Apple VS FBI, round 2, FBI wants Apple to unlock iPhone 5s

samcool55

The U.S. said it’ll keep fighting to get the company’s help in getting data off a phone in Brooklyn, New York, that belonged to a drug dealer because Apple provided assistance in accessing such devices earlier. In a court filing Friday, the government said it’s going ahead with an appeal of a judge’s order denying its request for Apple’s help.

The FBI isn't prepared to give up and are preparing themselves for another fight.

This time it's about an iPhone 5s from a drug dealer, so no longer a murderer but a simple drug dealer.

This time there is no iCloud backup, so the only way they can get information this time is by unlocking the device.

It is running an older version, iOS 7.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-08/u-s-presses-ahead-with-appeal-in-brooklyn-iphone-privacy-case-imru4g3e

Not completely unexpected that this could happen, and this makes clear the FBI wasn't thinking of keeping it just a single case last time.

The criminal level went down from a murderer to a drug dealer which is another sign of the FBI trying to get eventually a pre-installed backdoor.

Maybe this is to show the public they can't hack everything (yet) and maybe make them feel safer, i don't know.

But it is a bad thing they are trying it again...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Not just murderer, but (iirc) mass murderer/terrorist.  If we take the ratio from that to drug dealer and extrapolate, they'll be hacking the phones of jaywalkers soon xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not just murderer, but (iirc) mass murderer/terrorist.  If we take the ratio from that to drug dealer and extrapolate, they'll be hacking the phones of jaywalkers soon xD 

Well that's at least where we are heading to! sadly...

Let's hope we don't go there, would be horrible.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Well that's at least where we are heading to! sadly...

Let's hope we don't go there, would be horrible.

Well I think it's no secret that, if offered the choice, the FBI would choose being able to check anyone's complete phone contents and history at any time over not being able to do that, but I guess its just a matter of how the battle for that goes.  I guess Apple kind of won the recent one, but that's just the beginning, as you've shown :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

they'll be hacking the phones of jaywalkers soon xD 

"Sir please give me your phone, I need to check the contents"

"Why officer?"

"You were jaywalking and we have a court order to inspect all phones of criminals. That includes you"

Real conversation between jaywalker and police officer, hopefully not 2016

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Shit girl, you returned your library book a day late?! Give me your phone so I can try to look for your nudes

Seriously though I remember there was a thing where a traffic cop copied a woman's nudes to his own email address

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

And then Apple, to piss off the U.S. Govt and all Governments, they'll build in two layered hardware and two layered software encryption, and then require an eye-scan, finger-print, and voice recognition.  Actually, that'd be great.  iPhone 8, make it happen!

How is this news? Do you really think that the FBI only has 2 phones they want decrypted?

-KuJoe

Apple vs FBI, round II.

Fight!

/jk, well, it has iOS 7, so they can find a hole.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

6 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

How is this news? Do you really think that the FBI only has 2 phones they want decrypted?

We all know that the FBI wants more phones decrypted. But like the last time with th 5c, the FBI once again is taking on the fight with apple trying to force them again in unlocking a phone. And this proves that the 5c wasn't an isolated case, they are trying to get what they want again by taking it to court. Again.

appel legal department be like: ugg not this shit again!

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

10 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Apple vs FBI, round II.

Fight!

/jk, well, it has iOS 7, so they can find a hole.

If that was the case then Apple has the keys to that phone and the FBI wouldn't have to make this case.

I mean, they'll lose it anyway but I like their dedication.

Ye ole' train

59 minutes ago, Potato_King said:

"Sir please give me your phone, I need to check the contents"

"Why officer?"

"You were jaywalking and we have a court order to inspect all phones of criminals. That includes you"

Real conversation between jaywalker and police officer, hopefully not 2016

Nah, that won't happen.  They'd just see someone standing near the side of the road like they might be going to cross and then they'd beat them to death and then send the phone to the FBI

And the walls keep tumbling down fuckers!

Details separate people.

Seeing as this is on iOS 7 Apple can and probably will unlock it as they have said before they locked themselves out of 8 and newer versions. Idk how the secure enclave fits into that though...

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

59 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Seeing as this is on iOS 7 Apple can and probably will unlock it as they have said before they locked themselves out of 8 and newer versions. Idk how the secure enclave fits into that though...

Well if they do it, it sets the precedent that they will, but does that matter if they only do it one old versions that "anyone" could break anyway?  Like, if everyone knows they simply can't get into the new ones, does that free them to be able to crack old ones without fear of being pressured in the future?  hm....

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well if they do it, it sets the precedent that they will, but does that matter if they only do it one old versions that "anyone" could break anyway?  Like, if everyone knows they simply can't get into the new ones, does that free them to be able to crack old ones without fear of being pressured in the future?  hm....

They've already unlocked older phones for police and such. There is no precedent being set due to Apple not needing to completely reengineer an OS to get into the phone. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

On 8-4-2016 at 8:27 PM, SurvivorNVL said:

And then Apple, to piss off the U.S. Govt and all Governments, they'll build in two layered hardware and two layered software encryption, and then require an eye-scan, finger-print, and voice recognition.  Actually, that'd be great.  iPhone 8, make it happen!

And iPhone 8 will also require a dick-print. (And pussy-print too of course)

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280