Sony to reject any PlaystationVR games that drop below 60fps.

CGurrell

So 60fps isn't hard on PS4  as  shown by, Metro  LL &  2033, Battlefront 

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

If only the "next gen" standards weren't garbage...

On top of that the last of us is a game that was cleverly designed to contain as much eye candy as possible while keeping the performance high. The environments are very restrictive and there aren't too many characters on screen at a time.

This is the the definition of optimization 

Make the game a little more action oriented and the pain will start.

What is : Metal Gear Solid V for 200 Alex. Or the Uncharted collection at 1080 60. Uncharted 3 still looks good. 

Besides, I still don't think 60 fps is acceptable for vr.

Neither does Sony, that's why they spent time and money developing technology that they believe massively improves the quality of 60hz processed VR, Sony doesn't say it's as good as 90hz

Honestly PSVR is the only VR head set I have interest in because it's the only one that can play VR games with hardware I currently own 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

(400$ plus the external box), 

It's 400$ plus a $60 camera, the hdmi splitter box is included in the 400$ launch price. 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

3 hours ago, Neokolzia said:

Does that mean all the people that crusade about people not being able to see above 30fps will finally stop and understand xD?

Maybe.  Some people will still cry about it though. Garenteed!

I hope Sony did a fricken great job on the external processing unit thing for them to actually get over 60hz. Maybe they will do an amazing job and we could get 90hz!

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Good for Sony. But God damn that took forever, that shit should had been mandatory on all console games not just VR.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

4 hours ago, WarWeeny said:

most VR games will be limited in space, you will never get an open world VR, not until videocards and devices have matured enough to handle it.

And some of the showed games do look very good, Eve Valkyrie, ace combat 7, gran-turismo sport, and Robison all look good, so i do not fear games will look really bad on VR.

PCs are powerful enough for an open world VR game. Playstations, however, are not - at least not at their peak graphical fidelity.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

53 minutes ago, Potato_King said:

Maybe.  Some people will still cry about it though. Garenteed!

I hope Sony did a fricken great job on the external processing unit thing for them to actually get over 60hz. Maybe they will do an amazing job and we could get 90hz!

Fps != hz. The box won't add processing power to the ps4 (nor would it be possible to do that without redesigning the entire thing). It will merely do some audio and video signal processing to support vr properly including the higher refresh rates but it certainly won't do anything for fps. 

Sony only really have it on the cards to make VR mainstream. The better that psvr does the better the oculus and the vive will do. From what I've watched on YouTube from both tested and Anthony Carboni is that the psvr probably offers 70% of what the vive and oculus can do. Pretty sure there are more devs working on psvr, not sure about that think it's around 250 devs. I'm really hoping that devs on psvr don't muddy the waters that is VR. Only really 1 game on psvr is like this from what I've seen. Also kind of curious to see how ps move performs, I didn't think that the tracking was that good in the ps3 days. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

meh, does it matter? they might degrade quality to achieve the fps for playstation specific hardware

Details separate people.

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

PCs are powerful enough for an open world VR game. Playstations, however, are not - at least not at their peak graphical fidelity.

even PC's aren't powerful enough.

Just look at the demo of VR, barely 10% of PCs can even run that as "ready" and that is in a small room with a robot, let alone a whole open world like skyrim.

6 hours ago, werto165 said:

Sony only really have it on the cards to make VR mainstream. The better that psvr does the better the oculus and the vive will do.

Doubtful, since the vive is almost twice as expensive, same with oculus with tit's 600 pricepoint.

Umm...I mean I get it, but I just can't explain it: your hardware is weak fucking sauce, yet you demand steady 60 FPS minimum (which is remarkably hard to accomplish). Sure VR will work a lot better that way, but you outta think devs would be hesitant to code for VR as it is, yet they're throwing more artificial constrains.

That alleged PS4.5 can't come soon enough.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

Just look at the demo of VR, barely 10% of PCs can even run that as "ready" and that is in a small room with a robot, let alone a whole open world like skyrim.

The demo results are a bit misleading.

I have 4 PCs in my house, 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

Running the demo on them shows only 1 of the PCs pass the VR "Compatible" requirements.

Just taking my PCs the results would show only 1/4 of PCs ready for VR, but the thing is only 1 of those are meant to be a serious gaming machine and that serious machine easily meets the "Ready" requirements.

What you really need is a poll that shows how many households with gaming quality PCs are ready for VR.

