Switching from Samsung to an iPhone

I feel like it is time for me to get a new phone after having my s21 ultra for 3 years, as the screen is broken and I'm a bit bored of it. The bored Ness made me think to switch to an iPhone to see how the other side looks after not having an iPhone for like 7 years. I had Samsung phones (Note 8 and now S21 Ultra) for the past year and I had a iPhone 6s plus before. 

Does anyone have experience switching to an iPhone after having android for a while and how was it? I'm looking at 15 pro or S24 ultra 

If you don't already use an iPhone, please don't get it, you will just get locked into a single ecosystem, which is never good. The S24U trades blows with 15 Pro max, without having all the apple downsides. If you care about privacy, you should get a pixel phone, and install grapheneOS on it

Whether you can switch or not depends on what devices you use. If you still have that 6S, I would try to daily it for a week. If you find yourself liking the switch, then you can go for something newer. The 6S isn't a great phone today, but still will support most apps and can provide a sufficient experience for a week of daily use. Stuff like battery and performance are going to be similar across Samsung and Apple if you aren't interested in Ai or having a better video camera, so it really comes down to the OS. Which do you like better?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

4 minutes ago, MiszS said:

If you don't already use an iPhone, please don't get it, you will just get locked into a single ecosystem, which is never good. The S24U trades blows with 15 Pro max, without having all the apple downsides. If you care about privacy, you should get a pixel phone, and install grapheneOS on it

You can use an iPhone without getting locked into an ecosystem lol. I use an iPhone and a PC.

wdym by "trades"?

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

6 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

You can use an iPhone without getting locked into an ecosystem lol. I use an iPhone and a PC.

wdym by "trades"?

True you can, but I mean that there is no point switching to iphone, if you don't rely on the ecosystem already

Just now, MiszS said:

True you can, but I mean that there is no point switching to iphone, if you don't rely on the ecosystem already

Not necessarily. There are benefits and downsides, just the same as staying on Android. It depends on your interests. If a person isn't a hardcore enthusiast who needs sideloading and personalization galore, then there's no reason to stay on Android.

Just FYI, no matter which side you go to run the risk of being locked into someone's ecosystem if you buy heavily into it. It might be Apple's, it might be Google's, it might be Samsung's, but every major phone vendor has their own suite of apps, hardware, and services that work best with their own devices. This is not an exclusive thing to Apple or Android.

However, as an example, you can get Apple TV and Apple Music on Android, and you can get the Google app suite on iOS if you like it. You can even use Microsoft's productivity suite on either platform. You're not really running a risk of "locked in" no matter where you go - the big "locked in" downside on iOS that everyone talks about is that you can't sideload apps outside of the EU. If you weren't already sideloading apps on your S21 Ultra, then there's no difference as most people don't sideload apps.

I've used plenty of iPhones and Android phones in the past - currently on a 15 Pro. My brother has an S23 Ultra. There's nothing that either of us can do that the other can't do, minus his stylus stuff which in his own admission he never really uses. He just got the S23U for the big screen. There's stuff that the iPhone CAN do that an S24U can't, and vice-versa, but fundamentally they're both extremely capable devices that will offer you an excellent experience.

As far as apps go, I've noticed anecdotally that some app developers seem to prioritize iOS app development over Android in terms of new features and polish. Google famously has released updates to some of their major apps to iOS faster than they did for their own Pixel phones.

If you're interested in manually transferring data, both phones have 10Gbps USB-C ports, for what it's worth.

10 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Whether you can switch or not depends on what devices you use. If you still have that 6S, I would try to daily it for a week. If you find yourself liking the switch, then you can go for something newer. The 6S isn't a great phone today, but still will support most apps and can provide a sufficient experience for a week of daily use. Stuff like battery and performance are going to be similar across Samsung and Apple if you aren't interested in Ai or having a better video camera, so it really comes down to the OS. Which do you like better?

Sadly I got rid of the iPhone many years ago. I was considering getting an iPhone 13 pro as a test, as it has 120hz screen as a quick test. My current experience of ios is so old that I can't tell you which I like more

Cameras are better at both phone that I need, ai sounds neat but not essential, although I loved the s pen

I do not have any ecosystem products I have a pc an Windows laptop, and I'm yet to get a smart watch again for health monitoring 

The point of the switch would be to shake things up and try out something new and different, I'm just not sure how different an iPhone is today if this makes sense

2 minutes ago, itsabearcannon said:

If you're interested in manually transferring data, both phones have 10Gbps USB-C ports, for what it's worth.

Note: Only the 15 Pro has a USB3 port.

