Apple launches new 12" MacBook with Skylake CPUs, longer battery life and a Rose Gold option, also updates 13" MacBook Air to 8 GB of RAM standard

Sauce: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/19/new-2016-12-inch-macbook-released/

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/19/13-inch-macbook-air-8gb-ram-standard/

12-inch-MacBook-Rose-Gold-color.jpg

Apple today announced that it has released new 12-inch MacBook models with the latest sixth-generation Skylake dual-core Intel Core M processors up to 1.3 GHz, new Intel HD Graphics 515 that deliver up to 25% faster performance, faster PCIe-based flash storage, an additional hour of battery life, and faster 1866 MHz memory.

The notebook continues to have a 12-inch display with a 2,304-by-1,440 resolution at 226 PPI, single USB 3.1 Type-C port, 256GB or 512GB flash storage, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a 480p FaceTime camera, stereo speakers, dual microphones, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

So a couple of things:

Still a 480p camera (utter failure, just wow)

Still DDR3 RAM, this is an Intel Core M3/5/7 limitation

Still a single USB-C port that isn't Thunderbolt 3

I do like the larger battery (from 39 watt-hour to 41)

I guess if you only want a super portable machine that isn't gimped by a mobile OS as a secondary computer, then it's all yours. But if you do need to do anything more than that get an Air or a 13" MacBook Pro.

Speaking of the Air:

13-inch MacBook Air models previously had 4GB of RAM for stock configurations, with 8GB of RAM available as an upgrade option for built-to-order models. 11-inch MacBook Air models continue to have 4GB of RAM for base configurations.

The Air remains a weird machine, product placement wise. It doesn't have a Retina display, it keeps the Broadwell chips, still uses an older design, etc. Rumors have suggested the Air's days are numbered, but we have to see what WWDC gets us when it kicks off on the 13th of June.

Ye ole' train

480p camera? LOL.

DDR3? Doesn't matter too much IMO.

Single port? LOL.

Larger battery? Good.

And the more RAM on the Air is good too. 4 just isn't enough I find. I'm waiting to upgrade to 16 in the summer.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Umm apple, its pink

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Apple: Releases new Macbook model

Still is shit as the last....

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

I don't get the Macbook Air.

If it's anything like the last line of Macbooks, this is gonna happen again: 

I used to be quite active here.

28 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Umm apple, its pink

You haven't seen Lamborghini's colour schemes yet... 

Nero Noctis in matte would've been a nice option, but for now I guess I'll stick with Grigio Antares

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

The 13" Macbook Air still has a screen resolution of 900p and is STILL not an IPS panel...for $1200 CAD. It also gets less battery life than other cheaper ultrabooks that have higher resolution panels.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I think the camera/webcam complaint is pointless. If they included an HD or fhd camera, people will still complain that it isn't high quality enough to take selfies or live cam because the bitrate sucks or low light performance sucks. People even complain when things have a good camera (ipad pro). 

2 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

I think the camera/webcam complaint is pointless. If they included an HD or fhd camera, people will still complain that it isn't high quality enough to take selfies or live cam because the bitrate sucks or low light performance sucks. People even complain when things have a good camera (ipad pro). 

The complaint with the iPad pro is that you shouldn't be taking pictures with an iPad. A front facing camera, on the other hand, is used for video chatting and so it should be of decent quality.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The complaint with the iPad pro is that you shouldn't be taking pictures with an iPad. A front facing camera, on the other hand, is used for video chatting and so it should be of decent quality.

Well, I guess my point is that upping the resolution isn't really going to do much, it's still gonna suck because it has a green or yellow tint, it has bad low light performance, or the framerate isn't high enough. People will just find something else to complain about. 

So the Air is officially dead. Hopefully they'll announce a big change to the rMPB and hopefully this won't mean cutting the amount of ports (seriously Apple, we need them).

1 hour ago, crisro996 said:

So the Air is officially dead. Hopefully they'll announce a big change to the rMPB and hopefully this won't mean cutting the amount of ports (seriously Apple, we need them).

