DOOM and the Players: How I Have Drawn My Conclusion to the Playerbases of All Games.

So after reading the Steam forums, reviews, and official articles, I have come to a conclusion that the player-base for all games is nothing more than a pile of elephant shit these days.

It's the same, now it sucks

They changed it, now it sucks
Unpleasable Fanbase
Why fandom can't have nice things

These are the things why video game designers are so goddamn frustrated with their player-base. It's like the players demand 1,001+ features at the same time in a game, or even move forward with a game franchise, or how "we are the greatest reviewers on Earth". They voiced their frustrations in every possible place possible (Including, but not limited to: blog posts and conferences). They're going "what the fuck! How can we make these people happy with our sequel of our (insert game) game?"

DOOM is trying to compete with the more bigger titles like Battlefield and Call of Duty. This is not an easy feat at all. There is your older player-base who indeed played DOOM and DOOM II: Hell on Earth, and your newer generation player-base. Trying to make DOOM play out like the older DOOM games isn't going to cut it at all. So is trying to make it play out like the newer games. So the developers at id Software behind DOOM has to find their middle ground one way or the other. So they took the classic gun-play and added some modern appointments (such as mantling/vaulting, double-jumping, and the melee execution system known as 'Glory Kills' which you don't have to do. It's optional) to the game to bring it up to date. The sad truth is that both camps aren't going to be happy, and you can't please everyone whatsoever. It's been proven that if people try to please everyone, they simply will fall out of the spotlight, like authors retiring altogether. And this is why we, as fanboys of our favorite game franchises, can't have nice things, because we act like a bunch of salty, unruly 12 year old's. Right now as it stands, I am taking the side of the developers because they're the ones shouldering all of this unnecessary bullshit we have thrown at them. And this is why we, as fanboys of our favorite game franchises, are the ones at fault for the most part, because they try to improve the game by taking in our lame criticisms that's nothing short of bitching and whining. And at the end of the day, we still shit on them. What kind of logic is that? To me, it makes literally no sense whatsoever! We criticize the developers. They improved their game with our input. And we shit on them after the fact. This is a sad tale of why we, as fanboys of our favorite game franchises, don't get nice things at all.

This generation's misbegotten player-base has gone to all Hell. That's all I have to say about it. The bottom line is if you want something nice, don't bitch and whine. How hard is that? If you're going to criticize, be: a) civil, b) rational, and above all, c) constructive! Criticism can only maintain its form. That is until it turns into nagging and ranting, which gets us nowhere at all.

I do apologize if this came out far too scathing for your taste, but I just want to write this up on the current state of player bases in general, and how horrible they've become. I also wanted to voice my frustration with player's logic and reasoning for why they've become they way they are because, as a video game developer student, I have to face this too. If you have questions or concerns, please PM me. Don't post them in the comments section. That's for the comments/opinions only.

What do you have to say about it @LinusTech and @Slick?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

i hate it when players  travel in mobs. and then gang bang you.

I get a halo-y feel when i play it.

i would give it a 6/10 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4   CPU: 4790K OVCK 4.7  CPU COOLER: H100iGTX (NOCTUA FANS) RAM: COSAIR VENGEANCE PRO (2x8) MOBO: GIGABYTE UD5H z97x  PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 WATT 80+ GOLD GRAPHICS CARD: GIGABYTE G1. GAMING WINDFORCE 970 4GB BOOT SSD: Crucial m550 M.2 256 GB HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB  2nd SSD:SAMGSUNG 500 GB 850 EVO 

What's DOOM?

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

The way I see it, the more casual audience from games such as the newer iterations of CoD is larger, but likely to be less loyal (i.e. they play it for one week after Christmas and that is it). The audience size is larger. These are the sorts of people who... say do not care if VSYNC is forced on, or if FPS is limited to 30/60.

Then there is the smaller, but more "hardcore" audience who are now in their late 20s and 30s who have played older games. The size of this audience is much smaller, but they are more likely to be loyal, IF you deliver what they want. However, their requirements are often much more demanding.

Unfortunately, a lot of the interests of these two groups conflict and game developers try to appeal to everyone by trying to accommodate both, not realising a lot of the requirements of the two groups are mutually exclusive. E.g. Death streaks in newer iterations of CoD.

