Vivaldi 1.0 released after over a year of development

Nowak

Sauce: https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/102-vivaldi-finale-1-0

Sauce 2: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2016/04/06/vivaldi-launches-challenge-to-chrome-and-firefox/#61000426384e

modern-classic-poster-2.png

When we started building a browser, we wanted to do it on our terms and for our users. So far, we've kept that promise. Vivaldi isn't like any other browser. We're not trying to make it simple in an effort to appeal to every user. We're introducing features and customizations that browsers today don't have. We're making it for you, and you deserve more from your browser.  

That focus is very important. Vivaldi should adapt to you. It shouldn't feel like a browser for everyone. Because it isn't. It's for you.  

Last February, I heard of this new browser on the block. It was being headed by Jon von Tetzchner, co-founder and former CEO of Opera Software, and is being built with the full intention of picking up where Opera 12 left off. Since Opera Software decided to change their direction entirely, Chrome is basic in its functionality and Firefox has been eschewing power user features in favor of simplicity, there hasn't been a good truly power user browser in the market. A browser focused on the user with rich customization options, rather than being "one size fits all". Vivaldi aims to change that.

While they didn't manage to get every feature they wanted in the browser before launch, that is pretty understandable as some of the bigger features, like an integrated email client and browser sync, are gonna take time to get right. Even then, the browser is still more feature-rich than the competition, offering greater control over the browser than its competitors, a very nice space-saving feature known as "tab stacking", full keyboard navigation and altering the UI (which can be bent further with CSS files). A full listing of features currently in Vivaldi can be found here.

So, is Chrome feeling a bit too stale for you? I'd suggest checking out Vivaldi. I've been following it since the first alpha release and it's only gotten way better over time, all thanks to user feedback. It's good to change up the scenery once in a while, anyway.

I have been using Opera for a long time and I really like it so I should check this out.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 minute ago, matrix07012 said:

I have been using Opera for a long time and I really like it so I should check this out.

It's being developed by much of the same team that made the original Opera. Those people know how to make a great browser. Would definitely recommend checking it out.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

This just sounds like another pointless browser, I don't really see what the point they are trying to say about Firefox either, you are able to do the exact same things as you always have, they just changed the UI somewhat.

12 minutes ago, Chasem121 said:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

This just sounds like another pointless browser, I don't really see what the point they are trying to say about Firefox either, you are able to do the exact same things as you always have, they just changed the UI somewhat.

There hasn't been a browser targeted at power users since Opera 12. People who want their browser to be a tool rather than just a means. This aims to change that. For people like me, Chrome and Firefox's feature sets don't cut it, and we want a browser that can be more than just a browser. What other browser wants to integrate a frickin' email client, for example?

Also, tab groups and full theming support have been removed from Firefox, among other things because "oh, nobody used them", so no, you're not able to do the exact same things you have always done with Firefox.

34 minutes ago, Daring said:

Also, tab groups and full theming support have been removed from Firefox, among other things because "oh, nobody used them", so no, you're not able to do the exact same things you have always done with Firefox.

On that note, I can say that they were wrong with that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Firefox master race.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Finally. was waiting for this. will give it a shot tonight. we'll see how it handles my 356 tabs in 3 windows.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

isnt vivaldi just chromium with a skin

Yea, last i checked it was.

That's what Opera is too

I thought they would manage to get sync before launch. Still a no go for me until then... 

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

Yea, last i checked it was.

That's what Opera is too

And Chrome

Been trying it out in beta. It is a really good browser, but it is really intended for power browser users. There is so many options and customization that you can really do with this browser over the other ones.

23 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

does watching a youtube video still take up 20% cpu?

try hardware acceleration.

Used it for a few hours now, noticed it is slower than Chrome.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Don't really like their privacy policy so i'm not going to bother.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

Use an earlier version of firefox (eg. Version 4), all current web browsers are slow.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Was considering trying it out. Noticed the license is proprietary. Stopped considering trying it out.

I'm not exactly a fan of Mozilla, but I can get all the functionality I want out of Firefox with add-ons and (on Linux anyway) it's been rock stable for me.

1 hour ago, Cruorzy said:

No, you didn't.

7 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

isnt vivaldi just chromium with a skin

Yes, but that's because Opera Software refuses to release the Presto source code. If it was, they woulda used Presto instead.

1 hour ago, Svinsparbriivu said:

Was considering trying it out. Noticed the license is proprietary. Stopped considering trying it out.

I'm not exactly a fan of Mozilla, but I can get all the functionality I want out of Firefox with add-ons and (on Linux anyway) it's been rock stable for me.

UI is proprietary, underlying browser is open source. Modified Chromium source code can be downloaded from here.

I've been using Vivaldi for quite some time now, probably close to a year and I love it. Tab stacking is awesome for managing huge numbers of open pages

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

Just now, FabulousOtter said:

I've been using Vivaldi for quite some time now, probably close to a year and I love it. Tab stacking is awesome for managing huge numbers of open pages

Tab stacking was one of my favorite Opera 12 features, really glad to see it back.

I have the feeling some people do not agree with me, i will probably install it on my own PC just to see if i could be wrong.:ph34r:

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Hmmm seems to be missing a feature that I miss from Opera- right click + scroll to cycle through tabs