for 2 way as a higher bandwidth means of doing so

Rumors that have been debunked by people who were at the event. Nvidia recommends but doesn't require it so you can do 3 and 4 way SLI if you want.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well that means that pascal was not that much of an improvement after all for sli configs. Meaning maybe 4 titan x's would be better at performing in games but then again sli scaling is terrible.

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

EVGA recalled this statement, Jay was correct and EVGA was wrong...

Facebook comment by OC3D:

" EVGA has since deleted their statement, with Jacob Freeman (EVGA Product Manager) later stating that "More info about SLI support will be coming soon, please stay tuned."

Not sure whether this means that  there will or will not be more the two-way.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Would it be possible to run 2 sets of 2-way SLI?  say for a Quad monitor setup or something. 

WUT. Why are you all crying about it limited to only 2 way SLI? It beats the Titan X in it's home court!

On 5/11/2016 at 5:42 PM, shermantanker said:

@ALN118 Jay just said this on a facebook post

"Everyone complaining about 2 way SLI being only option for 1080, please stop listening to the rumors. I'll explain more at later date" - Jayztwocents

so hes implying this is false?

58 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

On his techtalk last night he 100% claimed it was false. Without a doubt in the world. Also he mentioned nvidia was the one suppling the 3 cards for the explicit intent of skunkworks

This rumor is 100% false and he literally goes in depth talking and explaining it (as far as he can under nda) 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

On his techtalk last night he 100% claimed it was false. Without a doubt in the world. Also he mentioned nvidia was the one suppling the 3 cards for the explicit intent of skunkworks

This rumor is 100% false and he literally goes in depth talking and explaining it (as far as he can under nda) 

what lead evga to believe its limited to 2 way sli?

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

Pretty much. He keeps saying everyone is spreading false information, and he can't wait to correct everyone lol.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

what lead evga to believe its limited to 2 way sli?

Jayz pointed out the post is no longer on evgas forum. It was a misunderstanding by that particular pr guy. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

how over powered do you need your rig?!?!?!?!?

any way. wasn't it to be better to run cards using the new (i think it was) direct x multi gpu thing, linus talked about at some point (i tried to find the video but couldn't)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

you all do know that this is not true yes?

Returning after 8 years dormant

3 hours ago, Maverick5500 said:

you all do know that this is not true yes?

Nothing is 100% confirmed as of yet. EVGA did make a statement that the 1080 could only do 2-SLI, but they retracted that statement.

Just wait a couple more days until the NDA is lifted so that true benchmarks and information can come out.

Doesnt really matter if true or false. Just think about it. 

Even if most people wont go over two cards why limit it to just two? From a business point of view that is killing potential income (extreme enthusiasts). Less cards sold. It will also make a statement that they have the best product. So unless its physically impossible why sell your own product short? 

Personally waiting for after NDA and the next big thing. Or DP 1.4 lol ;)

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, Memories4K said:

Jayz not gonna dig this

Well, he will be digging his radiator(s).

I'm OK with this. 3 and 4 way SLI is stupid. It never worked with most games and the performance gains drop off after 2 way. It would be nice if we could get perfect support for 2 way SLI though and double the performance of a single card.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Why would anyone do 3-way or 4-way SLI anyway?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Even if this was true, which it doesn't seem it is, 3/4 way SLI is pointless anyway.  Any practical uses that >2 1080s would have in a single system shouldn't be used in one SLI config.  Have two pairs do individual tasks (or one pair and two separate).

Can't wait till the NDA lift. This thread is just a shitshow.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

apparently this is not even true...the GTX 1080 can be put in 3 way and 4 way SLI.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I don't really care because I'd never do 3 or 4 way sli, I just don't understand why. Why not just throw the possibility out there? Wouldn't they like people buying 4 gpus instead of 2? I guess optimizing the drivers further would cost them some time, but come on, I don't think they are out of software developers...

On 5/11/2016 at 0:02 AM, CTR640 said:

2 plai csgo at 8k 240hz just fo' teh sjit nd giggles

Anyway, don't you need an i7 Extreme to support 4 GPU'S?

if you want nvidia cards, yeah, but if you go for crossfire you can do it on consumer boards too (there's no minimum pcie lanes requirement, and pcie 3 4x is good enough for any card currently on the market).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*