21 minutes ago, HippY said:

I feel like it is time for me to get a new phone after having my s21 ultra for 3 years, as the screen is broken and I'm a bit bored of it. The bored Ness made me think to switch to an iPhone to see how the other side looks after not having an iPhone for like 7 years. I had Samsung phones (Note 8 and now S21 Ultra) for the past year and I had a iPhone 6s plus before. 

Does anyone have experience switching to an iPhone after having android for a while and how was it? I'm looking at 15 pro or S24 ultra 

I've used both for several years personally, the simplicity of an iPhone makes it win in my mind.

The only reason I use android is because Apple doesn't make the mini anymore, and the Z flip series has solved most the problems I have with smartphones.

iPhones are better basic smartphones than androids, simple as that. It's when you go deeper on whether or not one is better than the other. For me before, it was Messages from the Web that kept me on Android, but I believe I can get that on either through Google Fi, even on iPhone.

Unless you want to dive into foldables, there's really nothing special about Android for a basic smartphone user. iPhones generally get better game support too with the simpler hardware ecosystem.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

4 minutes ago, HippY said:

I've had to juggle Android and iPhone devices side by side, and my wife switched from Android a few years ago.

Hardware-wise, you'll probably like it. You won't have the S21U's mega zoom, but a 15 Pro or Pro Max will deliver better overall photography... and much better video. Apple is known for generally better video stabilization and consistency between lenses (i.e. no jarring shifts in colour, smoother transitions). They're solidly fast and smooth, and the Pro Max in particular will last a long while on battery.

I'm sure you're familiar with the core differences in software, so it's more a question of migrating smoothly. Apple has its Move to iOS app, and a lot of your apps are going to either store info in the cloud already or have a way to export it. That includes the usual social media and messaging apps. Google apps like Photos also make it fairly easy to hop over.

Text messaging is the main thing I'd consider. iMessage is great, but once you start a conversation with someone using it you'll have to remember that the chat won't migrate back to Android. You can always turn it off if you want to stick to SMS (and with iOS 18, RCS) no matter what.

The accessory ecosystem is still very strong, and USB-C means you're not tied quite so much to proprietary cables. But I would note that third-party smartwatches are relatively limited on iPhones compared to Android.

The Galaxy S24 Ultra is, by all accounts, a great Android smartphone; I particularly like that low-reflection display. But if you're bored of the S21U, the S24U won't necessarily thrill you.

Just now, HippY said:

The point of the switch would be to shake things up and try out something new and different, I'm just not sure how different an iPhone is today if this makes sense

I'd like to start off by saying that I wish more people thought that way. It's an admirable feat.

1 minute ago, HippY said:

Sadly I got rid of the iPhone many years ago. I was considering getting an iPhone 13 pro as a test, as it has 120hz screen as a quick test. My current experience of ios is so old that I can't tell you which I like more

As a "test"? Do you mean you'd return it if you didn't like it? If this is a case, what're some must-haves that you want in a phone? 

2 minutes ago, HippY said:

I do not have any ecosystem products I have a pc an Windows laptop, and I'm yet to get a smart watch again for health monitoring 

The Apple Watch isn't a bad idea if you're looking for an iPhone. You can buy used ones for incredibly cheap, and they last FOREVER (still daily an Apple Watch that's 9 years old).

5 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Note: Only the 15 Pro has a USB3 port.

They did state that they're interested in a 15 Pro or an S24 Ultra. Those are the only two devices to which I was referring, since OP specified those models in particular.

3 minutes ago, itsabearcannon said:

They did state that they're interested in a 15 Pro or an S24 Ultra. Those are the only two devices to which I was referring, since OP specified those models in particular.

I know, I was just adding just in case.

I will try to reply as quickly as I can, but I'm on a meeting so it takes me a while to reply

4 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

I'd like to start off by saying that I wish more people thought that way. It's an admirable feat.

As a "test"? Do you mean you'd return it if you didn't like it? If this is a case, what're some must-haves that you want in a phone? 

The Apple Watch isn't a bad idea if you're looking for an iPhone. You can buy used ones for incredibly cheap, and they last FOREVER (still daily an Apple Watch that's 9 years old).

Must have :120 hz screen, USB c is really handy, and all other must haves are pretty much included. The test was more about if I'm not certain about the switch, but honestly you guys are making some solid points. Interesting, I take a look at apple watches 

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I've had to juggle Android and iPhone devices side by side, and my wife switched from Android a few years ago.

Hardware-wise, you'll probably like it. You won't have the S21U's mega zoom, but a 15 Pro or Pro Max will deliver better overall photography... and much better video. Apple is known for generally better video stabilization and consistency between lenses (i.e. no jarring shifts in colour, smoother transitions). They're solidly fast and smooth, and the Pro Max in particular will last a long while on battery.

