Codename NEO - PlayStation 4 wants the K

Filmmatrixreloadedneo207iu.jpg.8f02f855936349ea0978fa2a584ba09e.jpg

This is rumor control, here are the facts. While the mid-term PS4 upgrade will feature new SoC, with upgraded CPU, GPU and memory components, Sony will take measures to control the split between the original and the upgraded consoles for any new and existing titles. The new GPU will probably be based on AMD's Polaris CGN architecture.

Original PS4 NEO
CPU 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
GPU AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
Memory 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

The NEO will feature a higher clock speed than the original PS4, an improved GPU, and higher bandwidth on the memory. The documents we've received note that the HDD in the NEO is the same as that in the original PlayStation 4, but it's not clear if that means in terms of capacity or connection speed. Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

Dual Shock 4 remains the primary controller: Sony has no plans to introduce a new joypad for the Neo hardware. The Dual Shock 4 remains unchanged and Sony has actually mandated that all existing peripherals should be supported with no segregation between PS4 and Neo.

1080p is the mandatory minimum display resolution: Sony is keen to push developers on to higher resolutions and super-sampling down to full HD is an option, but 1080p is the lowest pixel-count allowed.

No online segregation between consoles: If a PlayStation title supports online features, they must be deployed equally on both systems. Developers cannot have Neo-only servers. We believe this may actually introduce gameplay balance issues if, say, the Neo version hits 60fps while the PS4 version is capped at 30fps.

Save data systems are cross-platform: The PlayStation operating system is constant between both PS4 and Neo. This means that all data (save games, back-ups etc) are interchangeable between both systems by default. However, it seems that Sony is leaving it up to developers to ensure that Neo and PS4 save-swapping actually works.

Forward compatibility patches are for old games only: Sony really wants Neo support on all games from October onwards. While older titles can have Neo features patched in, the platform holder will not allow new titles to add Neo features at a later date

Source #1: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sources-the-upgraded-playstation-4-is-codenamed-ne/1100-5437/

Source #2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed

Source #3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-how-playstation-4k-neo-and-the-original-ps4-will-co-exist

Noice. More powerful consoles. The Sony is back in action baby. SUCH POWER SUCH JAPANESE ENGINEERING.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

"Games not required to be 4K native"

Inb4 only 4K games are 2D.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

"Games not required to be 4K native"

Inb4 only 4K games are 2D.

Doubt it. There are some efficient engines out there. I bet any source 2 game made for ps4k(or 4.5 whatever) will be easy to get 30fps 4k.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

This is TERRIBLE news, we should not be having a refresh mid-console generation. This is an entirely new piece of hardware, a whole new console. Not just refinements like previous consoles.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

This is TERRIBLE news, we should not be having a refresh mid-console generation. This is an entirely new piece of hardware, a whole new console. Not just refinements like previous consoles.

That would only be true if there were games exclusive to the upgraded system. Which as far as the article is concerned, is not the case. Better graphics and frame rate is exactly what we experience on PC.

You basically trying to say any games I play on my personal rig would not be playable on a mid-end pc. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

41 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Doubt it. There are some efficient engines out there. I bet any source 2 game made for ps4k(or 4.5 whatever) will be easy to get 30fps 4k.

Engines aren't inherently efficient 

On source we got CS GO, L4D 1&2, TF2 all at 720 30 last gen and only Titan fall on 360 delivered 720 60

I imagine if this is real we are going to see a wide variance of resolution like 1080p on the base unit and 2160x1200 or 2560x1440 or 2800x1600 3200x1800 or 3840x2160 depending on the performance of the game. 

Probably a lot of dynamic resolution scalers 

Then again I'm hopefully optimistic this is all a unfounded roumor... 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Finally not a decade cycle for consoles. It's only been few years this time :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

No, this is a fully backwards-compatible, whole new console. PS4 has been out for what? 3.5? 4 years now? It's been outdated at release, it's pure trash now. It needs an upgrade, yesterday.

2 hours ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Sony is doing it right, all new games released will have to support both consoles so no1 is left out. I see this as WIN/WIN. People who don't want to buy new console will be able to play and enjoy same games as people who choose to buy.

3 hours ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Its good news to me since I was never going to get a PS4 with its original specs, now I may reconsider. Planning to get a 4K IPS monitor for my PC some time this year so the timing is perfect.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Ugh, I really want to buy it, but I have the PS4 already, and even if I manage to sell it for ~300€ish, there's no saying how much the PS4k will cost... :(

In any case, I think the "must ship with a PS4 and a better PS4k version" is a very smart move, it means there won't be PS4k exclusive games, thus it wont make the customers as angry, since this makes the new console not a requirement, but a possible upgrade.