Not its not, the m3 and m5 are still much weaker than the ULV i5 and i7 in the Air

Of course it'd be great to see the rMBP become worthy of its "Pro" moniker in terms of its specs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, Warcony said:

The 13" Macbook Air still has a screen resolution of 900p and is STILL not an IPS panel...for $1200 CAD. It also gets less battery life than other cheaper ultrabooks that have higher resolution panels.

could you link me to some of these laptops that get better battery life. I'm looking to get a new laptop and none of the windows laptops seem to have the battery life of an Air.

1 hour ago, crisro996 said:

Rumor has it that the Pros are supposed to have a radical design change announced at the upcoming WWDC 2016. If they can make it thinner while maintaining the ports, I wouldn't mind if they get rid of the Air line.

25% of 0 is still zero...

If you want a netbook, you should rather buy an ipad or android tablet, both have a good suite of office apps and browsers.

If you want a proper laptop, what are you doing, looking at the Air? Ugh I never understood its place in the market, despite a lot of people buying it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Lol, this is a product I'll just laugh at when I see it or even mention.

3 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

25% of 0 is still zero...

If you want a netbook, you should rather buy an ipad or android tablet, both have a good suite of office apps and browsers.

If you want a proper laptop, what are you doing, looking at the Air? Ugh I never understood its place in the market, despite a lot of people buying it.

I do understand it, it came out before ultrabooks were an actual thing and before the iPad was a thing as well...it was released a few months before the fricking iPhone 3 was released! It was originally named the thinnest laptop (which was true back then) so what is there something that you don't understand about? It was released 8 years ago into a very different portable market where touch screen phones were still kicking off.

It's like saying "I don't understand why smartphone with physical keyboards existed" in 2008...jeez learn some techy history before dismissing a product because a few years later, after it's original launch better tech would/has been released :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

such an incremental change. And still horribly over priced for what you get. I mean, its over priced even for apple standards. $1300? no way. I could see 750-800 but not Maybe 900, but $1299? The performance just is not there. Apple being apple though, its still going to fly off the shelves.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I do understand it, it came out before ultrabooks were an actual thing and before the iPad was a thing as well...it was released a few months before the fricking iPhone 3 was released! It was originally named the thinnest laptop (which was true back then) so what is there something that you don't understand about? It was released 8 years ago into a very different portable market where touch screen phones were still kicking off.

It's like saying "I don't understand why smartphone with physical keyboards existed" in 2008...jeez learn some techy history before dismissing a product because a few years later, after it's original launch better tech would/has been released :D 

Ooh I didn't realize that! I'll even agree, back then it would have easily made sense. (holy shit though, it was THAT long ago... Damn, time flies...

Though I stand by what I said, though I'll rephrase it: I don't understand it's place in the current market.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

You haven't seen Lamborghini's colour schemes yet... 

Nero Noctis in matte would've been a nice option, but for now I guess I'll stick with Grigio Antares

Just call them black and grey Lamborghini goddamn it. On a serious note, they probably do this to make it sound more premium.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

58 minutes ago, bob345 said:

such an incremental change. And still horribly over priced for what you get. I mean, its over priced even for apple standards. $1300? no way. I could see 750-800 but not Maybe 900, but $1299? The performance just is not there. Apple being apple though, its still going to fly off the shelves.

I would bet it won't, you got the retina pro at the same price bracket with a better CPU and GPU and still manages to be light enough for many.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Not its not, the m3 and m5 are still much weaker than the ULV i5 and i7 in the Air

Of course it'd be great to see the rMBP become worthy of its "Pro" moniker in terms of its specs.

The Air was supposed to be a light-weight web-browsing laptop which has so far been replaced by the MacBook. They didn't even bother to bump the specs any further beside 4 gigs of RAM. They could've at least put a newer generation of CPUs, but nope, just a tiny bump (which I do admit was needed). The only thing the Air has going for it is the price.

I'd still get the air over the regular macbook.  Typing on the regular macbook feels like feels you're slamming your fingers into the table.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14