I'm sure you're familiar with the core differences in software, so it's more a question of migrating smoothly. Apple has its Move to iOS app, and a lot of your apps are going to either store info in the cloud already or have a way to export it. That includes the usual social media and messaging apps. Google apps like Photos also make it fairly easy to hop over.

Text messaging is the main thing I'd consider. iMessage is great, but once you start a conversation with someone using it you'll have to remember that the chat won't migrate back to Android. You can always turn it off if you want to stick to SMS (and with iOS 18, RCS) no matter what.

The accessory ecosystem is still very strong, and USB-C means you're not tied quite so much to proprietary cables. But I would note that third-party smartwatches are relatively limited on iPhones compared to Android.

The Galaxy S24 Ultra is, by all accounts, a great Android smartphone; I particularly like that low-reflection display. But if you're bored of the S21U, the S24U won't necessarily thrill you.

Thank you, I was looking for this type of insight 

5 minutes ago, Agall said:

I've used both for several years personally, the simplicity of an iPhone makes it win in my mind.

The only reason I use android is because Apple doesn't make the mini anymore, and the Z flip series has solved most the problems I have with smartphones.

iPhones are better basic smartphones than androids, simple as that. It's when you go deeper on whether or not one is better than the other. For me before, it was Messages from the Web that kept me on Android, but I believe I can get that on either through Google Fi, even on iPhone.

Unless you want to dive into foldables, there's really nothing special about Android for a basic smartphone user. iPhones generally get better game support too with the simpler hardware ecosystem.

Foldables are neat, I'm just worried that they would make using the phone a bit more cumbersome. I'm sure I will have a foldable phone eventually, but I will wait a few generations 

Again thank you for your replies, I found YouTube reviews strange, always assuming that you are either fully into one ecosystem, or you are about to switch from the previous gen, but I got a seemingly nicely balanced help here

5 minutes ago, HippY said:

I will try to reply as quickly as I can, but I'm on a meeting so it takes me a while to reply

Must have :120 hz screen, USB c is really handy, and all other must haves are pretty much included. The test was more about if I'm not certain about the switch, but honestly you guys are making some solid points. Interesting, I take a look at apple watches 

Thank you, I was looking for this type of insight 

Foldables are neat, I'm just worried that they would make using the phone a bit more cumbersome. I'm sure I will have a foldable phone eventually, but I will wait a few generations 

Again thank you for your replies, I found YouTube reviews strange, always assuming that you are either fully into one ecosystem, or you are about to switch from the previous gen, but I got a seemingly nicely balanced help here

I've had a 120Hz screen on my phone for a few years now and never use it since my phone is always in battery saver mode. I've never had a scenario where I've felt compelled to go to 120Hz either, but I also don't have social media to doom scroll. Noting, I've been a 144Hz G-sync user on the PC side since 2014, and have had 240Hz on my desktop for almost 2 years now. I just value battery life and carry-ability over all with a smartphone. 

The Z Flip for me I use probably 80% of the time from just the front screen. My ideal phone would be just the front display, but the Unihertz Atom I used a few years ago's battery only lasted 6 months.

I think the smartphone choice game comes down to what you value. As I mention above, I value battery life and ease of carry over all, which is why I go for small phones and don't use it often. I would even take a 2.5" screen phone if there was a reliable option, the Z flip 5 being as close to that as you can get (had a Z flip 3 before it for 2 years). 

Having a 120Hz display and type-c as qualifiers is nice and all, but that doesn't really narrow it down. Most flagship phones, even iPhones have that capability now, so I would dig deeper into specifically what you value in how you use the device, hopefully my example helps.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

37 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Not necessarily. There are benefits and downsides, just the same as staying on Android. It depends on your interests. If a person isn't a hardcore enthusiast who needs sideloading and personalization galore, then there's no reason to stay on Android.

Tf you mean there is no reason to stay on android, i would first want a reason to switch from it, because i can't think of one. But i definitely know of reasons not to. Like Apple scanning your photos, insane repair costs for the smallest things, or literally not being able to transfer files through usb, as well as lots of other small quality of life downgrades, because Apple obviously knows better what you want

2 minutes ago, MiszS said:

Tf you mean there is no reason to stay on android, i would first want a reason to switch from it, because i can't think of one. But i definitely know of reasons not to. Like Apple scanning your photos, insane repair costs for the smallest things, or literally not being able to transfer files through usb, as well as lots of other small quality of life downgrades, because Apple obviously knows better what you want

Scanning your photos? What does that mean? Other companies don't have low repair costs, either. You can transfer files through USB. 