The fact that they force require the same or higher frame rate is great as well.

4K support is nice I guess. I don't have a 4K TV (yet), but I do plan to eventually, and support for it is definitely nice.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

if I manage to sell it for ~300€ish

Not going to happen:

https://geizhals.de/?phist=911571&age=365

2 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

very smart move, it means there won't be PS4k exclusive games

Depends. 

I guess, this new generation won't be separated from the old generation in online games.

No matter if users of the old generation will be at a disadvantage or not, they will feel that way and therefore will also be much more likely to upgrade.

Normally if there aren't any new games, a PS-user sells his console and all games. That way he gets more money for a new generation. But they could not influence if he gets an XBox or PS. Enabling cross-generation online gaming will make the users upgrade their model instead of eventually switching completely.

Found an insanely good deal for a VPS by Time4VPS (Lithuania). Warning: I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, if you had any bad experience, please PM me. /// Warning2 (Sorry, should have added this earlier): Very Low Disk IO

1 x 2.4GHz (E5 2630 v3), 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD cached Raid 6, 500GB Traffic => ~$17.5 (15.84€) + Tax for 2 years (Prebuild Servers)

If this is true, the CPU will only be OCd, so why not upgrade the architecture? Or am I missing something?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If this is true, the CPU will only be OCd, so why not upgrade the architecture? Or am I missing something?

The focus of this upgrade revision is the UHD and VR markets, where the GPU power is critical. And since it is a mid-term hardware refresh, keeping the CPU architecture will make the cross-compatibility game development one less thing to worry about. Yea, Jaguar is still a tiny tablet-grade CPU, but the codebase is already mature for it.

I guess this could be appealing to some die hard Playstation fans, I personally can't see a real target audience.  If the console refresh is truly capable of high quality graphics at 4K resolutions with an acceptable framerate then the price should increase drastically(GTX 970 is $300+ and doesn't hit 30fps with High settings).  If I owned a PS4 I wouldn't upgrade unless I could sell my original PS4 for a reasonable price.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I'm gonna sell my Xbox One for this. I'm really hoping Sony puts 4K Blu-ray drives in these. Would make the upgrade even more worth it considering I have a 4K tv to support it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Eh as long as it doesn't affect the titles for the regular PS4 because like I've got a PS4 and a 1080p TV. I don't need or want whatever the PS4K or PS4 Neo or PS Neo or PS4.5 has hardware wise because as I said I already have a PS4 and I don't have a 4K TV.

I think for most cases 4K is overrated right now (much like VR).

(Though for other things I understand the need and use of 4K.

Drones are overrated for most cases

VR is overrated for most cases

4K is overrated for most cases

"Hoverboards" are just dumb, they're a miniaturized segway with out the handles...

"Hoverboards" in quotation marks because its name is a misnomer. You're not actually hovering because the board itself makes contact with the ground with wheels therefore it is not hovering.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, wcreek said:

"Hoverboards" are just dumb, they're a miniaturized segway with out the handles...

I admire that pragmatism of yours, though I wouldn't say that for drones. Drone camera shots are always a way to go

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

2 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

I admire that pragmatism of yours, though I wouldn't say that for drones.

Aye thank you lol.

idk I just feel like with drones there are few reasons it's useful.

6 hours ago, LePawel said:

No, this is a fully backwards-compatible, whole new console. PS4 has been out for what? 3.5? 4 years now? It's been outdated at release, it's pure trash now. It needs an upgrade, yesterday.

3.5.. 4? The thing isn't even 2 and half years old yet man. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

2 hours ago, wcreek said:

Eh as long as it doesn't affect the titles for the regular PS4 because like I've got a PS4 and a 1080p TV. I don't need or want whatever the PS4K or PS4 Neo or PS Neo or PS4.5 has hardware wise because as I said I already have a PS4 and I don't have a 4K TV.

I think for most cases 4K is overrated right now (much like VR).

(Though for other things I understand the need and use of 4K.

"Hoverboards" in quotation marks because its name is a misnomer. You're not actually hovering because the board itself makes contact with the ground with wheels therefore it is not hovering.

Well, that derailed quickly.

Id get one of these simply to get better frames.

- snip-

11 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Well, that derailed quickly.

Id get one of these simply to get better frames.

Eh that wasn't my intention to go OT but like I'm fine with the current PS4.

I don't agree with this move.

The best part about consoles is that you don't need to look up some guide if something is compatible or not. It only makes things worse that Sony is releasing PSVR which, I'm predicting if this rumor is true, will only increase further compatibility issues.