Sony to reject any PlaystationVR games that drop below 60fps.

CGurrell

60fps on console? Whaaaa? 

Yeah you read it right, according to KitGuru, Sony are going to reject any PSVR titles that drop below 60fps. Personally, im not exactly sure how this will work. Will game developers have to lower graphical/texture qualities to keep the refresh rate up? Furthermore, is 60fps even enough for VR when the likes of Oculus and HTC prefer I believe 90fps? Sony is offering 60, 90 and 120fps options to developers, but have stated anything below 60fps will be rejected. 

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/sony-to-reject-any-playstation-vr-games-that-drop-below-60-fps/

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

whelp, if any AAA titles that support vr come out, ps4 folks will be out of luck

/s

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Just now, Vivilacqua1 said:

whelp, if any AAA titles that support vr come out, ps4 folks will be out of luck

/s

This couldn't be any more true

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Good on sony, now just make it for every game

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, swordsman247 said:

Well, they will have a fun time making that not drop below 60 fps with a good looking game like that.

I wonder of any games at 120fps will come out for the psvr. Doubt it. I don't think there will be any good chance for console vr untill next generation with Sony's standards.

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

90 and 120hz both will be interpolated afaik so it will look like garbage.

Most of their games probably won't be AAA material as that's not doable on a console if they have such a high framerate target, or they go down to last gen graphics quality to ensure the VR requirements.

DICE will probably make a diorama simulator for VR xD

144Hz goodness

This is awesome. Of course they'll be dropping the qraphical fidelity on VR titles, but the same is happening on PC side of things also. I hope that PSVR will be widely adopted, which will increase the production and adoption also on PC.

Personally I don't see myself being an adopter for at least 2+ years, I am going to wait and see how things smooth out (if at all).

Let's hope that the games doesn't look too bad because you literally will be able to see it. Is this locked on the PS4 or open to the PC as well? They'd probably generate more sales if it isn't locked down.

Just now, Vivilacqua1 said:

Well, they will have a fun time making that not drop below 60 fps with a good looking game like that.

I wonder of any games at 120fps will come out for the psvr. Doubt it. I don't think there will be any good chance for console vr untill next generation with Sony's standards.

Yeah pretty much

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

4 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Let's hope that the games doesn't look too bad because you literally will be able to see it. Is this locked on the PS4 or open to the PC as well? They'd probably generate more sales if it isn't locked down.

It will probably be PS4/whatever comes next. I wish though.

that's what they did with their controllers, and I'm too impatient to get it to work.

So games will look like the last of us, not seeing any problems with that tbh.

It is not much lower than the "next-gen" standard.

They're probably saying 60 so they can do frame insertion to double the fps to 120. I doubt any game is natively going to run 120 fps. I'm assuming the 90 Hz support is there if a game can manage 90 fps on its own. I expect most titles to do the former. 

I'd imagine HSA and the ACEs built into GCN would would allow the framerates nesseciary.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

11281d.jpg

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

1 hour ago, CGurrell said:

1) Personally, im not exactly sure how this will work. Will game developers have to lower graphical/texture qualities to keep the refresh rate up?

Furthermore, is 60fps even enough for VR when the likes of Oculus and HTC prefer I believe 90fps? Sony is offering 60, 90 and 120fps options to developers, but have stated anything below 60fps will be rejected. 

1) Yes. There's no way around it.

2) No, it's not. And almost no developer will produce 90 or 120 fps content, the hardware is too slow and they'll want the game to run on standard mode as well. And that's why I think psvr will be a disaster. VR is not something you can market to the broad masses at this time. Lt. Avg. Joe will go out and buy the headset (for a whopping 400$ plus the external box), read nothing about it other than a single marketing leaflet and put it on, only to realize 60 fps is too low for him and he gets sick. That's when the angry mobs will raid the shop they bought psvr in and demand a refund. Unlike, say, the Oculus, the audience for this is much less informed on the matter and to make things worse, the headset itself is not up to par. I don't know who at Sony thought it was a good idea, but I and convinced it will be a clusterf**k.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, WarWeeny said:

So games will look like the last of us, not seeing any problems with that tbh.

It is not much lower than the "next-gen" standard.

If only the "next gen" standards weren't garbage...

On top of that the last of us is a game that was cleverly designed to contain as much eye candy as possible while keeping the performance high. The environments are very restrictive and there aren't too many characters on screen at a time. Make the game a little more action oriented and the pain will start.

Besides, I still don't think 60 fps is acceptable for vr.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If only the "next gen" standards weren't garbage...

On top of that the last of us is a game that was cleverly designed to contain as much eye candy as possible while keeping the performance high. The environments are very restrictive and there aren't too many characters on screen at a time. Make the game a little more action oriented and the pain will start.

Besides, I still don't think 60 fps is acceptable for vr.

most VR games will be limited in space, you will never get an open world VR, not until videocards and devices have matured enough to handle it.

And some of the showed games do look very good, Eve Valkyrie, ace combat 7, gran-turismo sport, and Robison all look good, so i do not fear games will look really bad on VR.

So, there will be no PSVR games then?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1440280280279.jpg

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~