Most of this is just ignorance on your end.

12 minutes ago, Agall said:

I've had a 120Hz screen on my phone for a few years now and never use it since my phone is always in battery saver mode. I've never had a scenario where I've felt compelled to go to 120Hz either, but I also don't have social media to doom scroll. Noting, I've been a 144Hz G-sync user on the PC side since 2014, and have had 240Hz on my desktop for almost 2 years now. I just value battery life and carry-ability over all with a smartphone. 

The Z Flip for me I use probably 80% of the time from just the front screen. My ideal phone would be just the front display, but the Unihertz Atom I used a few years ago's battery only lasted 6 months.

I think the smartphone choice game comes down to what you value. As I mention above, I value battery life and ease of carry over all, which is why I go for small phones and don't use it often. I would even take a 2.5" screen phone if there was a reliable option, the Z flip 5 being as close to that as you can get (had a Z flip 3 before it for 2 years). 

Having a 120Hz display and type-c as qualifiers is nice and all, but that doesn't really narrow it down. Most flagship phones, even iPhones have that capability now, so I would dig deeper into specifically what you value in how you use the device, hopefully my example helps.

I will be honest with you, a mid level phone would be perfect for me. I am getting a flagship phone because when I grew up I always wanted the latest and greatest and now finally can afford it, but I don't change my phones often, as I can't waste that much money. 

A smaller phone would be better for me in general, just general handling and it would be easier to mount it in my car. I prefer 120hz,it just smoother and I like the look, and my phone survives 1 day easily on a battery. 

1 minute ago, HippY said:

I will be honest with you, a mid level phone would be perfect for me. I am getting a flagship phone because when I grew up I always wanted the latest and greatest and now finally can afford it, but I don't change my phones often, as I can't waste that much money. 

A smaller phone would be better for me in general, just general handling and it would be easier to mount it in my car. I prefer 120hz,it just smoother and I like the look, and my phone survives 1 day easily on a battery. 

Well then just repairing the screen would make the most sense, since your phone is still pretty good

Just now, GoStormPlays said:

Scanning your photos? What does that mean? Other companies don't have low repair costs, either. You can transfer files through USB. 

Most of this is just ignorance on your end.

Literally scanning through your photos, to "see if you have anything illegal". Maybe you can transfer files through USB now, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't do it before. How is the lack of quality of life features, ignorance on my end? Why isn't there a basic thing like the back button, call recording, or even customize anything, because you don't have to be an enthusiast to not like the stock look. Even all of those aside, not everyone wants, or has that kind of money to spend on a phone, for literally $900 you will get a 60Hz display, if this isn't a scam idk what is. Same with the storage, if you want to have any decent amount of storage, you have to pay an insane markup for it, and while you also pay extra for storage in android phones, it's still not as much, with the option to get a phone with a microSD card slot, like the A55, which is a fairly high end phone.

25 minutes ago, HippY said:

iPhone 15 Pro. Type-c and 120Hz. The regular 15 doesn't have 120Hz iirc. The magsafe system allows for some very interesting accessories, including car mounts. I think most people underestimate how easy it is to switch, especially tech savvy people.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

1 hour ago, HippY said:

currently an iphone user: don't make the jump, sure it's easy to use, and imessage and live photos are pretty good, but battery life is bad, and you become an npc

gaming system: R7 3700X @ 4.25Ghz cpu / B450 STEEL LEGEND mobo / 4x8gb corsair Vengeance @3333Mhz ram / RX 7900XTX pulse gpu / Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cpu cooler /Coolermaster Qube 500 case / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 12 1500w power supply

laptop: Dell xps 9510, 3.5k OLED, i7 11800h, rtx 3050 ti, 2x16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, 1TB main drive, 2TB add in ssd

23 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

and you become an npc

??

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, MiszS said:

Like Apple scanning your photos

Just FYI, this isn't unique to Apple and a lot of it was fearmongering about features that never got deployed. Google does it with Google Photos and what used to be Picasa (albeit for the purposes of training their library search functionality), and the CSAM scanning piece never made it into a release build of iOS. It was scrapped after consumer backlash, which is exactly what you want to happen when companies announce a feature that would compromise privacy for extra functionality or dubious claims of "security". They even ended up doubling down the other way and introduced iCloud ADP, which fully end-to-end encrypts even your photos where Apple doesn't have a decryption key.

The only remaining skeleton functionality from that whole debacle is actually something useful if you have kids. Under the parental controls section, you can have it warn the child and also notify the parent if a child's device receives a message that may contain unwanted inappropriate photos. That way, you can have a healthy discussion with your kid about boundaries and the potential legal ramifications of sharing content like that.