1 minute ago, LynxThe1st said:

What's DOOM?

I'm referring to DOOM the video game, specifically DOOM 2016.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Just now, JurunceNK said:

I'm referring to DOOM the video game, specifically DOOM 2016.

Yeah what's the game about?

I've never heard of it

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

1 minute ago, LynxThe1st said:

Yeah what's the game about?

I've never heard of it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(2016_video_game)

This should do the trick. Also next time PM me your questions and/or concerns. I want to reserve the comments section for the comments, opinions, and/or criticisms people have in mind ;)

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I kind of felt like doom was going to be a crapshoot when the e3 trailer came out last year. It was missing too many things that made Doom, Doom.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

My concern is more about People who still preorder and buy every copy/paste shit or pay for dlc infested E3 Lies.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

My concern is more about People who still preorder and buy every copy/paste shit or pay for dlc infested E3 Lies.

I couldnt agree more. I have a giant rant surrounding this that im considering putting on LTT

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The issues you described there, as well as the fact companies seem incapable of listening to people* even when there is a fairly unified desire among the customer base are good explanations of why so often products don't line up with what everyone wants, or don't get received well, much to the surprise of the company.

* That example not good enough?  How about when Linus was talking about that company guy being worried he'd hate something because they went for matte plastic and was surprised to hear that Linus actually doesn't want gloss plastic on every square inch of every product, like this was some kind of revelation their focus groups and research just couldn't pick up on somehow xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Couldn't agree more with the OP. Seems like more and more "gamers" (mostly PC gamers than any other) are not happy and can't seem to enjoy any new/modern games, even if the game is (more or less) just fine. It's like they find more enjoyment in whining and complaining about games. Elitism and false sense of entitlement is strong these days. It's getting tiresome and annoying. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

57 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Couldn't agree more with the OP. Seems like more and more "gamers" (mostly PC gamers than any other) are not happy and can't seem to enjoy any new/modern games, even if the game is (more or less) just fine. It's like they find more enjoyment in whining and complaining about games. Elitism and false sense of entitlement is strong these days. It's getting tiresome and annoying. 

I know right? Bill Cosby said that the key to failure is trying to please everyone, and that's true. You can't please everyone at all. It's like you do one thing and you piss off that 1/3 of your player-base. Do something different and you piss off 2/3 of your player-base instead. I wonder when will people pull their heads out of la-la land ass and realize this. Oh wait! Never because no one gives two shits!

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I can definitely appreciate what the devs are trying to do. And the game is fun for a round or two. But it's boring after that. I feel that it gets shallow really quickly. I also agree with what you said, they're trying to please everyone, but by doing so, they've just made everyone unhappy. I don't think it's as bad as all the steam reviews make it out to be, but I don't think it's very fun 

I totally agree with this, great read btw.

Lately it seems everywhere i look there is nothing but negativity and bitching. like nothings ever good enough for anyone. the way people jump on the bandwagon and complain about things that they don't even understand, like fallout 4 and the complaints about its engine.O.o. people will always want more and i guess it will never be enough.. 

hey-ho i'm enjoying Doom.. lets go kill some demons!

game totally reminds me of unreal lol

but thats the multiplayer, i never played doom for multiplayer aspect lol

Its not one market, different people want different things from a game. The amount of sales you get is directly dependent on how many of the important aspects you tick off. You can ignore these different sub groups of gamers but everyone is different and has a different combination of critical aspects. Unless those groups who would otherwise be interested in a game express their displeasure with poor porting its not going to change.

I've been waiting for the new Doom since I built my PC last month. I'm old school and been around since the beginning of 3D shooters. I'm mainly interested in the single player campaign story with monsters jumping out at me as I progress through the game. Multiplayer comes afterwards. I did the same thing with the Unreal series and Quake. My best times were the old Quakeworld days of dial-up gaming where me and a friend ran servers and decided the map rotation. We even formed a QW team for a while. But today's FPS multiplayer scene is rough. I have a hard time just getting above breaking even in Quake Live because other players are so good and dominate the maps. But it's still good fun and you can't take it too seriously. These great players just have too much free time on their hands as compared to me with a family to support and limited play time.