PSVR on the PS4 will be as popular as 3D on the PS3

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Umm...I mean I get it, but I just can't explain it: your hardware is weak fucking sauce, yet you demand steady 60 FPS minimum (which is remarkably hard to accomplish). Sure VR will work a lot better that way, but you outta think devs would be hesitant to code for VR as it is, yet they're throwing more artificial constrains.

That alleged PS4.5 can't come soon enough.

60 FPS minimum is not that hard to accomplish, it just means the graphics will have to be less advanced.

And it's not an "artificial constraint" at all, it's an absolutely necessary requirement. Getting frame drops on a monitor or TV, eh, it's a bit annoying but you can deal with it. In VR, it's like the whole world is stuttering, making your brain think something's horribly wrong. It's a great way to make millions of people feel sick. That's completely unacceptable, and Sony are absolutely right to enforce this requirement.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

18 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Well, they will have a fun time making that not drop below 60 fps with a good looking game like that.

I wonder of any games at 120fps will come out for the psvr. Doubt it. I don't think there will be any good chance for console vr untill next generation with Sony's standards.

I imagine they'd just be platformers. That PC struggles to run 30fps/1080p without the whole console lagging out once you try to do anything else. Can't really see it pushing out 120fps in Battlefront. Seems a bit far-fetched imo.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

3 hours ago, WarWeeny said:

it doesn't matter, pcs have the potential to be powerful enough because the hardware is available. On top of that they suffer less from the addition of multiple npcs and more complex physics because of more powerful cpus.

Consoles on the other hand have fixed hardware and that hardware is insufficient.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am really interested in seeing how the super cheap and slow package of PS4+PSVR compare to the 3x more expensive minimum specs of PC + Occulus / Vive.

Just don't believe we will get any real VR on a console that was dated years ago, no matter how much magic they put into a headset. Google Cardboard offers VR as well, that does not make me want to use it tho,...

..again, really looking forward to test this and either laugh my ass off, or be amazed.

20 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Good on sony, now just make it for every game

Then they're gonna have to lower the resolution to like 480p.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

33 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

I am really interested in seeing how the super cheap and slow package of PS4+PSVR compare to the 3x more expensive minimum specs of PC + Occulus / Vive.

Just don't believe we will get any real VR on a console that was dated years ago, no matter how much magic they put into a headset. Google Cardboard offers VR as well, that does not make me want to use it tho,...

..again, really looking forward to test this and either laugh my ass off, or be amazed.

It's more like 2x the price. 

19 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Then they're gonna have to lower the resolution to like 480p.

thats a bit optimistic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

windows_2857-101294339433.gif

The next quake game on ps4 VR ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

21 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Good on sony, now just make it for every game

15 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

Good for Sony. But God damn that took forever, that shit should had been mandatory on all console games not just VR.

So why do people insist that there needs to be forced rules to tell developers how they should make their games. Should something like Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, Quantum Break, or Uncharted be forced to confine by the same standards as Call of Duty, Battlefront, sports games and other stuff that runs at 60 fps

15 hours ago, Sauron said:

I'm just leaving this here, it's an open world game running 1080 60 on ps4 and it didn't drop one time in gameplay in some 80hrs that the game was tested. Obviously this game has a large amount of headroom, I wouldn't think it'd be 90hz head room, but I believe this game in its entirety could be put on PSVR hassle free

9 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

I'm just leaving this here, it's an open world game running 1080 60 on ps4 and it didn't drop one time in gameplay in some 80hrs that the game was tested. Obviously this game has a large amount of headroom, I wouldn't think it'd be 90hz head room, but I believe this game in its entirety could be put on PSVR hassle free

the problem is you need headroom ABOVE 90 fps. Not a max fps of 90.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

the problem is you need headroom ABOVE 90 fps. Not a max fps of 90.

Well PSVR *needs* 60fps,  90 would be better, but we don't know how well the game runs unlocked. You can't allow 60-90 or 90-120 fluctuating either as that will make people sick too. 

I'm calling moving goal posts though, its an open world game with  high constant frame rate. You said it's not possible. Im not certain something like watch dogs big city could be done as well at 60fps 

But so far what's confirmed is 2 arena shooters (Rigs and battlezone) and probably a couple FPS games like Battlefront is confirmed, Drive Club and PCars too I think 

I'm fairly certain we won't see a big push for large open world PSVR Games outside maybe Space Sims, but that's seems to be more in line with offering smaller tighter experiences on the hardware. High mobility games show the technology better than a game like GTA where half the game is spent listening to the radio driving to the next mission